Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Newcastle United - NUFC win 4-3 on pens (27/02/24) | Reaction: pg 70

Disco

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

'Disgraceful and embarrassing' :lol:

Dunno wtf people are watching and/or expecting at times. As has been the case with most of our sub-par performances (barring a couple of genuine stinkers) it was a mixed bag; like the boss said - some good bits, some bad bits. 

I fancied us to win well but it was apparent from the opening blows of the game that we were in for a battle. It's like people have never seen an FA Cup game before. 

If we're disgraceful and embarrassing then we lose that game handsomely. We actually won and deservedly so. 

:thup:

The other team get paid, too.

It wasn’t disgraceful by any means. The lads were trying but nothing was coming off and we looked massively disjointed and lacking any sense of what to do with the ball until the last twenty mins of normal time. It’s very hard to pick apart what’s going wrong at the moment. I think things will improve now that we can rotate and players can rest but I think we’ll remain inconsistent until the end of the season

8 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

:thup:

The other team get paid, too.

Yes, that means they should match us for effort, but by the same token, they get paid a lot less, so they shouldn't be able to match us for quality.

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It wasn’t disgraceful by any means. The lads were trying but nothing was coming off and we looked massively disjointed and lacking any sense of what to do with the ball until the last twenty mins of normal time. It’s very hard to pick apart what’s going wrong at the moment. I think things will improve now that we can rotate and players can rest but I think we’ll remain inconsistent until the end of the season

Yeah, there were quite a few 'not on the same wavelength' moments which stymied otherwise promising play.

1 minute ago, DahnSahf said:

Yeah, there were quite a few 'not on the same wavelength' moments which stymied otherwise promising play.

Remember a few between Barnes and Miley where they just passed the ball out of play. 

A midweek FA Cup 5th round game, away at a Championship side with a new manager is always going to be tough. Players raise their game, the whole club would have been up for it, increased attendance, first time in the 5th round v a Prem club in x amount of years etc. They played well. 

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yes, that means they should match us for effort, but by the same token, they get paid a lot less, so they shouldn't be able to match us for quality.

Yeah but as we know we have a good collection of championship quality players in our squad. 

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah but as we know we have a good collection of championship quality players in our squad. 

Then we should recognise them as such, but when I see valuations and expected transfer fees for some of these championship players I think we are maybe a bit deluded. :lol:

Didn't log on at all here during the match, probably for the best by the looks of some of it, watched it in the pub with some mates.

Thought it was fantastic entertainment, a cracking cup tie and just felt so good to win in a shootout. Went to bed happy, woke up looking for the time of next draw.

Credit to Blackburn, this is how an away tie to a championship team should have been and they were on it from the start. And this is how the Cup goes

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

why the fifteen minute delay again ffs. 

almost all of us were in by 7.15pm

On TF pod they said the team was late, don’t know if that was a factor. 

On TV the home end looked empty until very late on. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

On TF pod they said the team was late, don’t know if that was a factor. 

On TV the home end looked empty until very late on. 

yeah the home fans came in quite late.

Livid at Lascelles today like, i'm shattered today, all because he decided to run past a ball causing an extra 50 minutes of football. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

Livid at Lascelles today like, i'm shattered today, all because he decided to run past a ball causing an extra 50 minutes of football. :lol: 

Ironically I personally thought Lascelles was very good last night.  I had just mentioned it to the wife when he had that "brain fart".  She looked at me as if it was my fault

Edited by Rod

Didn’t think we were that bad to be honest. Sloppy in the final third and a bit ponderous at times, sure, but we were up against a well organized Blackburn side who seemingly had their tails up. I do think though that us being sliced apart on transitions is something to be worried about. Meh. We won, so I’ll choose to be happy.

Edited by McCormick

Feels as if the season of short squads, injuries, and upheaval is catching up to us. We just look mentally and physically tired every time we step on to a pitch. It's been quite some time since we've looked anywhere near our best, and I think it was always going to be inevitable that we would feel the pain of having squeezed by as long as we did. I think it's silly to blame Howe specifically, as he's merely a part of the whole club philosophy when it comes to training and squad management. I do think we will need to reassess how we do things this summer and prioritize depth more than we have. But it would be harsh in the extreme to make sweeping changes on the back of what feels like an inevitable drop in form. 

To me, it simply means this summer will be absolutely critical not only in terms of player recruitment, but also a reimagining of how we balance the squad and how we handle our fitness levels.