Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Key point being missed this.  I suspect that the Tonali transfer will have further fueled this as a concern, too (not looking to bring up whether or not we should have known etc).  

Yeah, it certainly didn't help.

That issue with Tonali, essentially cost us at least the Europa League place, and probably a Champions League place even, if he had really performed to what the club was expecting.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, KaKa said:

Yeah, it certainly didn't help.

That issue with Tonali, essentially cost us at least the Europa League, and probably the Champions League even, if he had really performed to what the club was expecting.

Yeah, I think so too.   Hard not to imagine with Tonali in the team we don't pick up an extra couple of points.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I think so too.   Hard not to imagine with Tonali in the team we don't pick up an extra couple of points.

Basically left us with Bruno holding the hole midfield together last season.

The biggest kick in the nuts was of course losing joelinton.  It was painful to see the likes of Luton and Everton ust walk through our midfield in that nasty mid season period 

3 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Basically left us with Bruno holding the hole midfield together last season.

The biggest kick in the nuts was of course losing joelinton.  It was painful to see the likes of Luton and Everton ust walk through our midfield in that nasty mid season period 

Aye, that run of seven losses in eight absolutely knackered us.  No chance with Tonali and Bruno (+ A.N.Other) we go on that run.  Joelinton's loss was an absolute killer

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I don't mind DCL as an option depending on what sort of fee we are talking about, however for me RW is the main priority, i would've liked someone like Jonathan David who play both ST and RW.

There's over two months until the end of the window; the 2024/25 season doesn't start until 1st July for FFP purposes.  I would have thought that the club selling Minteh and signing DCL would end up in the 2023/24 accounts - which would likely lead to them remaining balanced.

Signing DCL does not preclude the club signing a RW before September

9 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I don't mind DCL as an option depending on what sort of fee we are talking about, however for me RW is the main priority, i would've liked someone like Jonathan David who play both ST and RW.

Yeah finding a back up , 2nd option striker is hard. Clubs hands are tied financially to an extent so they can’t shell out fortunes on a striker and RW. I still think bulk of our money will go on RW.

44 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

How are people going to justify a fee north of £20m to themselves? Looking forward to the mental gymnastics. 

I've already outlined why a fee of 20/25m isn't much these days and spread across 5 years isn't going to kill us, especially with Callum Wilsons likely exit factored in.

The mental gymnastics, as far as I can tell, is coming from those who refused to trust our transfer team.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah finding a back up , 2nd option striker is hard. Clubs hands are tied financially to an extent so they can’t shell out fortunes on a striker and RW. I still think bulk of our money will go on RW.

If we spend £37m on DCL and whatever silly fee Kilman would cost (rumours in the press say £50m) there is no way we are signing a blockbuster RW.

4 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

If we spend £37m on DCL and whatever silly fee Kilman would cost (rumours in the press say £50m) there is no way we are signing a blockbuster RW.

no way at all we spend £37m on DCL and wolves will never get £50m for kilman.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Thought it might be worth having a quick neb at Grand Old Team to see what the consensus is on DCL, but Chrome won't automatically translate feral to English so I gave up. 

i think there's a link on RTG that lets you do that.

11 minutes ago, STM said:

I've already outlined why a fee of 20/25m isn't much these days and spread across 5 years isn't going to kill us, especially with Callum Wilsons likely exit factored in.

The mental gymnastics, as far as I can tell, is coming from those who refused to trust our transfer team.

I think that's true, but I also think there may be some slightly unrealistic expectations of who we'll be able to sign and how much we'll be able to spend.  

Theoretically, how many goals do you think DCL would score as a starting striker in this Newcastle side? 10-15?

if so, we’re looking at a forward dept that has 30-35 goals in them, I can’t think of that many teams in the league that have that?

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought it might be worth having a quick neb at Grand Old Team to see what the consensus is on DCL, but Chrome won't automatically translate feral to English so I gave up. 

I remember what they said when Gordon left.  Consensus seemed to be we'd had our pants taken down.

Wonder what they think now?

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think that's true, but I also think there may be some slightly unrealistic expectations of who we'll be able to sign and how much we'll be able to spend.  

Slightly?

Personally I'd be quite excited by this signing. He's consistently demonstrated that he can score goals in this league and he's a good age. Cut-price deals for players like that are as rare as rocking horse shit so I'm not surprised we'd go for it rather than gamble on someone untested.

He's a different sort of striker to Isak meaning he's an alternative option and someone who can potentially be used in a two. Robbing those horrendous fucks' first choice striker and demonstrating our places in the respective food chain would also be chef's kiss.

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Worth noting that Wilson only managed double figures in a PL season once at Bournemouth.  He's done alright here

Aye, although we were in a completely different position when we signed Wilson to be fair.

9 hours ago, Virtua Stiva said:

Nobody that is on anyone’s wish list would be willing to play second fiddle to Isak for 75% of the season. 

Why do they have to play second fiddle? 

44 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I still think we start buying properly in August - this is about balancing for PSR and Minteh. Getting DCL in for this price while we can (his price will go up in  August as it will be too late for Everton to avoid PSR punishment may just be so we can but RW etc then. 

9 hours ago, SteV said:

Was Gordon on anyone’s wish list?

Sometimes links come up and then the more you think about it, the more you think it makes sense.

You can't compare Gordon and DCL - Gordon was an unknown entity for most but DCL - he has been in the PL for many years and his scoring record/injury record is there for all to see.  And no can deny it is average at best.  I would rather we kept Wilson if this is his replacement as I rate Wilson far higher.

"Dom makes the rest of the team better way more than any other CF on our books.

I’d be tempted to let his contract run down as without him leading the line, we are gonna struggle real bad.

Bad bad move selling him now."

"

Though it makes financial sense to let him go, don't underestimate just how important he is for us. We actually look like a team when he plays. He will be a massive miss (even from a defence point of view) and we are either going to have to change how we play or find a replacement who can do 80/90% of what Dom can."

Just a few examples. Most Everton fans don't want to sell him. I wouldn't underestimate him, he's not a world beater but as a 2nd striker, he's not average.