Will Osula

1 minute ago, Dan Gleebals said:

Completely agree on squad depth, it is essential we boost that - we were so exposed last season. 

I just hope he is given the time and freedom to improve under Eddie, and that our fans give him a chance as well.  

He's the third option upfront.

I'm sure the crowd will be fair and get behind him.

I can't even think who the third striker is for most teams.

I like the options we'll have in that position.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Remember when we brought in Chris Wood? He really didn't look too great for us up there. He wasn't quick and the ball didn't stick with him.

However, he worked hard and he occupied opposition defenders as best as he could, allowing everyone else to stay in their positions with minimum disruption elsewhere.

Allowed us to continue to function as a team and pick up some decent results, even though he wasn't shining up front.

Osula looks really quick and quite robust. By what info has been shared he works hard too and is a good character. 

I can see him at the least filling in, in a similar manner to what Wood did, but with more upside, due to his physical gifts.

I agree with all that, although one thing that's left out is Wood's nous. The little digs, the triggering of the press, the dark arts of making yourself a nuisance for defenders.

We can't really expect Osula to be fully up to speed on that yet, but I'm sure Eddie - and hopefully Wilson - will teach him.

28 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Even if he just brings some decent hold up play and running he will be very useful. So many games during that December period we played well but just had no outlet once Isak and Gordon were gassed. 

That second half against PSG is the perfect example.

We played a masssive run of games with same players fatigued as fuck; had we any decent options fit off the bench we'd have actually gone on to achieve MORE last season. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Worth saying again, we created 97 ‘big chances’ last season (third best in the league). Sheffield United created 40 (worst in the league). 

you can say that again

When we had wood he was a much needed player to take the workload of Wilson and isak. This lad will do the same plus be a handful with his frame and workrate. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

He's the third option upfront.

I'm sure the crowd will be fair and get behind him.

I can't even think who the third striker is for most teams.

I like the options we'll have in that position.

Think he'll excite the crowd.. big mobile lad who likes to get at defenders. Youngster who needs support. Looking forward to him coming on when we're 3-0 up against Saints. 

Yeah think I’ll trust Eddie, Mitchell and the scouting team over some Sheffield fan in his bedroom making a performative display with all sorts of over the top gestures and expressions to hide his saltiness, acting with some kind of weird schadenfreude suggesting we’ve overpaid. Mate, you’re Sheffield. You’ve got the Arctic Monkeys and you had Will Osula. Now he’s ours and Eddie will turn him into a player worth at least twice what we paid for him and you’ll be kicking yourselves. 

11 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Yeah think I’ll trust Eddie, Mitchell and the scouting team over some Sheffield fan in his bedroom making a performative display with all sorts of over the top gestures and expressions to hide his saltiness, acting with some kind of weird schadenfreude suggesting we’ve overpaid. Mate, you’re Sheffield. You’ve got the Arctic Monkeys and you had Will Osula. Now he’s ours and Eddie will turn him into a player worth at least twice what we paid for him and you’ll be kicking yourselves. 

Haven’t seen it, but I did see a video he did earlier this window about whether Osula should be their main forward to lead the line in the Championship, or one of their other two strikers. Seems like he genuinely doesn’t rate Osula that highly even if he sees potential. I think this is a common team that I’ve seen on one of their boards: he’s talented but yet to show real ability, and 10m would be a good fee for them. Guess similar to how the sale of Anderson is viewed on here. Let’s hope our scouting and player development team get it right and we manage to unlock that potential where Derby and Sheffield United so far couldn’t.

Edited by Unbelievable

He had some decent info when he actually talked about the player.

Actually said he comfortably held his own physically against Premier League players, and of course mentioned his pace.

What shocked me the most was the big deal he made about £10 million!

Pretty sobering really. 

We have to remember how bad Sheffield United were. They barely created any chances per game. They scored only 35 goals in 38 games so although this guy may have saw all 780 mins he managed to get on the pitch he wouldn’t have seen him in the best attacking environment very often if at all. I keep going back to his u23/u21 & Fa cup goal record and that gives a better idea of what he can do

it would suggest he’s got something about him and playing under a better coach and with much much better players like Bruno, Isak & Gordon it’ll bring out the best in him 

Edited by gdm

35 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He had some decent info when he actually talked about the player.

Actually said he comfortably held his own physically against Premier League players, and of course mentioned his pace.

What shocked me the most was the big deal he made about £10 million!

Pretty sobering really. 

Bit more info here before the deal was on the cards…

Once he fills out and bulks up a bit more, he’ll utilize that pace to bully defenders off the ball.

@KaKa, go have a look at your early posts on Ivan Toney in that thread, you said almost the exact same about this kid here. [emoji38] I think this kid has better ball control and dribbling ability in the final third than I ever saw of Toney.

Hopefully 🤞🏻 this lad doesn’t let his head swell with if the same type of success happens.

Our scouts thought Gordon was gonna be a top player, but most of us looked at his stats, attitude, and the price tag and said no way. Just look at the Gordon thread to see how most fans felt about him, and don't forget how Everton fans thought they robbed us of 40 million.

I trust our scouting and management team completely. They turned Big Joe from our worst signing ever to one of the best midfielders in the Premier League in just a few months. They deserve our trust.

Trust the process lads

17 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Once he fills out and bulks up a bit more, he’ll utilize that pace to bully defenders off the ball.

@KaKa, go have a look at your early posts on Ivan Toney in that thread, you said almost the exact same about this kid here. [emoji38] I think this kid has better ball control and dribbling ability in the final third than I ever saw of Toney.

Hopefully 🤞🏻 this lad doesn’t let his head swell with if the same type of success happens.

Size, mobility and some level of comfort on the ball always translate well in the Premier league.

I agree this kid looks even more dynamic than Toney did. He has some great tools for sure.

Ironically Nile Ranger had a similar make up too, but just an incredibly poor mentality.

10m for a striker is nowt in this day and age let’s be honest. They’ve clearly identified his qualities and think he’s worth a punt. Very hard to get a 3rd option striker happy to sit behind two other strikers. Chances are with Wilson’s injuries he’ll get plenty of game time anyway. 

4 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

10m for a striker is nowt in this day and age let’s be honest. They’ve clearly identified his qualities and think he’s worth a punt. Very hard to get a 3rd option striker happy to sit behind two other strikers. Chances are with Wilson’s injuries he’ll get plenty of game time anyway. 

It's almost free.

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

Where’s the photos!?

Where’s the video and interview about how it’s a dream to play in front of 52k Geordies!?

And the ones of him rocking in for his medical from some random in the street that has camped out all night!