Newcastle United 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur (13/04/24) | Reaction: pg 36

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, Erikse said:

2b40a94c7d058f474dd7511f618ad462.thumb.png.ef843475ffc55846100f1afeca4e1483.png

27% possessiong vs 73%, but in terms of xG we're 3.15 vs 0.74.:lol: That's wild.

Possession isn't worth much. Give me threat and xg all day.

Edited by David Edgar

Just now, David Edgar said:

Possession isn't worth much. Give me field tilt.

It's still bizarre numbers. How often is a team with 27% possession this dominant.

I guess some people also forget, or don't know, that possession % is taken from counting passes. Spurs had LOTS of ineffective ball retention passes that did nothing for them. But they all tick the possession figures upwards.

It didn't even feel like they had the ball more than us, I realised we were playing for the counter but they didn't seem to be able to string more passes together than us. I don't really think possession stats work in games like this felt more like neither team ever 'retained' possession it was more battle of press. In reality when they had the ball we pressed them into giving it up and then we didn't waste any time and got the ball to the front 3 as quick as we could (and not in some hoofball manner either).

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

It didn't even feel like they had the ball more than us, I realised we were playing for the counter but they didn't seem to be able to string more passes together than us. I don't really think possession stats work in games like this felt more like neither team ever 'retained' possession it was more battle of press. In reality when they had the ball we pressed them into giving it up and then we didn't waste any time and got the ball to the front 3 as quick as we could (and not in some hoofball manner either).

This, all of it

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Is this an attempt to goad him?

He's been on this forum for decades, leave him be

Aye, he’s one of the best posters on here and extremely fair. Doubt he’ll be triggered by it at all but it’s a bit silly. If it was our favourite Frog I could understand it 

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

It's still bizarre numbers. How often is a team with 27% possession this dominant.

Weren’t too threatening with all that possession either. They had 1 big chance. 

29 minutes ago, Erikse said:

The Possession stat is just a straight sum of passes that both teams made, it’s nothing to do with time on the ball. Just means we allowed them a lot of the ball in places that couldn’t hurt us. And effective counter attacking performance will often produce stats like that. 

24 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I didnt see the whole game, but looked like we were defending 5-4-1 without the ball? Anderson was following Porro all the way. Seemed to work perfectly.

We were defending man-to-man so Anderson was defending wherever Porro was. Both their full backs come infield sometimes so sometimes we were defending in a back 4, sometimes it looked like a 5. It was some seriously good coaching from Howe and the team to drill it as well as they did.  

Yep Son was coming all the way back to midfield and Schar was following him all the way. Isak man marked Hojbjerg too at times meaning he was helping our defence. 

It reminded me of the PSG home game, our press and man marking system worked brilliantly

Just now, joeyt said:

Yep Son was coming all the way back to midfield and Schar was following him all the way. Isak man marked Hojbjerg too at times meaning he was helping our defence. 

It reminded me of the PSG home game, our press and man marking system worked brilliantly

There's such immense satisfaction in that. Not the first time Howe has absolutely bullied his counterpart in the other dugout. Players executed it so well, like. Only saw the first half but Schar absolutely nailed whilst doing some stuff on the ball too; what a player he is.

Yeah, Isak was always on Bissouma/Hojberg which left both Barnes and Gordon free to press/intercept and just generally prevent them from building up properly. Also left them free on the counter which was lethal. It was great to watch.

Edited by Smal

I absolutely love a Spurs implosion at SJP. This year, last year and the Robert bangers were absolutely incredible games. 

Just now, TRC said:

I absolutely love a Spurs implosion at SJP. This year, last year and the Robert bangers were absolutely incredible games. 

Don't forget the 5-1 when we had ten men, were already relegated and they allowed Arsenal to overtake them