Everton 0-0 Newcastle United (05/10/24)

Yorkie

Was amazed they didn’t score either tbh. They had a great chance at the end there.

I kind of felt, if that penalty that AG got (was it last season?) when he kicked a defender’s leg as he was about to strike the ball, then that should have been one for DCL as well.

Would like to see us defend well for a full 90. 

I’m not sure if this angle has been posted yet but this is never a penalty and it’s been surprising how many pundits have been talking about how poor a decision it was not to give it. 

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

On a different day and with a recognized striker we win that. Take the positives and move forward.

Yep. Repeating myself a bit from yesterday. But even allowing for the fact they were shit. I thought we looked back to our best, at least. 

Was a spell in the second half where we just kept recycling it and aggressively winning it back time after time. Thought we weren’t as passive and despite not scoring. Our attacks didn’t look as toothless as they have this season. 

Just annoying we have failed to win again. Two league games in a row where I think we could and possibly should have won. After barely deserving any of our wins prior. 

Positive signs that we have put two decent enough performances together at least. 

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

On a different day and with a recognized striker we win that. Take the positives and move forward.

This. I can't be arsed dragging through the minutiae of the game other than to agree with Mc and add we, largely, controlled it. 

2 hours ago, St1pe said:

I’m not sure if this angle has been posted yet but this is never a penalty and it’s been surprising how many pundits have been talking about how poor a decision it was not to give it. 

Part from a couple of penalties in our favour last season mind :lol:

8 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We're not good enough to break teams that sit deep down, especially away from home.

Not good enough. Just isn't.

We created plenty of chances yesterday. ???

It should be mentioned, mainly because it's literally the first instance of it I've witnessed, but Pawson was good last night. Could barely believe it when he blew up for full time and had got through the match without an insane decision. 

I don’t think we created plenty of chances at all? The Gordon penalty came from mental defending rather than good play, and aside from that we had <1 xG. Only other good chance I can think of was Gordon’s poor effort over the bar.

Bruno had a shot from eight yards where he was free, Gordon headed it back to Jow when he was five yards out. We had a penalty, we had Gordon’s miss 1 on 1. There were other ones as well but those were all very good chances 

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We created plenty of chances yesterday. ???

I genuinely don’t remember too many clear cut chances. I think we created quite a few “potential” chances that wasn’t to be because our final ball was lacking severely which resulted in no proper chance in the end. Everton allowed us possession and look to be in control more than we usually do away. Everton play that way. I just don’t think we managed to do enough despite the allowed possession. We weren’t awful by any means. I think our final balls were very poor and that we were sloppy overall when it comes to passing. Not sure how many times we lost possession unnecessarily with sloppy passing. But with us having so much possession I guess it looked better overall than it really was. Everton were really really poor and we should have won that easily even without a striker available. Fulham, more ok with as they are a good footballing team at times. 

Not to break it all down to stats but 1.73 xG, with 0.76 of that being the penalty, we really didn't create much and Gordon's conversion attempt probably takes a good percentage of the rest as well.

I thought the two big moments for me missed penalty aside was AG making a mess of sliding Barnes in through the middle near end of first half and Joelinton doing likewise for Miggy near the end of the second half. It’s those moments of sloppiness that probably annoy me the most. Wished we’d take more care with our passing in the final third.

Have to give credit to Everton’s defenders and positional play for all the byline cut backs that lead to nothing though.

15 minutes ago, Smal said:

I don’t think we created plenty of chances at all? The Gordon penalty came from mental defending rather than good play, and aside from that we had <1 xG. Only other good chance I can think of was Gordon’s poor effort over the bar.

Depends where you look. I've seen our xG as 1.79, 2.05, and 2.8.

Bruno cleared off the line

Gordon inexplicably cushioning a header back to Joelinton

Bruno skying it

Almiron volley

Tonali blocked shot

Tonali from a corner

About 40 instances of Joelinton, Barnes, Gordon, Murphy, Trippier, Tonali, Livramento getting played in and putting in a poor final ball.

Few things for me:

- I know it sends the wrong message, but I’d be taking Gordon off that penalty. He’s professional enough to understand and with Schar or Bruno you don’t have the pressure element as much. Either of them could still have missed it so there’s that.

- Everton aren’t a good side, I know we normally struggle at Goodison but they’ll be down there again this season. With teams like Chelsea back in the hunt for Europe, we need to be winning these games. The standard of the top 6 is higher than ever and we need to be taking maximum points at lower table opposition wherever possible.

- No recognised striker is an off the pitch issue and one we all saw coming back in August. Osula getting some minutes would have been welcomed but the injuries put a stop to that.

Back at SJP I fully expect us to bounce back against Brighton in a few weeks. 

Counting everything as a good chance now. Even when there wasn’t a chance because of a poor final ball :lol:  (I know what you meant) 

Edited by Ikon

22 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Bruno had a shot from eight yards where he was free, Gordon headed it back to Jow when he was five yards out. We had a penalty, we had Gordon’s miss 1 on 1. There were other ones as well but those were all very good chances 

The pen and one on one were more than enough to win the game alone. Gordon doesn't fluff his lines and no one is talking about how we didn't create enough imo.

Whether we're talking about chance creation or chance conversion something's not clicking. We've not scored from open play for over five hours now, Barnes' (eventual) consolation at Fulham being the last. 

Not going to argue against the fact that we’re poor at converting chances (Barnes aside) in open play and we’re very poor with final balls too often. That doesn’t alter the fact we created good chances yesterday, we did

3 minutes ago, midds said:

Whether we're talking about chance creation or chance conversion something's not clicking. We've not scored from open play for over five hours now, Barnes' (eventual) consolation at Fulham being the last. 

To my eyes it’s obvious we aren’t even near our best or creating enough. Yes we had chances last night but not enough. 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Not going to argue against the fact that we’re poor at converting chances (Barnes aside) in open play and we’re very poor with final balls too often. That doesn’t alter the fact we created good chances yesterday, we did

The Gordon chances were the big ones and he was poor for both of them in all honesty, the pen is weak and in the ideal spot for the keeper and the one on one should have been on target at the very least. The Bruno shot was unlucky and would have gone in 99/100. Other than that I didn't see much else that was close to being a clear chance really. I don't think it's any surprise that our goals from open play have dried up since we lost Isak, that's not a coincidence and him returning should help. 

A decent option on the bench wouldn't go amiss either

I completely agree that it’s absurd that we aren’t playing with a striker at the moment. To have three on our books and not be able to field one shows we’ve messed up in the transfer window. We could have sold Wilson in January for money and although it’s easier to say it in hindsight I think there were decent numbers who thought it was sensible to try and sell then. Isak I think has largely been unlucky with his injuries, he’s not a crock by any means but he does seem a little delicate