Marc Guehi

gdm

2 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

I suppose the way to look at it is, we're not just buying potential or to fill gaps anymore. We're buying proven players, it means we're no longer in upstarts but established as a force.

Prices come in higher now for proven players. I'm not getting to hung up on the price for Guehi. Aged 24, English, proven in Premier League, an international. He was never going to be cheap.

Yes but buying them THIS window would likely mean losing one of our best players next summer so we’d be worse off…

If you had the choice of Guehi this window and lose one of Bruno, Isak, Gordon next window or see this window out with what we have at CB and look again next window and keep all our purples which option would you take?

I’d just stick with Burn and Kraft for 3-5 months until our injuries clear up then get a purple CB next accounting window personally.

Obviously if we sell Trippier, Almiron, Wilson, Longstaff and Fraser this window the hopefully that gives us room to do both along with a RW purple.

2 hours ago, Magdad said:

Swiss ramble and borstein had us passing psr with no issues in Feb. This is just ITK for geeky virgins quite frankly. 

Would love a full link to that - not behind the paywall.  

I can’t find it now but there were reports in May/Early June that we needed 40-60m net revenue in accounting terms to be compliant with FFP for the season. Sky also said we were 1 of 6 clubs that needed to sell players to be FFP compliant. I refused to believe it at the time but it was true. This was a few weeks before the Minteh rumours went into overdrive and the random links to other FFP 6 club players. 

2 hours ago, Magdad said:

Swiss ramble and borstein had us passing psr with no issues in Feb. This is just ITK for geeky virgins quite frankly. 

He didn’t. You may be confusing it for him saying we likely just complied for the period ending in June 2023.

13 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

No proper updates on this today?  Worrying. 

I see that as a good thing, non of the usual suspects hinting other teams have hijacked the possible deal, palace completely silent (would have came out already of there wasn’t anything in it) 

Unless we're planning on selling a purple next year I'd guess this would put the kibosh on a top quality RW. 

If we need to do £17m profit now to break even and Guehi adds £15m yearly amortisation then we need to recoup £32m from player sales. Almiron and Longstaff might get that if we can shift them but we're pretty dry for saleable deadwood after that. 

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Why "can't you stand" Longstaff?

He plays a lot and he’s not very good. 

Can’t stand is an exaggeration, I just dont want him to play for us any more than necessary. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He plays a lot and he’s not very good. 

Can’t stand is an exaggeration, I just dont want him to play for us any more than necessary. 

He's a local lad who's always given us 100% and chipped in with a 1 in 6 goal return from midfield last season.

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

He's a local lad who's always given us 100% and chipped in with a 1 in 6 goal return from midfield last season.

That’s factually correct, can’t disagree. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That’s factually correct, can’t disagree. 

:lol:

Just trying to figure out where the "can't stand him" feelings come from. He's such a likeable guy.

5 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Being local is literally his only saving grace. If we'd paid money to sign him he'd get much less leeway

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

:lol:

Just trying to figure out where the "can't stand him" feelings come from. He's such a likeable guy.

Can't stand was the wrong phrase, maybe should've gone for don't rate. 

I appreciate how hard he tries but as a player I think he's very poor. 

Just now, gjohnson said:

Being local is literally his only saving grace. If we'd paid money to sign him he'd get much less leeway

Genuinely don't get this line of thinking. He's been a good servant to the club. Such a lack of respect shown towards him.

Just now, gjohnson said:

I tend to think the other way - he gets far more grief because he’s a local.  Local players have often met with far more criticism - definitely at the ground, or have a look at that ‘worst players’ thread for example….

I have no ill will towards Sean. I just don't think he's good enough, though he's honestly fine as a 5th/6th choice CM. The only thing I can't stand about him are his attempts at diving.

11 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Genuinely don't get this line of thinking. He's been a good servant to the club. Such a lack of respect shown towards him.

if he was not a local lad, a lot more people who dislike him more than there currently is. 

12 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Completely agree.  He is not a starter for me, with everyone available and fit, and don't think he will be this season.

It was well documented he played through injury last season, and still produced his best season in terms goals.

Yes, some of his performance were not up to scratch but he gives his all and is a credible player to have in the squad and on the bench, assuming he cannot be sold.

I would ceratinly upgrade if we can, be equally happy him staying as a squad player this season and see how he gets on.  Definitely does not deserve the shite he gets IMHO.

7 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Given the source he's nailed on for Liverpool.

I have the same feeling about this as o did with Tonali last season.

" no way this happens, but fuck me what if it does"