Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

8 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

The Dan Ashworth thread was full of glowing appraisals. 

People tend to get blinded in life to people’s limitations by salary and status. I work at a large organisation and it’s fair to say that the vast majority of senior managers (on the big bucks), have no extra insight or intelligence than most, but got there through a combination of having the right look and/or a natural confidence when dealing with people/groups. 

1 minute ago, mouldy_uk said:

People tend to get blinded in life to people’s limitations by salary and status. I work at a large organisation and it’s fair to say that the vast majority of senior managers (on the big bucks), have no extra insight or intelligence than most, but got there through a combination of having the right look and/or a natural confidence when dealing with people/groups. 

He has a proven track record in this role, I get the impression he was to cool at first and he certainly didn't hit the ground running like Ashworth, hopeful this is a wake up call for him. We could do with a statement of intent from him though.

I can't believe this interview. He's so off the mark, it's almost pathetic. For him, he is rebuilding a solid structure while the club is almost on a field of ruins, it's still grotesque. Since he's been there, the club has been slapped by teams like Troyes, all at home, I didn't even think I'd see that in Monaco. Not to mention the disappointments over and over again. His lousy transfer window just before PSV, his non-existent winter transfer window. No, frankly, it's absurd. He's going to give his opinion even if he's not asked, no, but seriously. The worst thing is that I think his interview isn't even meant to sell himself to his probable future club, but he really means what he says. No big questioning, for him he does a great job and he's a crack. As for Scuro, I don't want to judge his work hastily because I don't know the guy and it would be unfair, but with the other one in the way, it's not worth it, the club seems to be heading straight for the wall. I'm sorry, I'm willing to give a little benefit of the doubt sometimes, but there you have almost no questioning, it's nonsense.

:lol:

The French moan about the smallest of things but some of these comments are absolutely damning. Will be interesting to see how he gets on here.

Edited by Menace

31 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

The Dan Ashworth thread was full of glowing appraisals. 

Tbf it's not just after he left, the comments are from the first transfer window onwards.

Edited by Kid Icarus

10 minutes ago, Menace said:

:lol:

The French moan about the smallest of things but some of these comments are absolutely damning. Will be interesting to see how he gets on here.

If he turns out shit I'd imagine he'd be out the door pretty sharpish.

I thought Mitchell's reputation skyrocketed on the back of the work he did at Monaco? Didn't he revamp the playing squad and turn it into one of the most valuable in Europe during his stint? Also reduced their age profile significantly from what I read. Fan insights are sometimes informative as they give you an inside look, but some of the shit you read on forums is uninformed nonsense like.

I don't necessarily agree. Bruce being praised in the media whilst he was here when we all knew he was dog shit was 1 example. I trust football forums far more than media/twitter.

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

I thought Mitchell's reputation skyrocketed on the back of the work he did at Monaco? Didn't he revamp the playing squad and turn it into one of the most valuable in Europe during his stint? Also reduced their age profile significantly from what I read. Fan insights are sometimes informative as they give you an inside look, but some of the shit you read on forums is uninformed nonsense like.

Nah, think his high reputation is mostly from his Southampton/Spurs days. At RB his role seemed to be a touch removed from the sporting side and he was promoted after his first year to 'global coordinator', which seems one of the most sought out executive jobs in football. At Monaco he sold players for a lot of money but he left a worse side than when he arrived. Don't think he signed a single player that has been a big success in his time there. But that might not necessarily be his fault.. working for an oligarch has its specifics..

13 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Fair enough, a mate who’s a big spurs fan was very positive about him. Hopefully he’s not shit. 

Yeah I've heard that too which is part of why I was massively excited about him coming in. Monaco's league positions under him are good too. 17th and 9th before he joined, then 3rd, 3rd, 6th when he was there and 2nd after he left.

37 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt given he's only been here five minutes, but it's not an ideal start.

Agreed. An ill thought through overspend would have been a worse start.

Also happy to give him time - not sure what his main role is re recruitment. If it's unearthing players to improve the overall squad, then great and he should be given a free hand in that. If it's negotiating deals with teams that don't want to negotiate, that's a daft position for him to be in.

The main demarcation then is about what happens re the first team squad, and where the gaps are.

The transfer window hasn't been great on that, but I'm finally on board with not signing players for the sake of it, or overpaying in a panic. We'll lose a lot of the fringe squad next summer anyway.

I'm kind of hoping that this transfer window concentrates minds to give us a chance to punch upwards, and also that if we recruit in January it's either opportunistic or where there is value abroad. With Botman hopefully back by then, our short term CB crisis should be less at least.