Semi Finals: France 1-2 Spain, England 2-1 Netherlands

Disco

10 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Which weirdo has set up an Out of Context account for a 16 year old. Some proper noncey grifters out there.

Also, he's a footballer, showing football clips of him is hardly out of context. I want clips of him dropping an ice cream on himself or having elephants steal his lunch at the zoo.

Lamal is great for 16 (or any age for that matter), but he cuts onto his left foot a lot. I do wonder why defensive assignments haven't picked this up yet.

I think this game might be the most important of Southgate's legacy - even if they have a subsequent final with Spain. A grim performance here will be the last real chance to overwrite the reality of the unfashionable football he has brought. If they slog through with more Bruce-y football, and go on to win it with another attritional performance against Spain, they will be not unfairly remembered by some as another Greece 2004 (except with world-beating talent :lol:).

9 minutes ago, Beren said:

Lamal is great for 16 (or any age for that matter), but he cuts onto his left foot a lot. I do wonder why defensive assignments haven't picked this up yet.

Robben did this for his whole career and was successful.  ;)

2 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Robben did this for his whole career and was successful.  ;)

It's a good point.

10 hours ago, Jonas said:

Spain are the best team in the tournament by miles, the only special team, they've had a hard run to the final and have been one of the very few that's been good to watch.

Which all conspired to give me a horrible feeling somehow they wont win it. Just seems too logical and fair for football.  Mind it would fit the tournament if they didn't.

if only we had pacy direct skillful wingers on eiether side.

5 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

We scored in like the 5th minute didn’t we :lol:

The last final? Was about 200 seconds in or something daft.

My mates managed to get a ticket tonight, from the same dubious person that he got a fake for Milan with.....

2 hours ago, TenkoDaLuz said:

"We've lost fear that gripped us." - Southgate

Not sure what this is supposed to mean; maybe he is going all in today.

He's made the point a couple of times this week that - due to going in as favourites - the team were playing within themselves for fear of embarrassment. So there's been a mentality shift from one of fear to one of "what can we achieve?" Which I think is interesting and entirely fair. 

Agree with @Beren above, I'm absolutely aching for an actual good performance against Holland. We were still very unimpressive against Switzerland, even if we're moving in the right direction. 

49 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Agree with @Beren above, I'm absolutely aching for an actual good performance against Holland. We were still very unimpressive against Switzerland, even if we're moving in the right direction. 

Me everytime, only to be absolute Pikachu shocked face when we do exactly what we always do [emoji38]

Live in hope, I'm an nufc fan so that bit comes naturally.

6 hours ago, Beren said:

I think this game might be the most important of Southgate's legacy - even if they have a subsequent final with Spain. A grim performance here will be the last real chance to overwrite the reality of the unfashionable football he has brought. If they slog through with more Bruce-y football, and go on to win it with another attritional performance against Spain, they will be not unfairly remembered by some as another Greece 2004 (except with world-beating talent :lol:).

If we win the Euros nobody will give the slightest shit how we played :lol:.

The last game we play in this tournament will probably be the most important of Southgate’s legacy unless he stays, obviously. I just hope it’s the final.

Edited by leffe186

The only reason I am so fucking livid about most of Southgate‘s tactical and in-game decisions is that I think they reduce the odds of us winning. I might be wrong in that, but even though we’re still in the tournament I still stand by it. If we keep doing the same shit and win I won’t give a shit - it’s really all that matters.

11 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I expect England to lose, but it’s hard to get over how average the Netherlands looks on paper.

I honestly think our back line with Van Dijk, Ake, Dumfries and even the criminally underrated de Vrij is still one of the strongest going, with good strength in depth too. The midfield doesn't contain big names, but functions quite well, with Schouten another very underrated player. It's in attack where we lack that extra bit of quality we'd normally bring, a Robben, a Van Persie or a Van Nistelrooij. Still, I think it's going to be a pretty even game and considering the players at your disposal that says more about how England perform than about how average the Netherlands look on paper.

So frustrating Gordon isn't getting a look in. Dumfries loves to get forward on that right side, Gordon would be perfect to attack that space and hurt the Dutch (plus he gets back to defend). Instead we'll have Foden doing fuck all again.