Group A: 1. Germany, 2. Switzerland, 3. Hungary, 4. Scotland

Big River

Steve Clarke auditioning for GB news as he’ll be out of a job soon. 

Honestly, take a look at yourself and your tactics before complaining about anything else. I know they don’t have quality players but there are other teams with weak squads who showed so much more than Scotland 

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Going to be a sucker punch if 2 points did end up being enough as well. Only takes Spain and Italy beating Albania and Croatia, plus Czechia losing to Turkiye.

Would also need Portugal to beat Georgia (likely, but we're getting to depending on 4 games).

2 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

That's as embarrassing as fuck.

(and anyway still think it was correct call)

Also does he not actually referee in Spain? It said (ESP) on him on the telly. Doesn't matter like.

Also speaks perfect English.

12 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Varga concsious and stable in hospital (BBC)

:thup:

Fractured cheekbone and the impact caused the seizure. 

Funny how innocuous it looked. It shows how frail we actually are in the grand scheme of things. 

13 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

If that pen call happens for Newcastle, we'd all be shouting for a pen tbf.

I mean I’m a Scotland fan - I was calling for it in real time, but on replay I’m not convinced. Think it’s one of those where call either way is reasonable. The ‘can’t understand how it wasn’t given’ irritates me, looks easy for me to see how. 

30 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I mean I’m a Scotland fan - I was calling for it in real time, but on replay I’m not convinced. Think it’s one of those where call either way is reasonable. The ‘can’t understand how it wasn’t given’ irritates me, looks easy for me to see how. 

I'm not saying it's an absolute robbery or anything. But I do think VAR should make ref look at the decision again. As I said last night, if ref looks at screen and says no pen, that's fine. 

Edited by samptime29

The problem with that is that 99% of the time the ref looks at the screen and gives the decision, it's almost theatrical window dressing at that point. It's not that VAR didn't look at it - they look at everything. They just didn't recommend a review.

The pen is at best debatable, not nailed on at all. Not sure what Armstrong is doing, he makes no attempt to get the ball under control and instead makes a weird jump across the defender. He initiates the contact as far as I can see.

If anything its a foul by Armstrong. Accidentally or otherwise he causes the initial trip that causes the Hungarian to begin to fall and makes sure of it by hauling him down by his shirt. Its one thing to get in front of the defenders but you don't see people do it in that obvious and ungainly a fashion which made it at least look very much look like he was desperate for contact to take the dive.

All the Hungarian arguably did wrong was get his arm slightly across the chest and it would have been extremely harsh to give it for that.

Daft really as it was by far their best chance of the game and should have been more concerrned with getting a shot off.

*Also wants a "European" ref. Like they speak Argentinian in Argentina.

Edited by Wolfcastle