Marc Guehi

gdm

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

I’d we had a highly rated England player who was only 24 and just had an amazing euro, had a twenty percent sell on clause and we let him go for £50m whilst his stock is high this place would go mental.

even more mental

Edited by bobbydazzla

As much as I want this signing I can't help but think we should show that we are willing to walk away and come back next summer with a £30m offer instead. 

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I’d we had a highly rated England player who was only 24 and just had an amazing euro, had a twenty percent sell on clause and we let him go for £50m whilst his stock is high this place would go mental.

He has 2 years left on his deal his stock is at an all time high. It will never be higher at Palace than it is now. Take the best offer.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

That has nothing to do with what I’m saying - what I’m saying is if they accept £50m then they only have £40m to replace him. That’s really not a lot.

Well thats obvious but the argument we are all discussing is is he worth it. You seemed to add justification that because there was 20% going to Chelsea there was. I’m arguing thats only the case because they got him cheap at £18m they had to forfeit 20%.

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

I'm not seeing your point here, they put a 20% sell on clause to get the deal done, so now they want to inflate the price because they agreed to a clause?

They are replacing him with Lacroix for 20m.

Yes exactly that and it’s better for PSR which was probably not even a thing when they bought him. All clubs knowing they have a sell-on fee try to get ABOVE market value. 

That’s why if they are after £65m the truth is they know he’s value is around £52m and we are slowly increasing our bids towards what we feel is book value. If you’d bid before the Euro’s (arguments aside if he’s performed well or not or a future regular) there asking price I recall was £40-45m. Which is the region of our first bid.

Just now, TRC said:

He has 2 years left on his deal his stock is at an all time high. It will never be higher at Palace than it is now. Take the best offer.

So has Gordon (reportedly), say he did would you be happy if we let him go at a cut price? I bloody wouldn’t. End of the day he’s Palaces player and I’m just saying by petting us in their positions I understand

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

So has Gordon (reportedly), say he did would you be happy if we let him go at a cut price? I bloody wouldn’t. End of the day he’s Palaces player and I’m just saying by petting us in their positions I understand

Gordon doesn't have a sell on clause, is an attacking player, we are a much bigger club than Palace where he has a chance to win something. Is also likely to sign a new deal. Its not really comparable.

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Don’t think anyone is arguing that Palace shouldn’t try and get as much as they can for him. The argument is his worth to us and if at what point we decide to walk away.

How much would you pay for him?

Edited by LFEE

From the Graun:

"Talks between Palace’s sporting director, Dougie Freedman, and his Newcastle counterpart, Paul Mitchell, over Guéhi are continuing despite Palace rejecting a £50m bid for the England defender. Newcastle are understood to remain cautiously optimistic that Guehi will start the season as a key component of their squad after the 24-year-old indicated he was keen to make the move, although Palace are insistent that the club captain will not be sold for less than their valuation. That is believed to be about £65m, although there is a recognition that with only one year remaining on his contract, a compromise could be struck."

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Don’t think anyone is arguing that Palace shouldn’t try and get as much as they can for him. The argument is his worth to us and if at what point we decide to walk away.

How much would you pay for him?

Me personally around £55m but id really like to know the budget and what it leaves us for as RM and none of us do. I am also very cautious of PSR now and think we should maybe once more offer and walk away. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

From the Graun:

"Talks between Palace’s sporting director, Dougie Freedman, and his Newcastle counterpart, Paul Mitchell, over Guéhi are continuing despite Palace rejecting a £50m bid for the England defender. Newcastle are understood to remain cautiously optimistic that Guehi will start the season as a key component of their squad after the 24-year-old indicated he was keen to make the move, although Palace are insistent that the club captain will not be sold for less than their valuation. That is believed to be about £65m, although there is a recognition that with only one year remaining on his contract, a compromise could be struck."

One year?

10 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Me personally around £55m but id really like to know the budget and what it leaves us for as RM and none of us do. I am also very cautious of PSR now and think we should maybe once more offer and walk away. 

Good chance it will end up £55m and I think most on here (including myself) would accept that as fair if ultimately at the top end and a touch over what we think he’s worth (Guessing obviously but £65m minus 20% is £52m. As for Palace £18m to £44m is £26m profit after sell on). 

I just think you walk away or take a breather from the deal if any higher. My guess is we get him undisclosed but works out at £52+£3m or £52m and maybe a sell-on for Palace. Who knows but pretty sure he has 2yrs not 1yr on his contract unless it was an option of the extra year in his favour.

Edited by LFEE

23 minutes ago, Cf said:

As much as I want this signing I can't help but think we should show that we are willing to walk away and come back next summer with a £30m offer instead. 

Wise man once say “bird in hand better than two in bush”

No-one on this board has any knowledge of what we can or can’t afford to pay for players

Who cares if we pay over the odds, it’s not your life savings they’re spending 

So just chill about the price and enjoy the ride 

Edited by bobbydazzla

14 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

55m is as high as I'd go, which in terms of PSR adds 11m amortisation plus his wages (7m based on 140k/week sounds about right) would leave us with pretty much no budget for RW (assuming the estimated 50m current loss position in the PSR thread is about right, taking us to 68m of the cleared of the 3 year rolling period 70m 2021/22 loss). We'd be looking at loan to buys unless we manage to sell some players for decent fees.

Edit: one and only PSR related post I'll make in here today as it was mentioned. If we buy Guehi we can do some calculations in the PSR thread as details emerge, but I doubt there'd be much room left if any

Edited by Unbelievable

33 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

That has nothing to do with what I’m saying - what I’m saying is if they accept £50m then they only have £40m to replace him. That’s really not a lot.

Their record signing is £27m...

Is the 20% definitely based on the whole fee? Think they're often a % of any profit.

Just now, Anderson said:

Their record signing is £27m...

Is the 20% definitely based on the whole fee? Think they're often a % of any profit.

Both kinds are possible tbf.

I also think the reason for the slow progress is the Palace ownership structure. It’s an open secret nobody really knows who owns them being linked with Delaware and their main USA shareholders and the only name we know of other than Parish (John Textor) was recently wanting to sell up and get involved in Everton. So with a lot of secrecy/laundering/timing involved its probably a bit of a nightmare.

Remember when I flagged up on here about two weeks later that Olise hadn’t been confirmed after it was assumed it was done. I think there are a lot of interested parties and different lawyers involved with anything involving Palace.

29 minutes ago, Cf said:

if hes at Palace next summer without a new contract, there will be cartel clubs all over him.

I genuinely wonder how these talks take so long, you'd think two blokes sitting down face to face could sort it in an hour or so one way or another

13 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Aye, it's two. But that does make this Summer the final Summer they can extract maximum value for him (unless he signs a new deal). 

I don't think that's necessarily true. It'll be dictated by who and how many are interested in him. It's unlikely but not impossible they'd actually get more for him next summer e.g. if us, Liverpool and Arsenal were in for him (for the sake of arguement).

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

I genuinely wonder how these talks take so long, you'd think two blokes sitting down face to face could sort it in an hour or so one way or another

Loads to sort out on a deal this size. Overall price, a payment schedule, add-ons, etc. Most of the talks will be thrashing that dull stuff out, the media just like to dramatise it.

13 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Wise man once say “bird in hand better than two in bush”

No-one on this board has any knowledge of what we can or can’t afford to pay for players

Who cares if we pay over the odds, it’s not your life savings they’re spending 

So just chill about the price and enjoy the ride 

I kinda agree with point 1. Definitely with point 2 and 4. However you’ve repeated point 3 a few times and sadly that is no longer the case. It effects what we can do for the rest of this window and following windows sadly unless they scrap the PSR rules.

All of the PSR talk is fine and all that, but really it just comes down to who you'd rather sign as a fan. If you find RWs more sexy than CBs, you probably don't want to buy Guehi. But then again, we don't even know if a top RW is available to us, or at what price, or if the club share the same priorities. And we don't know what the club knows about future income or how much room we have to spend. So it's a very strange conversation. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

12 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I kinda agree with point 1. Definitely with point 2 and 4. However you’ve repeated point 3 a few times and sadly that is no longer the case. It effects what we can do for the rest of this window and following windows sadly unless they scrap the PSR rules.

Do you think the expert bean counters at NUFC haven't considered PSR when lining up players and making offers ?

There's absolutely no way that anyone has a better insight into our PSR position than the team of Accountants, Lawyers etc who work at the club

Edited by bobbydazzla