Go on then…Rate the summer 2024 Transfer window.

gdm

4/10 would not relive.  Disappointed that we no longer look able to scout outside the PL, disappointed that we keep pushing the Only Guys That Will Improve Us line when it's plain to pretty much everyone that we have glaring gaps in the squad which are likely to cost us points or cup progression before January.  Honestly, taken in conjunction with the Ashworth saga (I reckon it's a fair point @Froggy) it all begins to feel a bit ominous to me.

Edited by OpenC

Largely to buck the trend in here...

7/10.

We didn't sell any important squad players and have added additional cover to the squad in potentially key areas. 

We have also seemingly got on top of the freshly implemented PSR changes which will benefit us for future windows.

Downside being the obvious fact we haven't really improved the first 11 through signings, but without wanting to sound too much like an Ashleyman Tonali could be the key to drive us forward and less games should hopefully mean more fitness across the board. I truly believe we will grow into this season, we simply need to focus on football and getting a few key players back and firing on all cylinders.

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, Heron said:

7/10.

We didn't sell any important squad players and have added additional cover to the squad in potentially key areas. 

We have also seemingly got on top of the freshly implemented PSR changes which will benefit us for future windows.

Downside being the obvious fact we haven't really improved the first 11 through signings, but without wanting to sound too much like an Ashleyman Tonali could be the key to drive us forward and less games should hopefully mean more fitness across the board. I truly believe we will grow into this season, we simply need to focus on football and getting a few key players back and firing on all cylinders.

Your a much better poster than giving patently terrible transfer windows 7’s. 

5 hours ago, Interpolic said:

3/10. 

Lloyd Kelly should be a solid and versatile squad member for many years. Osula is desperately needed cover in the forward positions but is an unknown quantity so we'll see. Vlach an unexpected return to dodgy favour signings. Hall was technically a summer signing and is not the finished article yet but should get there. 

Minteh/Anderson out - not particularly happy about either but needs must. The fact we've held on to Isak/Bruno/Gordon for another 6-12 months is great but the lack of activity surely jeopardises their loyalty beyond that. The team look flat atm and that's a byproduct of our inertia imo. Hopefully we can reset now and make the best of it. 

Generally I've been a happy bunny the entire time since the takeover, including during all of the challenges last season when we navigated an avalanche of mitigating circumstances. And I'm still happy in relative terms because we're infinitely better off than we were and can give anyone a game on our day. 

But we've all seen the perils of resting on your laurels in our past - the first Keegan walkout when becoming a PLC, the Bowyer summer, the Anita summer. Something doesn't seem right atm and I'm not happy with how we conducted our business. Fixating on a £75m centre half at the peak of his value is baffling when we also had big holes to fill at RW and even backup GK. 

Have to hope the new setup settles and we hit a groove with the transfers, because continuing in this direction the signs look very bad. As in we lose our manager or another DOF. Re our general strategy, surely we need to be bringing in players a year or two before they become an established star if we're going to get the best value and stay the right side of PSR? Otherwise it's going to be very tough going as we've seen this summer. 

Great summary.

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

7/10.

Nice positivity @Heron, respect it and you a lot. However, let’s judge the “additional cover” point at the end of the season. Kelly is potentially good, Oselu is more raw than a just-cracked egg and hasn’t had a minute to date despite Wilson being out, and the less said about the keepers, the better. 

2/10

I’m so pleased that it’s closed so I can’t hear about Marc bastard Guehi every day as well as PSR! Mind, why people are using this as a reason for us not spending is bollocks as we clearly had £65m to spend in this window!

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Your a much better poster than giving patently terrible transfer windows 7’s. 

:lol:

TBH mate, I have some personal shit going on and stresses that make me (a naturally positive person) feel that the only way out is to be positive.

So that is also being applied to this.

I don't disagree with what is being said by the vast, vast majority but the reason for the post above is to see some of the positives and to try and remove some of the negativity around it. It is important we learn from the negatives and use them as a driving force for continuous improvement, but it is also important we don't focus on them because it will do more harm then good. As fans, frustrated as we may be, our job is to now (as ever) back those representing us on the pitch and place our faith in a man who has been nothing but wonderful for this club in Eddie Howe.

Edited by Heron

Just now, Heron said:

:lol:

TBH mate, I have some shit going on and stresses that make me (a naturally positive person) feel that the only way out is to be positive.

So that is also being applied to this.

I don't disagree with what is being said by the vast, vast majority but the reason for the post above is to see some of the positives and to try and remove some of the negativity around it. It is important we learn from the negatives and use them as a driving force for continuous improvement, but it is also important we don't focus on them because it will do more harm then good. As fans, frustrated as we may be, our job is to now (as ever) back those representing us on the pitch and place our faith in a man who has been nothing but wonderful for this club in Eddie Howe.

Real life more important any of this, please accept my apology. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Real life more important any of this, please accept my apology. 

No need to apologise mate, you said nothing wrong - and I didn't say that to make you feel bad or owt.

I was just saying it because I guess it's a little bit about perspective. Howe, like all of us will be wondering why we've stood still (myself included), but Howe will also be thinking "How do I get the best out of this set of players" and I absolutely back him to do so.

Perhaps standing still helps us in later windows, if Eddie can pull out another period of outstanding results.

5/10.

Its nowhere near as bad as a lot of people are making out. It could have been so much worse. The fact that we held onto all of our star assets has to count for something. We strengthened in multiple positions at the back with a good free transfer and brought in an exciting young forward who can also cover multiple positions (I think). More academy players brought in too for future PSR shenanigans. It's a shame we couldn't sign a purple on the right wing but at least we didn't just randomly pluck any old knacker who was available to us or someone we'll struggle to offload in a year or two.

Roll on Spurs :thup:

Just now, Heron said:

No need to apologise mate, you said nothing wrong - and I didn't say that to make you feel bad or owt.

I was just saying it because I guess it's a little bit about perspective. Howe, like all of us will be wondering why we've stood still (myself included), but Howe will also be thinking "How do I get the best out of this set of players" and I absolutely back him to do so.

Perhaps standing still helps us in later windows, if Eddie can pull out another period of outstanding results.

Yeah I see what you’re saying but I don’t see it the same sadly. Yes we need Eddie to perform Miracles but even if he does will it be enough?

I think an overdue realisation is starting to occur throughout the club to be frank, we are banging our heads on the glass ceiling now our wings clipped. 

I ask you and everyone else,I think we can safely assume the club would have deemed this window a success if they just got Guehi in; would that have been enough to push into the CL? Because I don’t think it would be personally. It’s a big ask I know but if you aren’t back challenging for that this season we are in stagnation territory and that is an extremely difficult place to be in this league with the rules we have, you can ask West ham if you don’t believe me. 

3/10

Bought in what feel like squad fillers, despite Howe saying that any signing was to strenthen the team (Keeper from Forest really looking like a PNS we scratch your back we scratch ours).

Being forced to sell two young players with potential to go further for PNS reasons, against the wishes of Howe.

Failure to bring in anyone else with the prolonged Guehi saga streaching on for too long and making the club look a little amateur.

None of which would have been a problem if we watched the first few matches and were blown away by how well we played, I know early season and all, but we look like we are missing something as a team and not bringing people in to fix this leads to some shrugged shoulders regarding the transfer window.

2/10. We kept some important players but could be at cost to the season, and, we'll end up selling them next year anyway. It won't be fixed in jan and we'll rightly be quoted double everyone else due to desperation. They've absolutely fucked it, for now and in the near future. 

Howe needs to pull a couple of rabbits out the hat to get us top 7, but I'm more worried he's still here by the turn of the year. 

Another season of praying to the Gods that we don’t get injuries.

Another season of expecting Howe to work miracles with limited players.

I had thought the days where our biggest celebration was not selling our best players had gone but it’s pretty clear we’re miles away from that.

However, my boy Harvey should get plenty of minutes this season. Also can’t wait to see Longstaff relegated to the bench.

There’s loads of positives about this club, which is why this window is so disappointing. Just bringing a better RW in would have given the fans a bit of excitement and shifted the mood. 

2.7/10

Fucked over by the Cartel financial rules and the remaining Ashley dross on the books, the 5 year project is extended over the horizon. But we all thought the squad was good enough for top 6 before additions, with a bit of luck we can push for that and more.

We just need to come to life a bit on the pitch as we seem to be playing within ourselves.

5/10 with matters beyond our control the biggest problems. 

14 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yeah I see what you’re saying but I don’t see it the same sadly. Yes we need Eddie to perform Miracles but even if he does will it be enough?

I think an overdue realisation is starting to occur throughout the club to be frank, we are banging our heads on the glass ceiling now our wings clipped. 

I ask you and everyone else,I think we can safely assume the club would have deemed this window a success if they just got Guehi in; would that have been enough to push into the CL? Because I don’t think it would be personally. It’s a big ask I know but if you aren’t back challenging for that this season we are in stagnation territory and that is an extremely difficult place to be in this league with the rules we have, you can ask West ham if you don’t believe me. 

You're absolutely right there, which for me is why a siege mentality and remaining unified and together is the most important outcome of the transfer window for me, now.

Newcastle won't do what Liverpool would do in this scenario, they'll infight and implode, going off history. That's the difference for me longer term. We've been mugged off by the powers that be and that should be the fire that's ignites us at all levels of the club, to do better and stick it to the man.

1/10

Not only have we not strengthened, we have failed to life the mood or create any sort of momentum. In fact we have done the opposite and given Howe an even bigger job than normal. It’s genuinely unbelievable we haven’t made a signing to improve the first 11.

14 minutes ago, Kazzie said:

3/10

Bought in what feel like squad fillers, despite Howe saying that any signing was to strenthen the team (Keeper from Forest really looking like a PNS we scratch your back we scratch ours).

Being forced to sell two young players with potential to go further for PNS reasons, against the wishes of Howe.

Failure to bring in anyone else with the prolonged Guehi saga streaching on for too long and making the club look a little amateur.

None of which would have been a problem if we watched the first few matches and were blown away by how well we played, I know early season and all, but we look like we are missing something as a team and not bringing people in to fix this leads to some shrugged shoulders regarding the transfer window.

Morning glory? Lots of talk of PNS in there. :lol:

1 minute ago, MagMal said:

Fucked over by the Cartel financial rules and the remaining Ashley dross on the books, the 5 year project is extended over the horizon. But we all thought the squad was good enough for top 6 before additions, with a bit of luck we can push for that and more.

We just need to come to life a bit on the pitch as we seem to be playing within ourselves.

5/10 with matters beyond our control the biggest problems. 

Did we? I think we’ll be between 6-8th.

1 minute ago, Heron said:

You're absolutely right there, which for me is why a siege mentality and remaining unified and together is the most important outcome of the transfer window for me, now.

Newcastle won't do what Liverpool would do in this scenario, they'll infight and implode, going off history. That's the difference for me longer term. We've been mugged off by the powers that be and that should be the fire that's ignites us at all levels of the club, to do better and stick it to the man.

I love your positivity mate, I truly do. I’m not sure I agree with what your saying because Liverpool are a much more successful club than us, I’m not sure a siege mentality will be enough to see us through either. 

I need to see a plan which works towards our aims mind, wooly words (not from you btw) just don’t do anything for me I loathe being bullshitted. 

6/10

We kept our best players despite not being in Europe, though we'll need to qualify this season I fear to keep them further. 

Lack of spending means we have a bit more PSR breathing room and lowers the chance we need to sell any of them out of necessity.

Avoided the trap of spending money for the sake of it on risks or substandard players. 

We are in the position of wanting to be a top top club without actually yet being a top top club. Lack of Europe this season makes us a bit less attractive. Limits the pool of potential signings. 

I think RW is a bit of an obvious weakness. Disappointed not to have done something there. 

Worried that lack of signings show a lack of intent and affect the overall mood. I think there are just about justifiable reasons but it's a hard sell. 

Overall meh. 

And I do agree that in a sense due to how injury ravished we were last season that even no signings will feel like an upgrade to a point.