***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

can't wait to see what happens and what mistakes we make in the window!

maybe you should write to them and keep them right ?

already did, they sent it back saying thanks for the imput but we have championship...uhh i mean premiership level coaches, scouts, negotiator, and boards memebers, and that my imput was not needed for this club to be heading in the proper direction

:rolllrg:

that applied to the board pre-1992 that used to sell its best players, replacing them with players from the 3rd and 4th divisions, you know the one you say is better than the ones now who you slate for buying England players and playing regularly in europe  :lol: :lol:

Didn't Robson ask for Miguel and we got Carr?

Bottomless pit of money obsession again. He also wanted Carr, and was given the money to buy Milner, Butt and pay the wages to Kluivert. Its called a budget. Macbeth and his monkey will explain the concept when he comes back as he surely will soon now the team has lost a couple of games, to tell you that we didn't even have the money for Carr never mind Miguel.

The shite board spent millions before and after that summer. Damned if they spend, damned if they don't, as usual.

We couldn't afford another £3 million for Miguel but at the same time we could afford to bid £23 million for Rooney?

According to this we're going to sign everybody:

And the rest... Ten other players tipped for big moves next month

Sunday December 31, 2006

The Observer

Matthew Upson

Birmingham Age: 27; Value: £8m; Position: defender

Ex-Arsenal defender with 18 months left on his Birmingham contract and no plans to see them through. So how good is he? Upson's in dominant form - but that's in a winning team in a poor division. Plenty of self-belief, though - and he's even caught Jose's eye.

Wanted by: Everyone. Villa and Blackburn have had him watched, Harry Redknapp says 'Upson's a good player, that's for sure', Spurs and Liverpool have made inquiries, Glenn Roeder's being coy, while Chelsea, West Ham, Fulham, Sheffield United and Wigan are also in the running. The price could be driven up.

Upson says: 'Whatever bid comes in, it's up to the Birmingham board whether they take it. They're in control and I'm contracted to them. I'm sure everyone has their price. I'll be keeping my phone on.'

Steve Bruce says: 'Why would we want to sell our best player when we're top of the league? Unless it's a crazy offer, nothing's happening.'

Co-owner David Sullivan says: 'Yes, there will be some players leaving us in January. Matthew's a good player but he wants a bigger club.'

Nigel Reo-Coker

West HamAge 22; Value: £8m; Position: midfielder

Alan Curbishley could have up to £20m to spend on West Ham's survival next month and doesn't need to sell his captain - but Reo-Coker is low on form, blamed by the fans for Alan Pardew's sacking, and says he's finding life 'stressful'.

Wanted by: Everton, Man United and Newcastle. Arsenal made a £7m inquiry in August but their interest appears to have cooled.

Reo-Coker says: 'I'm happy at West Ham. It will be down to the boss whether I'm here next year. I've no idea what is going to happen in January.'

Agent says: 'He's an ambitious player and like every ambitious player wants to play at the highest level. But he's 100 per cent West Ham until told otherwise.'

Micah Richards

Man City Age 18; Value: £18m; Position: defender

England wonderkid with massive scout/agent infestation: not likely to be at Eastlands long. Reports say he's set to follow Shaun Wright-Phillips to Chelsea reserves for £18m; City say he's going nowhere. Something's got to give.

Wanted by: Arsenal and Liverpool fancy the defender, too, but can't compete with Mourinho.

Richards says: 'I'm very happy to be a City player. I'm getting first-team football and representing my country. I can't ask for more than that.'

Stuart Pearce says: 'If I say no to any sale, then I'd hope it would mean the club says no too, otherwise someone else might as well be manager.'

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Chelsea Age 25; Availability: loan; Position: midfielder

Definitive proof that the Chelsea effect is bad for football. Plucked into obscurity for £21m last year, he's made 13 league starts. The consensus is that it's time for SWP to play some football again with a six-month Premiership loan.

Wanted by: Old club Man City, Newcastle ('He's a huge talent' - Glenn Roeder), Portsmouth, West Ham, Charlton and Arsenal.

SWP says: 'I don't read newspapers, to be honest. If people want to keep talking about me that's their problem, but I'm happy. The manager wants me to stay.'

Dad Ian Wright says: 'It's obvious the manager doesn't want him to stay. He's not getting a chance but he's raring to go. He should look at other options.'

Freddy Eastwood

Southend Age 23; Value: £2.7m; Position: striker

Hot property. Signed for Southend in 2004 and scored the winner against Man United in the Carling Cup. Last summer was a target for Championship sides including Palace and Derby - but now a move straight to the Premiership beckons.

Wanted by: Aston Villa, Charlton, Watford and West Ham.

He says: 'My main aim is to play in the Premiership. I think back to the United game in the cup and that's where I want to be, playing against the bigger clubs and the bigger players. Maybe one day I'll get there.' Steve Tilson: 'If Freddy goes in January, how do we replace him? But at the end of the day it's not up to me: it's down to the chairman.' What he means: 'Don't blame me when we go down.'

David Nugent

Preston Age: 21; Value: £5m; Position: striker

Definitively the most wanted striker outside the Premiership - but Preston's desire to hold on to him through the next month is strong. A seriously high bid, though - 'silly money' - won't be knocked back.

Wanted by: Half the Premiership, but Portsmouth are favourites. 'He's a player I like,' says Harry Redknapp. 'I'm sure Mr Gaydamak will sort something out.'

Nugent says: 'The chairman says he doesn't want to sell me. You can only wait and see if offers come in. I'm happy to stay at the moment.'

Chairman Dave Shaw: 'We could have sold him in the past three transfer windows. We have no intention of letting anyone go - unless it's the right deal.'

Giles Barnes

Derby Age: 18; Value: £2.5m; Position: midfielder

Born in Derby, made his breakthrough last season and has scored five from midfield this season. Signed a four-year contract in August after advances from several Premiership sides, but the interest keeps growing.

Wanted by: Newcastle. 'He's a great offensive player. I'm not giving away any secrets here,' says Glenn Roeder. 'A lot of top clubs fancy him.' Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Everton and Spurs have all had him watched.

Barnes says: 'I'm playing for the club I love and we're riding high. I can almost taste the Premiership and that's where I want to be. I know a few clubs are showing interest but I won't let it unsettle it me.'

Billy Davies: 'Barnes could leave here and not get a game elsewhere. But every player has his price, and we'd have to consider stupid money.'

Gareth Bale

Southampton Age: 17; Value: £7m; Position: defender

Southampton's latest wonderkid, tipped to follow Theo Walcott's lead by jacking in regular first-team football for a pay hike and a spot in a Premiership reserve squad. But he's not convinced it's the right move...

Wanted by: Spurs have made an initial approach while Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United and Newcastle also want the left-back. 'It wouldn't surprise me if Bale went on to play 100 games for Wales,' says Glenn Roeder.

Bale says: 'There's a lot to be said for playing week in, week out in the Championship. I'm loving it and hope I can get into the Premiership next season with Southampton.'

George Burley says: 'I'm under no pressure to sell him, even at £7m. He has a lot to learn, he's not the finished article and he's staying here. I'm not worried about the transfer window.' What he means: 'I'm worried about the transfer window.'

Rob Earnshaw

Norwich Age: 25; Value: £4.5m; Position: striker

With 17 goals this season, Earnie's back to the sort of form that made his name at Cardiff. Failed once in the Premiership with West Brom, but reports claim at least three sides are ready to give him another go.

Wanted by: Sheffield United, Watford and, of course, Harry. Portsmouth need a striker - Redknapp says Earnshaw's his second choice after Nugent.

Earnshaw says: 'If clubs come in for me that shows I'm doing well. But I'm happy here - I want to stay through the transfer window.'

Peter Grant: 'The Premiership is the place everyone wants to play, but it'd take a hell of a lot of money to move Earnshaw. I want to keep him here.'

Steve Sidwell

Reading Age: 24; Value: £6m; Position: midfielder

Long-time contract rebel - and, despite some recent warm noises, Sidwell still won't commit. With plenty of clubs looking to import some young midfield quality next month, Reading face a battle to keep him.

Wanted by: Man City, Newcastle, Arsenal and Aston Villa.

Sidwell: 'I want to stay in the Premiership for the rest of my career with Reading - or another club. Not signing anything is the best thing for me to do right now.'

Steve Coppell says: 'Without doubt we don't want to sell him, and I don't think we will in January. But if he gets an offer I'd have to question it. I couldn't just let it happen. I'd have a serious sit down with Siddy and we'd talk about it.'

Beattie may be first to go as January sales begin

Matt Dickinson, Chief Football Correspondent

Newcastle United’s search for a target man is likely to lead to them bidding for James Beattie, the Everton forward who has been usurped by Victor Anichebe at Goodison Park.

David Moyes, the Everton manager, responded to speculation that Beattie may move to Blackburn Rovers by saying that the striker was not for sale, but Newcastle are expected to test his resolve because Peter Crouch is unavailable.

Beattie, 28, has fallen out of favour at Everton and the Merseyside club, who paid £6 million to take him from Southampton, would probably settle for about half that sum.

Newcastle had looked at Miroslav Klose, as well as Crouch, but Beattie is a more realistic option as Glenn Roeder, their manager, looks for a big No 9 to play along-side Obafemi Martins. Shola Ameobi is a long-term absentee after hip surgery.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,293-2525895,00.html

Beattie may be first to go as January sales begin

Matt Dickinson, Chief Football Correspondent

Newcastle United’s search for a target man is likely to lead to them bidding for James Beattie, the Everton forward who has been usurped by Victor Anichebe at Goodison Park.

David Moyes, the Everton manager, responded to speculation that Beattie may move to Blackburn Rovers by saying that the striker was not for sale, but Newcastle are expected to test his resolve because Peter Crouch is unavailable.

Beattie, 28, has fallen out of favour at Everton and the Merseyside club, who paid £6 million to take him from Southampton, would probably settle for about half that sum.

Newcastle had looked at Miroslav Klose, as well as Crouch, but Beattie is a more realistic option as Glenn Roeder, their manager, looks for a big No 9 to play along-side Obafemi Martins. Shola Ameobi is a long-term absentee after hip surgery.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,293-2525895,00.html

He isn't exactly fast (what Roeder likes) and to be honest he looks fat wearing those tight Everton shirts but realistically he might not be the worst signing. He'll be 3rd or 4th choice when Owen and Shola return and he has a decent scoring record, at least he did have for a few seasons at Southampton:

http://www.jamesbeattie.net/playingstatistics.asp

Why is everyone interested in silly money? What the hells wrong with the regular sensible kind?

re Beattie - don't rate him. His goals come in short runs, he has long periods without scoring, he's not cracked the England squad, the Everton Squad or managed to attract a bid from a top four side. That should tell us something... His price might be low but his wages won't be and as noted, he'll be well down the pecking order next season.

Bottomless pit of money obsession again. He also wanted Carr, and was given the money to buy Milner, Butt and pay the wages to Kluivert. Its called a budget. Macbeth and his monkey will explain the concept when he comes back as he surely will soon now the team has lost a couple of games, to tell you that we didn't even have the money for Carr never mind Miguel.

The shite board spent millions before and after that summer. Damned if they spend, damned if they don't, as usual.

We couldn't afford another £3 million for Miguel but at the same time we could afford to bid £23 million for Rooney?

I was under the impression the Rooney bid was to be funded from some kind of special package via Banks that was available only for this special player. That's what I heard anyway, so don't ask me for a link ;) and I'm not saying it is a fact. It is speculation.

I was under the impression the Rooney bid was to be funded from some kind of special package via Banks that was available only for this special player. That's what I heard anyway, so don't ask me for a link ;) and I'm not saying it is a fact. It is speculation.

i was more under the impression that we "wouldn't" go another £3mill for miguel as opposed to couldn't.

Upson £8m

Sidwell £6m (out of contract in the summer)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In regards to the original idea for the thread, that Pierre Boya is still on trial isnt he? Unless I have missed something he could well be the first signing, doubt he would be here this long if he hasn't impressed...

What about this Anthony Stokes kid? 18 years old, went to the SPL and scored 14 goals leading the charts, I know its the SPL but thats still pretty impressive, don't know what his attributes are but would maybe be worth a look as Arsenal have apparently brought him back to sell..

In regards to the original idea for the thread, that Pierre Boya is still on trial isnt he? Unless I have missed something he could well be the first signing, doubt he would be here this long if he hasn't impressed...

Pretty sure he has returned to Partizan Belgrade after about 2 weeks on trial. Taken from ICNewcastle: -

"Cameroon striker Pierre Boya has been on trial with the club this week and Roeder has not closed the door on the 22-year-old joining in the January transfer window. Boya has been playing for Partizan Belgrade since 2004 but is currently out of favour. He played just two of the club's eight Uefa Cup games this season, failing to score in either. "He's done alright," is as much as Roeder was prepared to say on the matter. "I'm not saying we're going to sign him but we're definitely not going to kill it either. We'll make a few discreet enquiries."

"The club have also had Cameroon striker Pierre Boya on trial and could sell Emre to Bayern Munich to help fund their winter rebuilding."

Guest Knightrider

I'd take Beattie. He has lost his way at Everton but part of that is down to not really wanting to join Everton in the first place, he was dead set on joining Newcastle and we were close to signing him on a couple of occasions, prior to his move to Goodison. He expected a bigger move and saw his sale to the Toffees as a massive blow to his England chances and he's never really recovered, suffering in form and attitude.

He's not a great player but he's ideal for us at the moment, he's a big strong hardworking centre-forward who given a new lease of life, could recapture some of that form he displayed for Southampton. I think he'd relish a move to SJP and I imagine he wouldn't be that expensive.

I'd take Beattie. He has lost his way at Everton but part of that is down to not really wanting to join Everton in the first place, he was dead set on joining Newcastle and we were close to signing him on a couple of occasions, prior to his move to Goodison. He expected a bigger move and saw his sale to the Toffees as a massive blow to his England chances and he's never really recovered, suffering in form and attitude.

He's not a great player but he's ideal for us at the moment, he's a big strong hardworking centre-forward who given a new lease of life, could recapture some of that form he displayed for Southampton. I think he'd relish a move to SJP and I imagine he wouldn't be that expensive.

For £3m he's the striker we need to buy.

I wouldn't pay any more than that, and i dont think NUFC should spend anymore money than that on a striker when we've limited funds, and no bodies to play.

i was more under the impression that we "wouldn't" go another £3mill for miguel as opposed to couldn't.

i think u may be right about the banks thing, i got told that northern rock payed for owen supposedly anyways

I prefer Viduka over Beattie

In terms of an investment Viduka would be a freekin disaster mate. Wrong side of 30, will want to finish his career in Aus, not the most motivated at the best of times, will want a final BIG payday and has a shit injury record.

Compare that against Beattie:

- Young (ish)

- English

- Motivated (to prove the ginger gimp in scouseland wrong)

- Will not demand HUGE wages in comparison to Viduka

- We'll be able to flog him on to a Championship side for a couple of million if he doesn't make the grade or settle

- Decent injury record.

No doubt in my mind, if I was the man in charge of the chequebook, I'd go for Beatts every day of the week. He's a low risk investment, especially after we've had our fingers burnt by Boumsong and Luque lately.

Check my previous posts, I've said Beattie is who we should go for for months.

Guest Phil K

I prefer Viduka over Beattie

Me too.

Beattie was massively over-rated in the first place, and I was overjoyed it was Everton who got suckered instead of us.

He's scored TWO this season apparently - BOTH pens.

We were very close to signing Beattie when he went to Everton, something happened at the last minute - he probably clocked O'Leary's pug-nosed face on telly talking the club down and realise what a twonk he was - and he opted for Everton.

I have to say, I'm glad he did. Their fans seem to think he is shite, by and large, and even before then has never been massively prolific.

I think he'd be a bad buy, made only slightly palatable by the fact that there isn't going to be much talent available in January.

Oh, and on a wider point of Roeder discussing transfer targets, what is the point in doing this? What possible benefit is there? Surely best to stay shtum, make the deal happening the first people hear about it.

id have beattie, wouldnt want to pay over 3-4 mill for him though

I agree. He'd be a cracking buy for the right price. People seem to have quickly forgot his Southampton form. Everton have never played in a style or system to suit him. I think they've treat him a bit like we did Kluivert.

He didn't arrive in the best of nick physically and didn't hit the ground running. Moyes lost faith. Simple as really.

Time for a new start for the lad and, I for one, would rather an in-form James Beattie was in our starting eleven rather than giving our centre backs a good battering.

Him and Martins would be breathtaking.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

id have beattie, wouldnt want to pay over 3-4 mill for him though

I agree. He'd be a cracking buy for the right price. People seem to have quickly forgot his Southampton form.

Aye, because he's never reproduced it.