James Trafford

Posted (edited)

Not sure why anyone would turn their nose up at this, his attributes are more suited to our style than Popes are (Trafford actually has feet) and in goalkeeper years he’s pretty much still a child. £16m for the potential return for years to come from him is a no brainer and he will have been identified as a player that has a lot of room to grow into here. 

Just look at how deep we had to stay with Dubs in, how many points did it cost us? At the very least if Trafford doesn’t come in and start then he’s good competition for Pope next season, and if Pope goes down we won’t have to drastically adjust our system again. It’s an absolute must have signing imo.

Edited by Nine

Posted (edited)

He obviously has something about him and he's only young but it's a lot of money for someone who was dropped by Burnley , would rather have him than Ramsdale though

Even if he is terrible he will be a much better number two than that clown we had last season.

Edited by Geogaddi

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Nine said:

Not sure why anyone would turn their nose up at this, his attributes are more suited to our style than Popes are (Trafford actually has feet) and in goalkeeper years he’s pretty much still a child. £16m for the potential return for years to come from him is a no brainer and he will have been identified as a player that has a lot of room to grow into here. 

Just look at how deep we had to stay with Dubs in, at the very least with Trafford for next season as competition for Pope if Pope goes down again we won’t have to drastically adjust our system again. It’s an absolute must have signing imo.

Our scouts and Manager seem to think so too, IF the story is correct. Good enough for me. 

Edited by PauloGeordio

23 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Young, potential, good with his feet. Imo too flappy and weak but in a few years that might change. 

Will come in as the clear number two and will have a chance to work on his strength and dealing with crosses.

He'll also be learning behind one of the best at it. 

At 6 ft 6 and just 21 years old, will still be growing into his body. Looks like he's highly rated and has big potential.

Should be in position to take over from Pope as he ages out.

Solid signing.

Going forward we needed an upgrade or a challenger to Pope, we ended up with barely an upgrade on Dubravka.

Hopefully in time he will grow into a top goalkeeper, but if Popes shoulder injury is an intermittent issue, Trafford could end up playing a lot of games, and if he's not ready that could spell disaster.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Quite happy with the signing at that price tbh, he has massive potential and we have already seen what Howe can do with a rough diamond.

The fact Beth disagrees sealed it for me. I will stupidly side with our team of experts 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Nine said:

Just look at how deep we had to stay with Dubs in, how many points did it cost us? At the very least if Trafford doesn’t come in and start then he’s good competition for Pope next season, and if Pope goes down we won’t have to drastically adjust our system again. It’s an absolute must have signing imo.

No one's doubting we need a new GK but this is still a decent amount for someone who is being bought for potential imo.  I haven't been impressed when I've seen him in all honesty.

I do agree with those who say he probably needs game time in the championship etc if he was to be signed but can we afford that?

Edited by El Prontonise

Posted (edited)

If we get the Trafford I saw in the U21s last year then brilliant, he looked class.

Can't say I paid much attention to him last season or whether Burnley being shite had much to do with him or not though.

Edited by Kid Icarus

21 years old keeper with 1 season of league 1 and 1 season of PL experience to train, learn, provide competition and cover for Pope? Sounds good to me. 

Initially didn't want him, but at that price it's a no-brainer tbh. Any length of time with Dubravka as our keeper season will leave us vulnerable.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Initially didn't want him, but at that price it's a no-brainer tbh. Any length of time with Dubravka as our keeper season will leave us vulnerable.

I get this but surely he needs games as this time in his career, surely pope would still be a starter...

Edited by El Prontonise

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

but if people think there are 21 year old goalkeepers that are world class then they might need a reality check.

Dont think thats the issue really.

It makes logical sense in that if you go big on a 'keeper it means Pope also has to be replaced because he's far too good to be a number 2.

Doing it this way means that we spend less, Pope stays, there's less disruption, we have better backup, and Trafford can potentially replace Pope in the way it's becoming apparent that Tino will replace Trippier.