Marc Guehi

gdm

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

:lol:

Bring back Charnley. 

Express a none happy clap opinion about the current setup and you get the "But we once had Mike and Charnley" brigade.

We've been strung along all summer by Palace and we're at a week left with no signings except a young lad to really kick on the squad.

Wtf are we doing? 

3 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Express a none happy clap opinion about the current setup and you get the "But we once had Mike and Charnley" brigade.

We've been strung along all summer by Palace and we're at a week left with no signings except a young lad to really kick on the squad.

Wtf are we doing? 

Wait, anything less moderate than calling the backroom setup "amateurish" is happy clapping? 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Are you losing your head because other people are losing their heads?

Nah man :lol:

Just taken aback by it.

7 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Wtf are we doing? 

There it is!

Happy clappers! 

;D ;D ;D

6 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Wtf are we doing? 

I'd be more worried if we wanted a player and did what we used to do. Walk away, "we tried", rinse and repeat for the next few targets, then end up with a mid-table Ligue 1 player.

We clearly want him, clubs are going to play hardball with him, if we don't get him or an alternative then obviously questions should be asked. 

6 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Wtf are we doing? 

Well that's kind of the point isn't it? You, just like the rest of us, don't know what we're doing.

We don't know what the budget is. We don't know how the negotiations with Palace have gone. We don't know how far along we are with other targets and how quickly we can bring them in if needed. 

What we do know is that our transfer strategy so far has seen us go from nailed-on relegation to challenging for Europe for the last two seasons. So perhaps we give them the benefit of the doubt, at least until the transfer window is over? Or does that qualify as "happy clap opinion"?

As far as our business so far goes, here's a line from the Athletic about last week;

Across those 17 clubs, only 14 new signings started at the weekend. Only three clubs — Brighton & Hove Albion, West Ham United and Wolverhampton Wanderers — fielded more than one new signing from the outset. More clubs — Arsenal, Brentford, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle United and Nottingham Forest — started with an entire side who were at the club in 2023-24.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'd be more worried if we wanted a player and did what we used to do. Walk away, "we tried", rinse and repeat for the next few targets, then end up with a mid-table Ligue 1 player.

We clearly want him, clubs are going to play hardball with him, if we don't get him or an alternative then obviously questions should be asked. 

But ... why wait till the window closes to actually see what happens? What would be the point of that?

I'd rather we moved for one of the foreign alternatives mentioned, it's leaving us too late in the transfer window and I honestly think Palace are trying to stitch us up - it wouldn't surprise me if there was backing from other wanker clubs encouraging Parish to do it as well! Guehi's not giving off the vibe he wants to join us, their price is ridiculously over-inflated and it's probably taking resources away from the other signing we need to make on the right side of midfield!

... my conspiracy theory siege mentality paranoia is in overdrive at this point :frantic: [emoji38]

I think all fanbases get itchy towards the end of the window when they still don’t have the players they want. It’s the not knowing wtf is going on that is agonising. Right now I’m choosing to believe that we’ve left a bid on the table for Geuhi while we talk to another club (hopefully Leverkusen or Leipzig).

25 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Charnley.jpg.d388d4b7373d9cfd3c27858e41729ad0.jpg

The Thumb gets a rough deal on here. I think I'd struggle if I was promoted 5 grades above my ability and had to do the work of 20 odd people too.

On the flip side he'd be respected here if he told MA to stick his job, or actually stood up and said what was needed instead of just bending over and taking it

17 minutes ago, andycap said:

Mitchell isn't to blame if we have a strict budget what can he do when dobby won't play ball. 

Move onto another target sooner than a week before the window ends would be my suggestion. 

We don't know that they haven't done that but reports suggest we're only interested in Guehi.

13 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Move onto another target sooner than a week before the window ends would be my suggestion. 

We don't know that they haven't done that but reports suggest we're only interested in Guehi.

Reporters know nowt. First we heard of arguably our 2 best signings, Bruno and Isak was when they'd been completed. No speculation or anything. They were just announced.

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Reporters know nowt. First we heard of arguably our 2 best signings, Bruno and Isak was when they'd been completed. No speculation or anything. They were just announced.

This is not entirely true is it? Linked with Isak for a while, Bruno was quite fast I agree.

4 hours ago, KaKa said:

I had read somewhere that we wouldn't go past today. Can't find the article now though, or remember which publication it was.

The difference seems to be just £5 million. Maybe they were anticipating us folding at that end, but looks like we may have left that as a take it or leave it by today.

I don't think it's the 5 million holding up the deal. If that was the case, we would've simply added those to the total sum in the shape of easily achievable bonuses over time, and lock this down.

What I do believe is holding up the deal is the structure of the bid. Palace is probably asking for a lump sum payment, or larger portion of the payment upfront, something we might not be able to do, due to cash flow, hence the lengthy ongoing negotiations with Palace.

Even clubs with bigger revenue then us are not able to lock transfers down because of this.

2 hours ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Wtf are we doing? 

Which young lad is that. Kelly, Hall or Osula? I think all 3 improves our squad.