Manchester United 3-2 Newcastle United (15/05/24) | Reaction: pg 53

Yorkie

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, duo said:

I missed the game as was out - can someone sum it? were we robbed a pen again? did dubs just do nought again?

A bit of everything, poor, sometimes decent, missed loads of chances, poor defending, really poor goalkeeping, poor refereeing. We never looked right imo. At 1-0 and 1-1 we looked better but at 2-1 you just knew.

Edited by Kid Icarus

27 minutes ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Another game, another poor performance, really poor defensively and in the final third

Would rather we finished 8th now then play against some random team from Lithuania on a Thursday night

Dubravka - 4

Hall - 6

Burn - 5

Kraft - 5

Trippier - 4

Anderson - 5

Bruno - 5.5

Longstaff - 4

Gordon - 6.5

Murphy - 5

Isak - 5

Barnes - 5

Almiron - 5

Schar - 5

Joelinton - 5

Come on man. We lost a game but that’s ridiculous. We genuinely could have scored 5 goals and that’s being kind.

Utterly frustrating we’ve got nothing to show for that but sadly you’ll get games like that a couple of times a season. We played well just defended terribly. 

In better news, they’ll stick with Ten Hag and they’ll be gash again next year. There’ll be talk of binning him, then he’ll get a lucky result and back to square one. The Man United we grew up watching dominate are years and years away.

21 minutes ago, ChrisJbarnes said:

We are not yet in the position whereby we can demand a result at Old Trafford with an injury ravaged squad. 

What a frustrating game and result. A spirited performance and plenty of attacking intent but glaring chances missed and gifting 3 goals more or less to Man U.

I can't knock the attitude of the players and the coaching has been great but ultimately the limitations of our squad players (who have been our XI for pretty much the whole season) have been perfectly demonstrated. Longstaff, Anderson (young), Krafth, Dubravka, Murphy are not players that we really want near the starting XI if we are going to progress.

That and a poor performance from Trippier. 

I believe and hope we can beat Brentford which would be a good way to end the season on a high in 7th and respectable given all that's happened. Fail to win and we don't deserve any sort of Europe. 

Perfectly summed up. Still in ourhands. We just need to deliver. 

1 minute ago, McDog said:

Season took a hard right turn after Pope went down. Gotta win this weekend. I'd like to see Popey start in London.

Dubs needs flogging like, blokes scared of his own line and the edge of the box at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

A bit of everything, poor, sometimes decent, missed loads of chances, poor defending, really poor goalkeeping, poor refereeing. We never looked right imo. At 1-0 and 1-1 we looked better but at 2-1 you just knew.

Thought he gave us a fair bit tbh. Unless you mean the bar [/rafa]

17 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Did I hear the commentator right..."Man United haven't lost after going ahead in a league game at Old Trafford since 1984" !?! Surely I misheard or that's a lie.

That’s what he said. 

Poor finishing aside, we never stopped. I don't see that we bottled that in any way tbh, we attacked it for the full 90 and poor decisions in either box cost us. Can't say the lads didn't try 

4 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

I gave up watching with the Man U contingent in the sky 6 studio, what was said?

He said I don't see the point in it, I told my team mates don't worry its a penalty, only to learn check was complete,  and my achilies was shredded, I believe it can work, but it needs to start with the officials in Var getting the decisions right if the on field ref doesn't see it.

Along those lines.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Poor finishing aside, we never stopped. I don't see that we bottled that in any way tbh, we attacked it for the full 90 and poor decisions in either box cost us. Can't say the lads didn't try 

I don’t think you can fault the effort. Just lacking a bit of guile/class/craft/skill, call it what you will, but we all know top top players find the pass, see the space, produce a moment of magic, particularly in big games. Too many not quite on it tonight and two or three just don’t quite have it. 

8 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Yeah. 'Bottled it' is somehow synonymous now with losing any particularly high stakes match. There was nothing wrong with our bottle as you say, we just weren't effective enough. It was very similar to a lot of performances away from home this season, especially Chelsea. 

Edit: actually, thinking back, Chelsea was one where we weren't as committed as I thought we should've been. 

just frustrating. all you can say. good effort .. one or two dodgy performances but frustrating in front of goal. it happens.. annoying as it is  

19 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought he gave us a fair bit tbh. Unless you mean the bar [/rafa]

'Officiating' I should say. Thought he was poor first half, better second. I didn't spot the pen until the final angle but they didn't at all and it's their job. 

So, so disappointed with not getting a point tonight. Would have fucking loved a win and Europa League, but even Conference would be terrific. But can see us being deflated and not winning on Sunday now (hopefully that's just my blues talking).

15 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

That is true and Gordon may have been able to charge down one goal but was limping badly. I thought they gave it all they could, just weren't good enough.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

One more game then hopefully we'll never have to see 3 or 4 of those players in a Newcastle shirt ever again :)

Harsh but true. Some of these players are not cut out for this and never ever will be.

Edited by Donut

Posted (edited)

So annoyed at the Diallo goal. He was unmarked with ample space inside the box from their very first corner, would have thought we'd adjust after he had two decent chances from the corners. Was sure Howe would go over it during HT or the players having enough awareness to not leave him free in the box every corner they had.

Edited by Ridman

Just now, Ridman said:

So annoyed at the Diallo goal. He was unmarked with ample space inside the box from their very first corner, would have thought we'd adjust after he had two decent chances from the corners. Was sure Howe would go over it during HT or the players having enough awareness to not leave him free on the far-post every corner they had.

Thats on the coaches - they should see that and start fucking managing the players.

1 minute ago, worthy said:

Thats on the coaches - they should see that and start fucking managing the players.

Tindall is the defence coach 

19 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I don’t think you can fault the effort. Just lacking a bit of guile/class/craft/skill, call it what you will, but we all know top top players find the pass, see the space, produce a moment of magic, particularly in big games. Too many not quite on it tonight and two or three just don’t quite have it. 

I did think they looked a lot sharper and more aggressive in the press than us, and that was a surprise. I always thought they had more quality in their squad, just surprised they seemed to want it more.

Infuriates me even more that we came across a Man U that was clearly arsed just the majority of the crowd and we totally shit our pants