Bournemouth vs. Newcastle United: 25/08/24 @ 14:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, jack j said:

I was. He was a liability defensively last week. Better team will punish us

Aye he was poor last week, I said immediately after the game that Howe would start Kelly going forward. Some of his decision making with his passing was very poor considering the circumstances. 

His time will come but he has a lot to learn at fullback. 

Kelly makes sense in an away game against a team we've been struggling against that has a front 4 of strong and fast players. Hopefully he doesn't get an automatic place in the team now when we get to the games where Halls attacking qualities, passing, technique etc are more important.

I think with Krafth and Burn at CB there's a fair logic for having Kelly, who's something of a LB/CB hybrid, at LB to give us more defensive solidarity.

I do also think there's a good chance that this is the long term plan, Kelly being first choice LB.

It's worth noting that if we do want to play with Hall and Livramento as attacking full backs then it will require some adjustment to the way our midfield plays.

The three at the back when in possession setup allows Bruno more freedom to get forward than he'd have otherwise, for instance.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Aye he was poor last week, I said immediately after the game that Howe would start Kelly going forward. Some of his decision making with his passing was very poor considering the circumstances. 

I think it would be better for him to be given a spell of games, if he's just going to play the odd game here and there and get some minutes at the end, it's not easy to get into any sort of rhythm. But, for the team as a whole, maybe it's just a risk short term.

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Kelly makes sense in an away game against a team we've been struggling against that has a front 4 of strong and fast players. Hopefully he doesn't get an automatic place in the team now when we get to the games where Halls attacking qualities, passing, technique etc are more important.

Agreed 👍🏻 

Presume we'll revert to three at the back when out of possession, Livramento given licence to get forward. Kelly seems much more comfortable on the ball than Burn and definitely a better range of passing so hopefully he can offer a bit more than BDB does from LB. 

Just now, LFEE said:

Can see Hall playing mainly at SJP and Kelly away from home by and large depending on other teams wingers.

Howe usually doesn't rotate like this at all.

One of our best players towards the back end of last season and had a great preseason, playIng lots of minutes.

Feels a bit harsh to drop him off one bad performance where he was on a yellow all game, with a goal line clearance and keeping a clean sheet.

Hoping this is just to compensate more for aerial presence with Schar out.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Hall is such a good player, they have to find a way to get him into the team even if defensively he’s not there yet. I think Kelly is a really good player so I don’t mind him playing LB but I feel like we haven’t figured out how to get the best out of Hall which is ridiculous when he’s basically our second best passer 

I do feel like his best position in our setup might be LCM, long term.

If he can be backup to Joelinton in that spot and also be an option to give us something more attacking at LB that's a pretty valuable member of the squad who'll play a lot of minutes.

Just a pity that LCM is also Willock's best spot so there's a lot of competition there.

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

Lets see how Howe lines up in the next few weeks, but considering how many stinkers Howe has let other veteran players have without consequences it does feel harsh on Hall after one game. If it ends up being an isolated case where Hall gets more chances soon, and not the entry for Kelly to be a perma-stay in the side no matter how he plays going forward then fair enough. I can see why Kelly would be preferred in this game.

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

I think it would be better for him to be given a spell of games, if he's just going to play the odd game here and there and get some minutes at the end, it's not easy to get into any sort of rhythm. But, for the team as a whole, maybe it's just a risk short term.

He'll get his chance, but I think Kelly has been brought in as first choice tbh. 

19 is incredibly young for a fullback, there are obviously exceptions but most don't become good until mid to late 20s. 

Don’t think it’s harsh on Hall as I’m expecting more ‘horses for courses’ this season. Kelly in when Howe wants more defensive qualities and height, Hall when he expects to dominate possession.

With Schar out and Krafth at CB, Kelly will make the team a bit more solid.

Changes can be tactical not just personnel based.

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Howe usually doesn't rotate like this at all.

We'll have to wait and see obviously but in his first full season he didn't need to rotate (although he did balance Wilson & Isak's minutes very well during the run-in) and in his second he couldn't even if he wanted to.

1 minute ago, Eveready said:

One of our best players towards the back end of last season and had a great preseason, playIng lots of minutes.

Feels a bit harsh to drop him off one bad performance where he was on a yellow all game, with a goal line clearance and keeping a clean sheet.

Hoping this is just to compensate more for aerial presence with Schar out.

This one is important to point out. Most here was making it out to be that it was obvious that Hall was going to be the starter based on this, and arguing against any suggestion of Hall not being the starter. After 1 game, which wasn't even horrible, all of a sudden it's the right thing to do to drop him.

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

We'll have to wait and see obviously but in his first full season he didn't need to rotate (although he did balance Wilson & Isak's minutes very well during the run-in) and in his second he couldn't even if he wanted to.

Yes, but we could've rotated Hall and Burn for example. Or Livra.