Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Newcastle United: 15/09/24 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

5 hours ago, 80 said:

These are the games we should be putting away, though. We can't assume we do the double over Villa again, beat Arsenal at home etc.

4 points is not devastating, but it is the same amount we got against these two teams last season where we didn't qualify for Europe.

P.S. Tonali absolutely starts this one for me. Anything else is crazy talk.

I mean we lost 11 away games last year. Yeah we cant assume to beat villa twice and Arsenal at home, but surely there are lots of other ones we can hope to improve upon.

I can't see Tonali starting, although I definitely would, he will have Longstaff on the training ground over the next two weeks whilst Tonali is away so think he will go with Longstaff. 

3 minutes ago, Vaj said:

I can't see Tonali starting, although I definitely would, he will have Longstaff on the training ground over the next two weeks whilst Tonali is away so think he will go with Longstaff. 

Is Tonali in the Italy squad already?

4 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Is Tonali in the Italy squad already?

Yeah which is great for him and his match fitness levels, just think that Howe will then not drop Longstaff as a result. 

Wolves are near the bottom of the table and lost two of their best players over the summer. If we have serious pretentions of being a top team this year these are the types of away games we should look to be controlling. Doesn't mean we should win, there's always going to be some randomness there, but we should be trying to control games like this.

I'm getting a bit tired of us always playing like the underdog because we can't pass the ball about, even against Southampton at home.

1 hour ago, Checko said:

Wolves are near the bottom of the table and lost two of their best players over the summer. If we have serious pretentions of being a top team this year these are the types of away games we should look to be controlling. Doesn't mean we should win, there's always going to be some randomness there, but we should be trying to control games like this.

I'm getting a bit tired of us always playing like the underdog because we can't pass the ball about, even against Southampton at home.

Why do people keep referencing Southampton at home as if we weren't down to 10 men after 28 mins ffs :lol:

3 hours ago, Displayname said:

I mean we lost 11 away games last year. Yeah we cant assume to beat villa twice and Arsenal at home, but surely there are lots of other ones we can hope to improve upon.

Right, agreed, and Wolves away is exactly the kind of game we should be looking to improve upon.

Despite all the talk on here about us away last season, most of our bad results were against teams you'd 'expect' us to struggle against - Man United, Chelsea, Brighton, Tottenham, in addition to the really big boys.

The major disappointments were Bournemouth (+1 point already), Luton, Palace, Everton ('always tough at Goodison under the lights for us'). And Wolverhampton.

22/23's success was built on us running roughshod over the bottom half of the table, home and away.

2 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

Why do people keep referencing Southampton at home as if we weren't down to 10 men after 28 mins ffs :lol:

Because we couldn't pass it against them with 11. Even against a newly promoted team at home. And they could play out of a press far better than we can quite frankly.

The sending off incident happened after Bruno dilly-dallied because he had no-one ahead of him to pass to (as usual) and ended up drawing a foul while passing back to the defence.

This pattern of play happens, [and last year happened], over and over and over again: We can't move it forward through the middle of the pitch so we end up going back to the CBs, they pass slowly along the back line to the fullback who tries to pass it up the line to a marked retreating winger, or just whacks it long up the line and try and get in behind.

This is basically our pattern of play in build-out-from-the-back-situations and it's incredibly slow and predictable and quite frankly doesn't work very well.

When we have a goal kick we end up doing the above, and generally giving the ball away, or because that's not working, just cut out the middle man and boot it long every time... and give the ball away. And once we're under pressure, we then can't get control of the game because we struggle to get out of our own half.

Fortunately we have some good players and we're good when we can hit teams quickly on the the counter, or once we're in the final third, but actually keeping posession and passing the ball from defence into the final third... quite frankly we're not very good. And haven't been for quite a while.

16 minutes ago, Checko said:

Because we couldn't pass it against them with 11. Even against a newly promoted team at home. And they could play out of a press far better than we can quite frankly.

The sending off incident happened after Bruno dilly-dallied because he had no-one ahead of him to pass to (as usual) and ended up drawing a foul while passing back to the defence.

This pattern of play happens, [and last year happened], over and over and over again: We can't move it forward through the middle of the pitch so we end up going back to the CBs, they pass slowly along the back line to the fullback who tries to pass it up the line to a marked retreating winger, or just whacks it long up the line and try and get in behind.

This is basically our pattern of play in build-out-from-the-back-situations and it's incredibly slow and predictable and quite frankly doesn't work very well.

When we have a goal kick we end up doing the above, and generally giving the ball away, or because that's not working, just cut out the middle man and boot it long every time... and give the ball away. And once we're under pressure, we then can't get control of the game because we struggle to get out of our own half.

Fortunately we have some good players and we're good when we can hit teams quickly on the the counter, or once we're in the final third, but actually keeping posession and passing the ball from defence into the final third... quite frankly we're not very good. And haven't been for quite a while.

Again, 28 minutes isn't a big enough sample size. I'll be more worried if we play a full 90 against a similar level team with the same issues.

Bruno, Isak and Gordon haven’t looked fully up to speed yet. They should all be in better condition by Wolves which should improve our play immeasurably. Throw in a fitter Tonali and maybe Wilson off the bench and we should generally have much more about us. Need to start performing in these games.

20 hours ago, Checko said:

I wouldn't be quite as scathing as that.  But building from the back has been a concern of mine on and off for quite a while.

You'd like to think and hope that Schar coming back, perhaps Kelly at CB sometimes and of course Botman, in time.  Hall at left back, Trippier getting games here and there, plus Tonali coming in.  Meaning Bruno is not the only midfielder showing for the ball back to goal and/or whilst being pressured.  Then we might start to see an improvement here. 

I do think the personnel we have had available for quite some time and the massive amount of injuries last season are fair enough as excuses/reasons.  

Edited by Lush Vlad

4 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Do people think Howe will still go with Longstaff for this in light of Tonali’s predominance? He doesn’t like dropping players after a win does he. 

Italy are playing Israel (who should be banned from International sport but that another thread) tonight. 

If Sandro gets another start that's good prep with a, subsequent, 6 day period before our game. Probs have rest days that might leave a couple of days training back with us. 

I think Longstaff will start.