Marc Guehi

gdm

13 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Despite the fact that he has been highly rated for at least the last couple of years. With Palace fans always championing his ability. 

Not really sure how he’s a one tournament wonder. We basing that off one poor performance today? 

So what is his strength that makes him worth the 70m price tag? Other than “he is talented” “he has potential”, is there something more concrete that makes him one of the best CB in the world?

All this based on one game. Where he won’t be fully up to speed after the Euros and could well be struggling mentally with quite a bit on his mind. Seems a bit knee jerk. 

The fee does seem high. But the premium for English players from this league always is. It’s nothing new. 

3 years ago he cost £18m as a 21 year old and he’s clearly massively kicked on from there. With the state of today’s fees. It’s not that outrageous.

Even if we are possibly over-paying by say 5-10 mil. As others have said. Could be because of this sell on clause being a sticking point for Palace and they’re trying to cover it this way. 

1 minute ago, Zero said:

So what is his strength that makes him worth the 70m price tag? Other than “he is talented” “he has potential”, is there something more concrete that makes him one of the best CB in the world?

Because it’s us bidding for him [emoji38] But if our overlords want him enough and get him, I’ll have to believe that to them he is worth it. Then see what Eddie and co get out of him.

1 minute ago, Zero said:

I didn’t call him one of the best CB’s in the world? What on earth are you talking about? :lol: 

If you want to use the fee paid/quoted. Then that would be daft. As that would mean Harry Maguire is one of the best :lol: that isn’t how it works. 

Saliba, Stones, Dias, VVD, Rudiger, Araujo, Gabriel etc. What would they go for in today’s market. Assuming they had a good few years left at the top level. Particularly the ones in the prem. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I didn’t call him one of the best CB’s in the world? What on earth are you talking about? :lol: 

If you want to use the fee paid/quoted. Then that would be daft. As that would mean Harry Maguire is one of the best :lol: that isn’t how it works. 

Saliba, Stones, Dias, VVD, Rudiger, Araujo, Gabriel etc. What would they go for in today’s market. Assuming they had a good few years left at the top level. Particularly the ones in the prem. 

So you mean we are going to break our bank for a defender that is not one of the best CB in the world? Seriously?

All those you mentioned, except VVD, cost the club way less than Guehi.

WTF are we doing here?

I was expecting you to really explain what’s his strength and why he can bring us to another level, by replacing Schar or Botman. I didn’t expect the answer is no he isn’t one of the best.

Edited by Zero

4 minutes ago, Zero said:

So you mean we are going to break our bank for a defender that is not one of the best CB in the world? Seriously?

WTF are we doing here?

I was expecting you to really explain what’s his strength and why he can bring us to another level, by replacing Schar or Botman. I didn’t expect the answer is no he isn’t one of the best.

They were also signed years ago, you know in a previous world where holding midfielders with one half decent season went for less than £100m. Does it sound totally ridiculous if you think of it as less than 2 Elliot Anderson’s 

4 minutes ago, Zero said:

WTF are we doing here?

Out of curiosity, which “best CB in the world” do you envisage us being able to attract?

17 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Would people be happier to sign Gomez for 40 million or Guehi for 70?

Some people would be happier because they're only capable of experiencing joy if their piss is boiling [emoji38]

18 minutes ago, Zero said:

WTF are we doing here?

Ok. From whenever I’ve seen him. He’s quick, very strong and aggressive into the tackle, extremely comfortable on the ball, great recovery pace for either his error or another player’s and ability to sweep. I also think he will continue to improve as a player. As he is 24 and has his peak years ahead of him at the position. So that needs to be factored in. 

Not good today and

not great in the air, I don’t think anyone is disputing that. 

Try and read posts properly next time. I said ‘in today’s market’. Why are you comparing past transfer fees from years gone by and ignoring inflation and the fact players go for more and more every single season. 

I suppose Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo are the best centre mids in the world as they cost £120m apiece?

Edited by Lush Vlad

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

Ok. From whenever I’ve seen him. He’s quick, very strong and aggressive into the tackle, extremely comfortable on the ball, great recovery pace. Not good today, I don’t think anyone is disputing that. 

Try and read posts properly next time. I said ‘in today’s market’. Why are you comparing past transfer fees from years gone by and ignoring inflation and the fact players go for more and more every single season. 

I suppose Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo are the best centre mids in the world as they cost £120m apiece?

I think you’re missing the point.

The guys point is if you’re paying best player in the world money. The player you’re signing should be one of the best players in the world.

He isn’t saying the biggest transfer fees in the world are the best players in the world. If anything you’re proving his point at how many high transfer fee failures there have been.

He’s terrible in the air, can’t show a player down the wing and easily switches off. I’d avoid.

1 minute ago, Toon1892 said:

I think you’re missing the point.

The guys point is if you’re paying best player in the world money. The player you’re signing should be one of the best players in the world.

He isn’t saying the biggest transfer fees in the world are the best players in the world. If anything you’re proving his point at how many high transfer fee failures there have been.

He’s terrible in the air, can’t show a player down the wing and easily switches off. I’d avoid.

You. Are. Not. Paying. Best. Player. In. The. World. Money. 

So no. I’m not missing the point. 

Did you figure that last point out of today’s game. Or has this inability to show someone down the line always been a worry of yours :lol: 

Edited by Lush Vlad