Defenders - Who can we get?

stozo

Guest andynufc84

Where is Bernard thses days?

From his previous spell at SJP I remember him being a stocky defender, strong on the ball and good in the tackle. I heard

a rumour that Rangers put him on a crash diet, he lost a lot of weight and was not the same player.

So basically they took away his best quality - apparently he's injured at the mo but is a million miles away from the player he used to be. nurse1.gif

At least it won't be Zat Knight anymore, he has a broken jaw so thats going to keep him out a good while. Upson is a tad bit injury prone but then again we create injury prone players anyway.

Really we need to buy a whole new back four and not just because of injuries, if we buy any players for other roles before we buy defenders I will be gutted.

Migeul is still my fav for RB and LB would be Bridge if Chelski buy a new LB and I think they will, the Bridge contract was so they can whack up his price I reckon.

As for CB's I think we will make a move for Distin and the other is anyones guess.

I didn't rate wes brown - and I still don't - at CB that is.  It seems that he is a pretty decent RB. Everytime I've seen him play there he seems alright. TBH I dont think we have a chance of getting Wes and Heinze but it would be nice to get them both.

I can't really see anyone we've mentioned realisticly comin to NUFC except Upson in Jan.

I just hope ur scouts are workin their butts off...

How about some defenders from Hamburg? They seem to be havin a bad season and they have Mathijsen and Kompany....players worth gettin imo ^^

Besides that Happy New Year!!

I didn't rate wes brown - and I still don't - at CB that is.  It seems that he is a pretty decent RB. Everytime I've seen him play there he seems alright. TBH I dont think we have a chance of getting Wes and Heinze but it would be nice to get them both.

I can't really see anyone we've mentioned realisticly comin to NUFC except Upson in Jan.

How about some defenders from Hamburg? They seem to be havin a bad season and they have Mathijsen and Kompany....players worth gettin imo ^^

Kompany is great talent!

I was very surprised when he signed for Hamburger when clubs like Chelsea,Juventus were after him

Guest Geordie_Paul

I didn't rate wes brown - and I still don't - at CB that is. It seems that he is a pretty decent RB. Everytime I've seen him play there he seems alright. TBH I dont think we have a chance of getting Wes and Heinze but it would be nice to get them both.

Aye agree with Kompany being a talent, would be nice to see if he could hack it in the premiership :p

I would love to see Baines as a Newcastle player but i don't think that's going to happen.

I'd like Bale or Baines and it would be nice to have someone with Premiership experience, but I doubt we have the kind of money necessary to get a young, quality English defender.  Bale will probably go for close to 10 mil after all the hype.  At best we could get Upson - who is overpriced and probably overrated.  Luque is probably a big asset this January - surely we can find some Spanish club that still rates him, needs a striker and would be willing to do an exchange.

To be honest I'm worried about Luque, there doesn't seem to be a very big market for him and I can see us not getting all that much for him.

Heinze would be a great signing but he's been linked to Milan recently.

Heinze would be a great signing but he's been linked to Milan recently.

In that case...I'd be satisfied with Jankulovski then :roll:

Petri Pasanen from Werder Bremen. Finnish international and a decent talent. Still young and can play at CB and RB. Before he moved to Bremen played at Ajax and once been tracked by major clubs like Milano giants AC and Inter. Would go for cheap I guess(2-3million euros).

Definitely we should go for cheaper options than overpriced English talents. Eastern and Central Europe and Africa. Probably not South America as these guys tend to have big problems with adapting to English footie not to mention the weather...

• 4 weeks later...

What about Olof Mellberg? If reports are to be *believed* Levante want to sign him for 2m and might be available. I reckon he's  a canny defender ,experienced and with half decent leadership skills which is more than we have right now. Might cost a bit more than the reported 2m Levante are offering but  could be worth pursuing

Not sure why Villa would want rid of him.

Villa don't want rid of him. Levante want him, they wanted him in the summer, the answer then was to tell them to cock off, and that will be the answer now.

He is an absolutely quality player, rock solid, classy and is loved by the fans. Only Gareth Barry is more popular at the club. And the following quote is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on a football forum.

mellberg is dog shit now believe me.  2 mil is ridiculous too, about 500k at most.

distin would be a hell of an improvement, and wouldnt cost too much because of his contract expiring, plus he can play left back.

him and ben haim would do very nicely.

we could probably have picked up him, ben haim and neill for about £7m in total.

There's a cracking left-back who plays for Ajax called Emanuelson who would be great at Newcastle. Crucially, he can attack and defend, and would at long long long long last provide the athlete we need at full-back.

Given that he plays in a league that is essentially a cattle market, he would not be too hard to bring over either.

That's who I'd get, but I'm sure Roeder & co. have never heard of him! I really do think we should shop abroad though. The English divisions have practically been sucked dry of what limited talent they bear already.

There's a cracking left-back who plays for Ajax called Emanuelson who would be great at Newcastle. Crucially, he can attack and defend, and would at long long long long last provide the athlete we need at full-back.

Given that he plays in a league that is essentially a cattle market, he would not be too hard to bring over either.

That's who I'd get, but I'm sure Roeder & co. have never heard of him! I really do think we should shop abroad though. The English divisions have practically been sucked dry of what limited talent they bear already.

Aye,he is dutch international he is 20 years old and he is very talented

I also think that not so long ago Roeder said that he looked at some players from Ajax and these players were Emanuelson and Huntelaar

But i dont think Ajax want to sell him and i dont think that Roeder is after him

HE would be class here though

Aye,he is dutch international he is 20 years old and he is very talented

I also think that not so long ago Roeder said that he looked at some players from Ajax and these players were Emanuelson and Huntelaar

But i dont think Ajax want to sell him and i dont think that Roeder is after him

HE would be class here though

Ajax are a selling club to be fair. It would only take a four or five million, in my opinion. I don't rate Huntelaar so highly, good though he is. Does anyone happen to have a link to Roeder expressing interest in Ajax players?

Newcastle warned off Huntelaar and Emanuelson

Newcastle have had to scratch two names from their January shopping list after being told to forget about Ajax duo Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Urby Emanuelson.

Manager Glenn Roeder had identified the pair among his potential targets for the winter transfer window as he attempts to strengthen his squad after seeing a relative lack of depth exposed in recent weeks.

However, the Dutch club have issued a hands-off warning to the Magpies over two of their most highly-rated performers.

Roeder said: 'Like a lot of Premiership managers, Huntelaar and Emanuelson are two players I greatly admire, but Ajax are insisting they are not for sale.'

Striker Huntelaar, a Dutch record £6million signing from Heerenveen, and 20-year-old left-back Emanuelson, both played for Holland in their 1-1 draw with England in Amsterdam last week.

The 23-year-old Huntelaar has already played at St James' Park, where he was on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline when Heerenveen lost 2-1 on Tyneside in the second leg of a UEFA Cup third round tie in February 2005.

But he impressed in the first leg, putting his side ahead before goals from Alan Shearer and Lee Bowyer handed the Magpies the advantage in Holland.

However, while Roeder's hopes of landing either man look doomed, his interest suggests the areas in which he will be looking to strengthen.

With Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi on the long-term injury-list and £10million summer signing Obafemi Martins struggling for goals, Roeder does not have a lot of options, while Celestine Babayaro's fitness record has seen central defender Peter Ramage employed as an emergency left-back.

Roeder said: 'We know which parts of our team need strengthening and we will be acting accordingly.'

The club has already been linked with, among others, Manchester United's Alan Smith, Aston Villa midfielder Steve Davis, central defenders Steve Gohouri, Patrick Kisnorbo and Valencia's David Navarro, and former frontman Lomana LuaLua, although none are thought to be genuine targets.