Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

kane said the likes of lineker have a "responsibility" to be supportive of the team.

i honestly think the whole squad and their manager think they havent been as bad as the public think, and have done alright.

its unbelievable.

8 minutes ago, huss9 said:

kane said the likes of lineker have a "responsibility" to be supportive of the team.

i honestly think the whole squad and their manager think they havent been as bad as the public think, and have done alright.

its unbelievable.

He didn’t. He says it be helpful if they were supportive. The responsibility was in regards to highlighting that players and fans do look up to them what they say. Thought he quite cleverly separated the issues personally.

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

its unbelievable.

What they say in public and what they say in private will always be two very different things when asked questions about their performance. Especially when they haven't actually lost a game and have already qualified from the group. 

They clearly know it's not been perfect, from Southgates comments post match you can tell he knows it's not going to plan. But I'd be hugely surprised if he actually makes any sweeping changes to tactics that he's no doubt been working on since the 2022 World Cup.

With a bit of luck Gallagher will pick up another yellow and be suspended for the round of 16 game, the only change of him coming in for TAA is exactly what I thought Southgate would do. Gallagher is the most limited technically of the other 2 CM options (Mainoo & Wharton) but Southgate will love that he runs around a bit.

I'm not sure where Southgate goes from here after the tournament ends, if he's not good enough to have a decent technical set up with a few months worth of notice how would he manage having to set up a team up twice a week for the best part of 10 months. I don't think he can be a club manager.

Edited by KDT

3 minutes ago, KDT said:

With a bit of luck Gallagher will pick up another yellow and be suspended for the round of 16 game, the only change of him coming in for TAA is exactly what I thought Southgate would do. Gallagher is the most limited technically of the other 2 CM options (Mainoo & Wharton) but Southgate will love that he runs around a bit.

I'm not sure where Southgate goes from here after the tournament ends, if he's not good enough to have a decent technical set up with a few months worth of notice how would he manage having to set up a team up twice a week for the best part of 10 months. 

Trent back in next game then :lol:

No real gripe with Gallagher coming into the side. I like his tenacity and Trent obviously has to be removed. There's nothing left to argue in favour of persisting with that experiment. 

However, seeing as we're through and we're not facing a particularly strong opponent, there are few risks associated with trying one more time to see if the team can finally start gelling with Foden on the left.

If there isn't a significant improvement to the team's performance then it really, really, really needs to be jettisoned. If there was anything major to play for going into this game I'd say it should be binned immediately, but there isn't. 

I don't have high hopes, like, but when Southgate has stuck to his guns in the past (picking Sterling, not dropping Kane in Euro 2020), he has been totally vindicated. So am prepared to give him that grace. 

I'd expect to see a bit of a reaction in the Slovenia game, a bit disappointing he's only swapped in Gallagher rather than experimenting a bit more, but there you go. In isolation, it's not a bad change - at least Gallagher is playing a more familiar role and not out of position.

Gordon could help him hugely but that's been said before, and better. Maybe he'll get a run in the second half.

Wouldn't be surprised if England top the group easily and get through the next couple of rounds. Then, the talk will be about just having needed time to get the team to gel, coming good at the right time, the important thing being qualification etc.

That's all true, and I've criticised Southgate for some things in the past without giving him credit for all the good things he has definitely done, so I don't want to be too critical.

Like many, I'm just not convinced about his selections, his tactics or his ability to influence a game enough to think he's the manager to win a tournament.

I think it will need a captain style player to step up and drive the team on when it gets tough. Been a bit disappointed in Rice so far to be honest - given how he plays in the league I thought he might be that player.

55 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I'd expect to see a bit of a reaction in the Slovenia game, a bit disappointing he's only swapped in Gallagher rather than experimenting a bit more, but there you go. In isolation, it's not a bad change - at least Gallagher is playing a more familiar role and not out of position.

Gordon could help him hugely but that's been said before, and better. Maybe he'll get a run in the second half.

Wouldn't be surprised if England top the group easily and get through the next couple of rounds. Then, the talk will be about just having needed time to get the team to gel, coming good at the right time, the important thing being qualification etc.

That's all true, and I've criticised Southgate for some things in the past without giving him credit for all the good things he has definitely done, so I don't want to be too critical.

Like many, I'm just not convinced about his selections, his tactics or his ability to influence a game enough to think he's the manager to win a tournament.

I think it will need a captain style player to step up and drive the team on when it gets tough. Been a bit disappointed in Rice so far to be honest - given how he plays in the league I thought he might be that player.

still blame him for the italy loss in the last final.

if we'd have gone for it and lost then it would have just been tough luck and "glorious failure"  like in 86, 90, 96, 98.

So it will be:

Pickford

Walker     Stones      Guehi      Tripps 

Gallagher   Rice

Saka     Bellingham   Foden

Kane

2 hours ago, Magpie said:

So it will be:

Pickford

Walker     Stones      Guehi      Tripps 

Gallagher   Rice

Saka     Bellingham   Foden

Kane

Not sure if the gaping chasm on the left was deliberate or not :lol: but looks about right 

16 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Kane not dropping back to LB would be canny too. 

The problem Kane has, if he doesn't drop back he'll end up touching the ball about twice. It's not like we've found a way to get the ball to him otherwise is it.

If only we had a left winger available who could use his ridiculous pace to stretch the game and give Kane space.

Kane drops deep to collect the ball, we've got no runners behind, Kane stays up top to threaten their goal, he's got no service on the wings through lack of width...

Southgate: If I swap Trent out for Gallagher that'll solve all our problems.

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

Kane drops deep to collect the ball, we've got no runners behind, Kane stays up top to threaten their goal, he's got no service on the wings through lack of width...

Southgate: If I swap Trent out for Gallagher that'll solve all our problems.

It's madness really. Stubbornness, arrogance or maybe a bit of both. 

Just now, Likelylad said:

It's madness really. Stubbornness, arrogance or maybe a bit of both. 

It's got to be willful ignorance at this point, there's no way the whole of the country, pundits included, can see what needs to change and he doesn't, has to be some kind of self sabotage for pride.

I think he has shown stubbornness throughout his tenure.

Be it Maguire, Henderson or Phillips when the public and press have turned on them

Or Foden, Grealish, Gordon or another player in form being asked to play in the team.

But maybe it's due to the ridicule he got after missing the penalty in 1996? 

https://youtu.be/-SSFwUY6BA0?si=A09-QoFGiXSYtWZS