Paul Mitchell

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

Hate To say it and I'll be gutted but it's not going to end well for Eddie this

There's definitely an angle to some of these quotes that is a bit scary.

But I'm choosing optimism / sticking my head in the sand for now.

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

Hate To say it and I'll be gutted but it's not going to end well for Eddie this

You're a right miserable bugger you like!  Do you always just think worst case scenario? [emoji38]

Do we really believe that Howe is stupid enough to expect or demand a level of control that probably doesn’t exist at any top-level club? Surely he knows enough to work within a modern football setup, he’s a smart young manager. 

32 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Holding onto our best players while bringing in the calibre of player Brighton have signed in recent years and then keeping them rather than selling them would have us up consistently top four 

Nah I still think we have to sell. Brighton have far lower revenues and are typically nowhere close to their FFP limit.  A souped up Brighton that invest everything they can is a good model imo. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Do we really believe that Howe is stupid enough to expect or demand a level of control that probably doesn’t exist at any top-level club? Surely he knows enough to work within a modern football setup, he’s a smart young manager. 

He’s pretty much come out and said that in his last press conference. 

1 minute ago, Scoot said:

You're a right miserable bugger you like!  Do you always just think worst case scenario? [emoji38]

Can see where he is coming from. Couple of the quotes demonstrate that Howe’s way of working isn’t the way we’ll be working moving forward. 

6 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

There's definitely an angle to some of these quotes that is a bit scary.

But I'm choosing optimism / sticking my head in the sand for now.

Howe will be fine and have influence in player recruitment, but he needs to buy into Mitchell's approach and help to evolve beyond recruiting players with reputable names on English soil. That is not sustainable as, and I don't blame them, nee fucker is going to do us any favours in selling us their more talented players.  I LOVE Eddie, but he's stubborn and almost predictable in his stubbornness, but to his credit, he's a very talented coach and player manager. I would prefer he have less control over transfers, personally. 

45 minutes ago, STM said:

The standout thing for me is that we are 100% going to be focusing on cheaper players from abroad from now on.

I'm fully on board with that... so long as he doesn't think we are Brighton or Brentford. We need to have more ambitions.

There’s fantastic value out there in Europe - it’s where we need to do the bulk of our shopping imo

5 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Maybe just me but I didn’t like that interview at all. Reads like a deflection and a power play.

That’s exactly what it was imo, I’m actually shocked at some of the stuff he said in it. Not a fan at all.

Just now, The Bonk said:

Howe will be fine and have influence in player recruitment, but he needs to buy into Mitchell's approach and help to evolve beyond recruiting players with reputable names on English soil. That is not sustainable as, and I don't blame them, nee fucker is going to do us any favours in selling us their more talented players.  I LOVE Eddie, but he's stubborn and almost predictable in his stubbornness, but to his credit, he's a very talented coach and player manager. I would prefer he have less control over transfers, personally. 

But I mean, under Howe we have signed plenty from abroad. Did he not want Botman, Bruno and Isak? 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

That’s exactly what it was imo, I’m actually shocked at some of the stuff he said in it. Not a fan at all.

What were you shocked about? He came in, supported the current approach to player recruitment, it didn't work out, he's admitted as much and now has the autonomy to build the network as he see's fit. He's found some very good players at previous clubs and I hope he does the same for us while Eddie has the players performing at their best on the pitch. 

Just now, The Bonk said:

What were you shocked about? He came in, supported the current approach to player recruitment, it didn't work out, he's admitted as much and now has the autonomy to build the network as he see's fit. He's found some very good players at previous clubs and I hope he does the same for us while Eddie has the players performing at their best on the pitch. 

He for me at least seems to be trying to deflect the blame and place it all on Howe. Now maybe that was the case but it’s unnecessary to bring it up in public, especially after the win at the weekend.

I’ll start giving him some credit if and when we bring in these quality players from Europe and other markets at good prices but Howe is far more important to us than him. Does Howe need to be flexible when it comes to player recruitment, possibly or even probably but everything Mitchell does has to be about finding a way of working for Howe. There’s compromise needed on both sides but it’s Mitchell’s job to work for Howe (even if he is his boss) and Howe’s job to let him do the work for him. They’ll take a while to trust each other but I’m going to take some convincing on Mitchell for sure and that’ll only come with repeated successful windows 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Fair enough, what parts did you find shocking? (Not a dig, asking out of interest.)

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But I mean, under Howe we have signed plenty from abroad. Did he not want Botman, Bruno and Isak? 

Was that Howe or Ashworth? (Honest question, I have no idea) Also, very fair defence of Howe, he's not 'Brexit Eddie', I agree. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

He for me at least seems to be trying to deflect the blame and place it all on Howe. Now maybe that was the case but it’s unnecessary to bring it up in public, especially after the win at the weekend.

I think he was tossing Ashworth under the bus more than Howe. I think he was intimating that we need to focus on more than one player at a time.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Fair enough, what parts did you find shocking? (Not a dig, asking out of interest.)

It seems to me he’s deflecting the blame on Howe, I’ve only read the Hope article so far, are the others the same ?