Marc Guehi

gdm

It's such a weird one from Palace , like they could take 60 million from us now but they are doing themselves out of it by asking for a further 10 when really once this window closes the most they are going to get for him is about 30/40 million due to his contract.

Looks to me like Parish just hates us and would rather sell to one of his big 6 mates for a lesser fee next year .

Edited by Geogaddi

Just now, madras said:

I don't. Do you think had Almiron gone for 20mill we'd have gone 80mill for Guehi ?

2nd paragraph is spot on though.

I don't think we would have paid more than whatever we think he's worth, no. And it's possible Parish has been impossible to deal with. But outgoings to clear the necessary financial room? Very possible.

This is one of the dumbest sagas I can remember. Have we actually been pleading with them all this time? All the info seems to be coming from Palace so who knows what we've actually done? But regardless, just walk away. We've all wasted tremendous amounts of time on this bullshit. 

I do hope there is a Plan B or C or Z or whatever we're on at this point that involves actually signing someone.

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Imagine if someone said this at the end of a Mike Ashley window.

I can't take any of these Mike Ashley comparisons seriously. We've stretch our spending as far as we possibly can since the new owners walked through the door.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly the media doesn't really come into it that much for me. They could have stayed silent and the reality would still be that we haven't looked anywhere close to signing any other CB or a RW,  or having alternatives lined up, which is frankly incredibily unprofessional.

The rest about us constantly persevering with Guehi is just the cherry on the top.

These two things are inextricably linked though right? 

The only knowledge you have is based on what you are told by the press.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that you and I have no idea what's been going on behind the scenes.

Whatever has been going on, it certainly hasn't been successful but the success might not be made from lack of effort.

Just now, Geogaddi said:

It's such a weird one from Palace , like they could take 60 million from us now but they are doing themselves out of it by asking for a further 10 when really once this window closes the most they are going to get for him is about 30/40 million due to his contract.

Part of me thinks they don’t feel they could justify losing Ollie, Guehi and Eze in the same window to the fans and the manager as that looked to be the case at one point. 

Feel like he’ll sign a new deal after the window closes and it will have a release clause of about 60m in it. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

...it's not a Mike Ashley window though.

It's pretty clear that we had money to spend, and we had time to find enough alternatives. I could make the same "we don't know what's being done" arguments for Ashley when he was here. It's not a great excuse.

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If I could ban anything on the forum, it'd be this phrase :lol:

That and people bringing up the We don’t demand a team that wins, we demand a club that tries... when more often than not it’s largely taken out of context 

Just now, timeEd32 said:

I don't think we would have paid more than whatever we think he's worth, no. And it's possible Parish has been impossible to deal with. But outgoings to clear the necessary financial room? Very possible.

But not for this player. We've hit his ceiling so bringing an extra 20mill in isn't going to get him as we would t pay it. It probably is stopping us with the RW though that we should now be going for. 

1 minute ago, HayDen Traces said:

Mitchell's done nothing of substance since coming in. This was a vital window and its been fumbled badly.

Mitchell has probably had very little input into the window mind, in terms of targets, etc. We’re all just guessing though.

10 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

It’s embarrassing because we should’ve moved on ages ago to another target. Hopefully they still have someone in mind and there’s still time.

How do we know that they haven't like? All these leaks have come from the Palace end, and not ours, we tend to be very tight lipped about everything.

Clubs don't just go for one target at a time likes is a binary thing, there'll be multiple conversations/deals going on at the same time.

To me its seems Guehi was clearly our primary target, and we've wanted to sign him within our terms, so we've waited until a point where its clear its not going to happen before committing to the other deals before pivoting to other targets, whether thats the right thing or not, will depend on the next 36 hours.

One thing that is for sure, the sensationalism from the press from the beginning has been fucking wank, and hasn't helped in any way, I also don't want to ever do business with Palace again :lol:  

5 minutes ago, STM said:

These two things are inextricably linked though right? 

The only knowledge you have is based on what you are told by the press.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that you and I have no idea what's been going on behind the scenes.

Whatever has been going on, it certainly hasn't been successful but the success might not be made from lack of effort.

Not really, because what we know is mainly informed by whether we've signed anyone or not and it being less than 48 hours until the deadline. If we'd been linked with everyone or noone all the time or none of the time that would still be the case. It's unbelievably poor.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I can't take any of these Mike Ashley comparisons seriously. We've stretch our spending as far as we possibly can since the new owners walked through the door.

It's because of Ashley we've been at the limit of PSR. His fucking ghost still haunts this club.  

I understand that it's not looking good, but what's the rush to call it pathetic and amateur ?  None of us know the details, what if Palace agreed the deal in private and have now backed out, screwing us over. 

And what if, and this I really hope, the deal still happens and it shuts a few gobs.  We're not being run by Ashley anymore, I never feel the need to slag the club off now, everything I've seen is geared to  moving forward. Totally get it doesn't seems so in this window, but the rush to misery and negativity is mental imo.

1 minute ago, madras said:

But not for this player. We've hit his ceiling so bringing an extra 20mill in isn't going to get him as we would t pay it. It probably is stopping us with the RW though that we should now be going for. 

I think you're more confident than I am that we have £60m or whatever to spend without any exits.

6 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I'm not making comparisons. They had time, and they clearly had money to spend. Something went wrong here, I'm sure the club is disappointed with how it went aswell. No point in going out of your way to make up excuses is my point.

Edited by Erikse

I’ve got no doubts that we’ve been all in on Guehi. My concerns with this deal have always been that we’re paying higher than his value and we seemingly don’t have any alternatives that we’re realistically going to go for. If that doesn’t change in the next day and a bit then this has been an absolutely horrendous effort by us and surely multiple key people are at fault. I still think we can have a very good season but it’s the impact this will have on existing players, on Howe and future efforts to retain players which is the major concern.

It feels like if we don’t strengthen and don’t get into Europe then the project is going to take several steps backwards. We basically have to somehow get a top five spot, possibly a Europa spot in order for this to not turn into a genuine disaster 

Edited by gbandit