Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

Just now, Whitley mag said:

He’s tried to sign the managers top target, unless folk want us to have our eye balls ripped out where right to walk away.

I’m sure he has floated other options, but the manager needs to want them as well.

Which is fine, if that’s what comes out in the wash and we under perform because of that Eddie would have to fall on his sword. 

It’s absolutely the critical the working structure is set up correctly for the club to function, for a sporting director to work, the manager has to work in tandem unless your man city your generally not getting your first choice targets everyone manager included has to be flexible. 

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

He’s tried to sign the managers top target, unless folk want us to have our eye balls ripped out where right to walk away.

I’m sure he has floated other options, but the manager needs to want them as well.

So does that mean we blame the manager for either being unrealistic or refusing to have a backup, if option A doesn’t come off?

I think it’s a combination of multiple factors including Mitchell coming in midway through the summer, are PIF flexible and decision making process is to slow and does the manager narrow his options due to certain requirements. 

I think it’s a combination of all the above at the minute.

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Some of you are dense, man. How many new sporting directors do we need to try out before we realize the problem with our transfer business probably lies elsewhere?

Do you know what a sure fire way to get people to agree with your point? Calling them dense needlessly.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Do you know what a sure fire way to get people to agree with your point? Calling them dense needlessly.

You can lead a horse to water.... Surely the third world class DoF, or perhaps fourth one, and we'll start to get our windows right.

39 minutes ago, jigen said:

Mitchell can't work. His job should be to scout international markets. But then Howe wants to spend the entire budget on the inflated PL market. And so Mitchell becomes useless.

30 words and 176 characters of made up jibberish. Highly impressive. 

Just now, Upthemags said:

You can lead a horse to water.... Surely the third world class DoF, or perhaps fourth one, and we'll start to get our windows right.

It’s a bit silly this post tbh, we’ve signed good players with Howe calling the shots. 

We will never know exactly what’s gone on but I’d hazard a guess the blame doesn’t solely rest with the gaffa. 

22 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think it’s a combination of multiple factors including Mitchell coming in midway through the summer, are PIF flexible and decision making process is to slow and does the manager narrow his options due to certain requirements. 

I think it’s a combination of all the above at the minute.

Mitchell's only been here barely a couple of months. I would think we'll have a better idea how he works over the next couple of transfer windows, right now we are probably chasing targets already identified before he landed.

The sporting directors job is to identify players and potential talent for the club. 

If howe has final say on transfers then what's the point of the club going with this model?

He's the head coach he should put his ten pence worth in and that's it.

And do his best with what he's got to work with. 

By him having final say it puts pressure on his job if things don't work out. 

Even last summer people were starting to see signs of us running out of ideas, because we seemed to focus on just a few PL players apart from Tonali. The window turned out okay, but there were still some small signs there, and it was pointed out in the transfer threads. This window just strengthens that idea by a huge amount. I can't get myself to blame Mitchell for this window since he arrived late, but he has quite some work to do here, because it has gotten increasingly worse over the last year.

Edited by Erikse

25 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Where do you live again, I have a sudden urge to invest in a local mattress business

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

6 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Even last summer people were starting to see signs of us running out of ideas, because we seemed to focus on just a few PL players apart from Tonali. The window turned out okay, but there were still some small signs there, and it was pointed out in the transfer threads. This window just strengthens that idea by a huge amount. I can't get myself to blame Mitchell for this window since he arrived late, but he has quite some work to do here, because it has gotten increasingly worse over the last year.

That's precisely why he's been brought in. His forte is signing players before they reach peak value, I would like to think in the next couple of windows we'll be focusing less on break the bank superstar signings like Guehi. We certainly don't want to see a repeat of what's happened this summer.

42 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Some of you are dense, man. How many new sporting directors do we need to try out before we realize the problem with our transfer business probably lies elsewhere?

It’s true. No EPL team wants to help us at all. We are clearly still seen as the fox in the hen house. It could be argued only Forest have been willing to do business with us. Chelsea also maybe. Guessing for their own desperate reasons. Every other club has been abroad or relegated.

Edited by LFEE