Crystal Palace 2-0 Newcastle United (24/04/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

Longstaff seeing the pass and then not playing it, messing about, they get more men back then he passes it....

He can make the pass so I guess he's a little low on confidence.

Good half! Clear to see what we’ve been working on for the past 11 days. Great composure from Burn, Murphy and Krafth. 
We’re cutting them to shreds. Just need a goal!

This set up doesn't work.

Palace press us high up the pitch and are in the tackle as soon as we're in possession, if we put more pace on the pitch, Hall/Tino, and we're snappier in the pass we can play a counter attacking game, as things stand they go with their front three pressing first, and the two midfielders supporting their press, Wharton has looked like Rodri at times, we absolutely need to go on the counter, or it's more of the same.

Just now, Lotus said:

Longstaff seeing the pass and then not playing it, messing about, they get more men back then he passes it....

Wasn't that Gordon ? :

Unless both did that :lol:

Not great but still in the game. Tino on at right back. Don’t care who for, but we need some quality in that position against Eze

With as much possession as they have had I actually think we had two of the better chances of the half. That failed backheel from Barnes to Gordon on the overlap looked like a sure goal. The Isak chance just went a few inches too far for him to get a toe to.

We are getting pressed and our wingers need to come short when we win the ball. They are immediately going for the through hall and it’s leaving us with no options as an outlet when we do get the ball back. Having just Bruno and Sean in CM means we need LWB and RWB to help in that regard as well but it’s hard for moments where we have just won posession and they are behind the ball. 

Simple adjustment. Gordon and Barnes come short and show for a pass to feet in those situations. Isak as well drop in to retain possession. We are in full counter mode and we don’t need to be. 

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I’ve noticed this as well. He has zero confidence to play any progressive passes. Sideways or backwards only. Even if there are clear options ahead of him 

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's the mark of the lesser footballer. Noticeable how efficient Bruno is when he receives the ball and gets it out of his feet, equally it's noticeable how slow the likes of Longstaff and Burn are, needing three touches to control it then taking an age to find a pass....which is usually backwards.

At one point, I think a promising attack in their final third. Ended up back with Murphy. He took three touches the wrong way and ended up back near our goal :lol: 

Harsh to keep singling the same players out. When they have performed so admirably and have often been playing because of needs must. But that right hand side three of Krafth, Murphy and Longstaff is atrocious. Not managed to build anything there and lost count of how many times we’ve lost it. 

The left is marginally better……

Also, I would have loved us to sign Wharton, looks a hell of a player and could have finally given us another option at 6 as well as being able to play an 8 as well

Just now, Sufi said:

I’ve noticed this as well. He has zero confidence to play any progressive passes. Sideways or backwards only. Even if there are clear options ahead of him 

It's a shame because he can strike the ball well (when passing).

Formation change, perhaps. Feel like Anderson is stuck between two positions. Whereas Murphy is just pushed out wide all the time and offering fuck all. Doesn’t feel like it is working as it is.  

Lack of quality behind Bruno is what's killing us, too much retention and no vision to get the ball out quickly, I'd be tempted to bring Hall and Livra on, I think Burn and Schar will be fine shepherding the back line. We're giving then too much time to close us down and when we do get it out, too much time to reset the lines and no space for our front 3.

What the fuck is wrong with Lewis Hall ffs?!

We’ve got a right winger playing right back, a right back playing centre back and a centre back playing left back. Bring Hall on and we can play the whole defence in their proper positions. 

What the fuck am I missing?

Just now, Holmesy said:

We’ve got a right winger playing right back, a right back playing centre back and a centre back playing left back. Bring Hall on and we can play the whole defence in their proper positions. 

I agree. To play devils advocate this same side just turned spurs over. I think tactically our back 5 and quick counter isn’t matching up well with palace and their counter pressing

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

He shagged Eddie's lass

10 minutes ago, wormy said:

Who's had a worse first half? The team or the forum? Getting bad gateways now n'all.

Any better last few minutes?