Semi Finals: France 1-2 Spain, England 2-1 Netherlands

Disco

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, you can challenge for the ball, just like you can make a slide tackle if you want. But if you miss the ball and play the man it could be a foul. 

May as well make it a non contact sport then.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Saka chance doesn’t count but neither team created much which xg shows perfectly. You had some good long range efforts but they are not really chances, just individual quality.

First half was a much better watch than I expected but second half was really boring, can’t even remember any attacks from you outside the goal and the offside goal by Saka.

England were the better team tonight, but they were somewhat fortunate.

That's international football though, look at Geece, Portugal or even Spain. None of them were particularly pretty to watch, but they were all organised, solid at the back and very risk adverse. Then you just need your moment of quality or slice of luck.

We've been the plucky underdog so often, it's nice to see the players have a mentality that makes them difficult to beat. If we win the pot on Sunday, no one will care how pretty it was.

Just now, El Prontonise said:

May as well make it a non contact sport then.

Is the comparison not fair though?

FWIW I agree it was a soft pen, got mixed feelings about it. 

I think on the balance of play, England deserved the win, the Dutch were pretty pathetic and never had a go at us, I think they may regret not being braver at times. That said, they'll be rightly livid with the referee, he was a complete homer, I hope he's doing the final.

If Trippier is starting at LB on Sunday, I want Southgate to have committed Seppuku by half time.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

It's going to be interesting for sure, but I could see your defence keeping them out.

We got knocked out in the qualifiers mate. :pow:

5 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

He came near beating the goals in a season record in his first season with Bayern. He’s been shit in the tournament, but Jesus Christ.

Has looked a spent force in this tourney but gets some silly criticism on here 

How many times have we all seen a defender, normally at full back, clearing a ball and the onrushing attacker sticks out a foot to try and block it and the full back clears it and follows through to connect with the attackers foot. Ref gives a foul every time and no-one blinks an eye. It's not deliberate but the contact after the kick is enough for a foul. 

It's staggeringly similar to what happened in the box but it was a shot not a clearance. It's harsh because it has resulted in a goal rather than a free-kick near the touchline but I can see why they've given it. It's disproportionate in the fact it's lead to a goal but recreate that in other areas of the pitch and a foul gets given 99 times out of 100.  

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm beating a well-worn drum here, so apologies if it's repetitive, but Southgate's most impactful and impressive contribution to the national team has massively come to the fore this tournament: the cultural change. Credit to the players too, of course, but fostering an England camp that actually wants to die for each other remains its biggest strength and the manager is central to that.

We're a 'moments' team, arguably because we lack the tactical aptitude or boldness to create a team that blows others away. But the moments thing can only work when someone like Watkins can come on - without getting a sniff all tournament - and be in a fit state to win the semi for us in injury time. See Toney's contribution against Slovakia; Trent's pen against Switzerland; Mainoo coming in from the cold and owning the position. 

This is why it's unfair to say we've progressed in spite of Southgate. You've only got to look at the failures in eras gone by, accountable - to some extent - broken camps who weren't in a fit state to go the distance.

I get why people don't like him, but he's been a revelation for the national team. I don't see how you can say otherwise. 

That was a much more fair read than I was expecting. :bluestar:

Think I have to give some credit for the culture of never giving up that Southgate has created but it could be much easier if he actually had some tactical plan of how to win these games without moments of individual brilliance. He’s just a nicer Pardew to me as harsh as it sounds. :lol:

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, you can challenge for the ball, just like you can make a slide tackle if you want. But if you miss the ball and play the man it could be a foul. 

Him and Kane both challenge for the ball though. It's a perfectly normal action, with incidental contact.

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

Do you think he should be dropped?

Aye I do,not that it will happen. Can't be arsed with the abusive snidey craic though

I'm not trying to be a complete prick here (honest :lol:), but does that count as a big team that we've beaten under Southgate? 

For me it does, the Dutch are one of the big boys and we've outplayed them there. I feel like if we don't win on Sunday the chat will revert to "well it wasn't a very good Dutch team" much like it did with Germany in the last euros, but for me it should absolutely count as a heavy hitter we've just taken down in a knockout match

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

England were the better team tonight, but they were somewhat fortunate.

That's international football though, look at Geece, Portugal or even Spain. None of them were particularly pretty to watch, but they were all organised, solid at the back and very risk adverse. Then you just need your moment of quality or slice of luck.

We've been the plucky underdog so often, it's nice to see the players have a mentality that makes them difficult to beat. If we win the pot on Sunday, no one will care how pretty it was.

Yeah, and you can add Deschamps’ France to that list too. Being solid defensively always gives you a chance to win a tournament, it’s just horrible to watch for neutrals and it’s a shame it has been so effective style of play lately.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

I'm not trying to be a complete prick here (honest :lol:), but does that count as a big team that we've beaten under Southgate? 

For me it does, the Dutch are one of the big boys and we've outplayed them there. I feel like if we don't win on Sunday the chat will revert to "well it wasn't a very good Dutch team" much like it did with Germany in the last euros, but for me it should absolutely count as a heavy hitter we've just taken down in a knockout match

I think both are true, they're a big nation but they're not a particularly good team right now. Not many people are though, so who cares. 

I would say if we do win it then Spain will be the only good team we had to beat. 

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm beating a well-worn drum here, so apologies if it's repetitive, but Southgate's most impactful and impressive contribution to the national team has massively come to the fore this tournament: the cultural change. Credit to the players too, of course, but fostering an England camp that actually wants to die for each other remains its biggest strength and the manager is central to that.

We're a 'moments' team, arguably because we lack the tactical aptitude or boldness to create a team that blows others away. But the moments thing can only work when someone like Watkins can come on - without getting a sniff all tournament - and be in a fit state to win the semi for us in injury time. See Toney's contribution against Slovakia; Trent's pen against Switzerland; Mainoo coming in from the cold and owning the position. 

This is why it's unfair to say we've progressed in spite of Southgate. You've only got to look at the failures in eras gone by to dismiss that claim; failures accountable - to some extent - to broken camps who weren't in a fit state to go the distance.

I get why people don't like him, but he's been a revelation for the national team. I don't see how you can say otherwise. 

I think thats fair. It'll still be mint when he goes though.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think both are true, they're a big nation but they're not a particularly good team right now. Not many people are though, so who cares. 

I would say if we do win it then Spain will be the only good team we had to beat. 

Fair enough, I disagree but can see your point. For me we've gotten past a decent Switzerland and a good Dutch team who on their day can give anyone a game, albeit not their best ever side 

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think thats fair. It'll still be mint when he goes though.

Watch when we fail to even qualify for the next tournament. :lol:

3 minutes ago, midds said:

How many times have we all seen a defender, normally at full back, clearing a ball and the onrushing attacker sticks out a foot to try and block it and the full back clears it and follows through to connect with the attackers foot. Ref gives a foul every time and no-one blinks an eye. It's not deliberate but the contact after the kick is enough for a foul. 

It's staggeringly similar to what happened in the box but it was a shot not a clearance. It's harsh because it has resulted in a goal rather than a free-kick near the touchline but I can see why they've given it. It's disproportionate in the fact it's lead to a goal but recreate that in other areas of the pitch and a foul gets given 99 times out of 100.  

That’s why it’s so weird that they are usually never given, it’s like some unwritten rule that if the attacker gets the shot away you are allowed to go through him. VAR just shouldn’t interfere there, those are never given so why change the one consistent thing refs do.

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Aye I do,not that it will happen. Can't be arsed with the abusive snidey craic though

Kane's been superb for England but he also a diving cunt and you can go through my posts on here about me saying that for years.

5 minutes ago, midds said:

The big difference for me is that he had an unimpeded shot at goal before there was contact, and the contact was virtually nothing.

If the shot goes in, they're not bringing it back. So it shouldn't be a foul. Then to have that as an overturnable (not a real word) decision is a bit mad. Not a clear and obvious error to me.

I think England deserved the win FWIW.

Just now, Pata said:

That’s why it’s so weird that they are usually never given, it’s like some unwritten rule that if the attacker gets the shot away you are allowed to go through him. VAR just shouldn’t interfere there, those are never given so why change the one consistent thing refs do.

Good point, not sure of the answer tbh. Maybe the fact he stayed down so long that the officials thought he was genuinely hurt came into the equation. Maybe they looked at it enough times to convince themselves that they had to give something ? 

I'm not saying they definitely got it right either but I can see why they gave it, there's logic behind it. It's definitely harsh but if you'd give it in the centre circle or by the corner flag then you should give it in the box too