Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

He is well within his remit to do as he chooses with transfer policy. 

What I would ask is that after the window is closed, he sit down for a media session with journalists and face questioning. Don't send Eddie Howe out to do the mandated media appearance and force him to answer questions on things he ultimately doesn't control.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

Surely to goodness there has to be an alternative in the French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese leagues to Guehi? Who knows where the problem lies but at some point we have to go with the alternative, and between EH and PM they have to agree!

1 minute ago, Memphis said:

He is well within his remit to do as he chooses with transfer policy. 

What I would ask is that after the window is closed, he sit down for a media session with journalists and face questioning. Don't send Eddie Howe out to do the mandated media appearance and force him to answer questions on things he ultimately doesn't control.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

That's all well and good but we don't know if Mitchell has a list of alternatives but EH only wants Guehi.

The thing with someone like Mitchell is that he is so experienced at the highest level, that he would not only have access to a database with a bunch of players, but he will also have great contacts all over the place to recommend available players that fit the bill.

The signs aren't looking good at all, as it does seem we may be being too rigid with the kind of players we are looking at, and it is looking more and more likely that this is coming from the manager.

We've seen some really good names bandied about that could be alternatives, and if none come through by tomorrow, then I'm losing faith that this thing is going to work.

4 minutes ago, OverThere said:

That's all well and good but we don't know if Mitchell has a list of alternatives but EH only wants Guehi.

That's a question that could be posed to him. Among many others. Obviously he can choose to answer - or not - and I'm sure he would be discreet. But he needs to be the one facing the questions about the activity, or lack thereof, in the window. Ultimately he is the final decisionmaker and it's unfair to Howe to make him be the only one to try to explain the club's rationale.

18 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Starting to clearly tell a tone shift in posters here who want to see a new CB or winger here over respecting the work of Eddie Howe over the last 2.5 seasons. 

Nope, you can separate the two.

1) EH is a great coach.

2) We don't know about the power sharing in the recruitment area. If EH has the final say then PM could run into some issues if EH vetoes anything other than the top target. We may well keep ending up with no-one signed if that is the case. We don't really know what is going on here.

10 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Starting to clearly tell a tone shift in posters here who want to see a new CB or winger here over respecting the work of Eddie Howe over the last 2.5 seasons. 

Kanji man ...

This is so much bigger than just these two signings at this point.

However, it does seem to be exposing an issue in the way our structure has been put in place.

Once we had Amanda and Mehdrad bring Howe in before a DOF and allow him the freedom to run the recruitment, the precedent was set.

In actuality, the only way this whole thing would have worked is if the owners gave a contract to Amanda and Mehdrad to continue to run things, and perhaps promoted Nickson to DOF as he was already working in tandem with Howe regarding recruitment.

Ashworth has since come in and there have been issues there, with some not so ideal transfer decisions during that period. We tried for Freedman who seemed keen, but that fell through, and now you have to wonder if he heard something he didn't like during the process. Mitchell supposedly turned the role down first time around, until we went back to him and supposedly gave him more say over things.

Mitchell then comes in, and Howe's initial reaction was very tense, and stated concerns about being allowed to work how he had been previously. However, that was under Amanda and Mehdrad, who gave him final say on all matters, and supposedly isolated Ashworth. That didn't look like it was going to be allowed to continue with Amanda and Mehdrad now having left.

Howe has maintained we are shopping from a small pool of players, which I always found odd. But fine, if he states his preferences being from that pool. However, any difficulties with getting those players, and the DOF has to be allowed to move for alternatives.

It's looking like this is a huge issue though, and if so, I just don't see how it can continue.

It is going to be impossible for the DOF to put a plan in place without the cooperation from his manager/head coach.

If by tomorrow we have some other targets come in instead, then that would be a huge relief, and would point towards a more collaborative way of working that could come together over time.

If not though, I think we have a problem that is going to come to a head.

This season is quickly going down the shitter, like.

Not because I don't have faith in this squad and coach, but because these rumours of what happened during this window will swirl atleast until January. It's gonna fuck up our efforts on the pitch. There's already a shift of perception of Howe on here, and despite the daily bickering, this forum lean toward the patient side of our fanbase - so fuck knows how the daft support will take it. 

Edited by Weezertron

4 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Not because I don't have faith in this squad and coach, but because these rumours of what happened during this window will swirl atleast until January. It's gonna fuck up our efforts on the pitch. There's already a shift of perception of Howe on here, and despite the daily bickering, this forum lean toward the patient side of our fanbase - so fuck knows how the daft support will take it. 

The thing is I don't think any less of Howe, but if he has a particular way of working and it doesn't marry up with the direction the club is trying to go ... then a certain result is inevitable.

Guess we'll see what happens. Certainly won't be turning on him, or getting on his back or anything. I still want him to do well, but the signs don't look too great. I'm no longer certain his position is that secure.

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Kanji man ...

This is so much bigger than just these two signings at this point.

However, it does seem to be exposing an issue in the way our structure has been put in place.

Once we had Amanda and Mehdrad bring Howe in before a DOF and allow him the freedom to run the recruitment, the precedent was set.

In actuality, the only way this whole thing would have worked is if the owners gave a contract to Amanda and Mehdrad to continue to run things, and perhaps promoted Nickson to DOF as he was already working in tandem with Howe regarding recruitment.

Ashworth has since come in and there have been issues there, with some not so ideal transfer decisions during that period. We tried for Freedman who seemed keen, but that fell through, and now you have to wonder if he heard something he didn't like during the process. Mitchell supposedly turned the role down first time around, until we went back to him and supposedly gave him more say over things.

Mitchell then comes in, and Howe's initial reaction was very tense, and stated concerns about being allowed to work how he had been previously. However, that was under Amanda and Mehdrad, who gave him final say on all matters, and supposedly isolated Ashworth. That didn't look like it was going to be allowed to continue with Amanda and Mehdrad now having left.

Howe has maintained we are shopping from a small pool of players, which I always found odd. But fine, if he states his preferences being from that pool. However, any difficulties with getting those players, and the DOF has to be allowed to move for alternatives.

It's looking like this is a huge issue though, and if so, I just don't see how it can continue.

It is going to be impossible for the DOF to put a plan in place without the cooperation from his manager/head coach.

If by tomorrow we have some other targets come in instead, then that would be a huge relief, and would point towards a more collaborative way of working that could come together over time.

If not though, I think we have a problem that is going to come to a head.

Extremely well put. Can only say that I feel the same way about the situation. Can't see it ending well and since the club seems to be going in one direction, it's quite obvious who will lose that battle.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

The thing with someone like Mitchell is that he is so experienced at the highest level, that he would not only have access to a database with a bunch of players, but he will also have great contacts all over the place to recommend available players that fit the bill.

This ^ - no excuse he's only just through the door.  it's also not like we have had to replace our whole recruiting department. Surely we had 'targets' not 'target'.  

Whichever way you look at it; the club has not fulfilled it's remit in the summer transfer window.

People have to be held responsible!

It only seems between Eddie and Paul who are to blame.

The collateral damage I would think will come next winter/summer when we inevitably Fall further down the league than presumed and some of our star players get itchy feet!

Come on EH & PM... pull your fingers out!!!

6 minutes ago, ATB said:

Extremely well put. Can only say that I feel the same way about the situation. Can't see it ending well and since the club seems to be going in one direction, it's quite obvious who will lose that battle.

I know ...

It's so crazy because with all this coming up now, I couldn't help but recall what the Bournemouth fan @cherryred said on here a good three years ago, before there was even any hint of unrest.

One thing I'm really interested in is how he deals with your board. At Bournemouth he was known for being a control freak and pretty much directly oversaw all aspects of the club (think SAF at man u or Wenger at Arsenal), and one of the rumoured reasons why he left when we went down was that our board tried to change some of that and he basically walked. I'm not sure how this will translate to your current circumstance and how much Eddie has chnaged in this regard over his long break from football, as his obsessiveness and full effort definitely contributed to his downfall at the end of his time with us.

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I know ...

It's so crazy because with all this coming up now, I couldn't help but recall what the Bournemouth fan @cherryred said on here a good three years ago, before there was even any hint of unrest.

Good spot. Probably why he was using the England links in the summer as a tool to leverage more control over transfers etc. Something's not right - especially with how the whole Ashworth situation unfolded too.

1 hour ago, Weezertron said:

Can we put on record my opinion shifted in July 2023 ;)

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I know ...

My take is, Howe was a big fish in a small pond out there in Bournemouth.

But could he have same attitude in a PIF owned club? 

Just now, HalloNUFC said:

My take is, Howe was a big fish in a small pond out there in Bournemouth.

But could he have same attitude in a PIF owned club? 

The hiring of Bunce is already the first warning sign, and then the departure of Amanda…

The relationship between the management and Howe is deteriorating.