Darren Bent Available

gdm

Must say, the last decent Charlton player I can recall us buying (Rob Lee) went on to be a legend for us, and is and will always be one of my all time favourite NUFC players.

Maybe we'd get lucky again...

Good job we didn't get Parker directly from Charlton then, thank god for that wasted season at Chelsea.

Probably how Liverpool and Tottenham fans felt about Newcastle in the good old days, eh. Kennedy/McDermott, Waddle/Gascoigne. Just like Charlton, a selling club with the ambition of staying in the top flight.

I'll get me coat........

So you named 4 big players that we sold pre 1992? Let be do the same for post 92...

Cole/Hamman/Woodgate/Jenas.

Well again, it was meant to be a joke but never mind. I realise jokes are allowed only from certain members.  :roll:

Cole and Woodgate were sold because the club wanted to sell them. They weren't banging on the exit door desperate to leave as far as I'm aware. The Jorman was sold because he fell out with the manager and Jenas is well, just Jenas. He couldn't hack it here and who gives a shit that he left?

In direct contrast, the four I mentioned all left despite wanting to stay at Newcastle. Like other players before them they left because they all had ambition to win things and they all knew Newcastle United didn't have that level of ambition. They also all left before reaching their prime and they all went on to become top international footballers at other clubs.

Thanks for helping to highlight my point with your examples. I still don't think you'll get it though, Thompers. You have some kind of mental blockage on this mate. Unlike some others I don't think you're stupid but for some reason you won't see the difference in circumstances. Either that or you just don't believe it.

Guest nufc 4 life

it has been quoted in papers that charlton want 15mil for Bent, i don't know if they would negotiate however, but that is their asking price

Guest nufc 4 life

i actually think that if shepherd can find the money we actually might have a chance of signing him lets hope roeder's persuasion skills are up to par lol

Glenn Roeder will spend the weekend mulling over whether to ask his chairman Freddy Shepherd to enter the race for Charlton Athletic's England striker Darren Bent.

The Newcastle United boss is an unashamed admirer of the powerful striker, but at £15m he was out of his price range in the summer.

However, despite the silly money being talked about after Charlton boss Alan Pardew announced yesterday that he was prepared to sell his prize asset, I understand that in the end Bent could eventually be bought for around £12m - if not slightly less.

This is probably more than Roeder will get from Shepherd in the January transfer window but at the same time the United chairman has always come up with the money for all his managers.

Defenders are United's immediate priority in the January sales but, if Roeder and Shepherd could get in a couple on loan, then the money could be there for a striker.

And how Roeder would love Bent to form a partnership with Oba Martins for the rest of this season when he returns from a knee ligament injury next month, and also with Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi when they return.

Despite United's injury situation, Roeder is desperately trying to do things the right way and is not doing a bad job of it. He wants his signings to have their best days in front of them and Bent, who will be 23 next month, certainly comes into this category.

At 5ft 11in he has the power and the physical presence and also the right attitude to be the ideal foil for Owen and Martins and, with Liverpool insisting Peter Crouch is not for sale, the Cambridge-born striker would be a great acquisition for United.

As soon as Pardew announced that Charlton were going to cash in on Bent, the striker, with England caps against Uruguay and Greece, was immediately linked with fellow London clubs Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham.

But Charlton would prefer to see Bent move out of London and it does not get much further than Tyneside.

Spurs boss Martin Jol, who had a £10m bid for Bent turned down in the summer, has already said he is not interested and may instead turn his attention to West Ham's burly striker Marlon Harewood.

And Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is determined not to be held at ransom for any player he buys in the future and quickly backed off when quoted £18m by Charlton for Bent. Alan Curbishley, who signed Bent when he was manager of Charlton for a bargain £2.5m in the summer of 2005, has money to spend at Upton Park but West Ham is the last club the hierarchy at The Valley would like to see their man go to.

My information is that Bent was always heading to Old Trafford but Sir Alex Ferguson has his hands full trying to persuade Bayern Munich to let him have England midfielder Owen Hargreaves for less than £20m.

Like Dean Ashton at West Ham, Bent is a big pal of United defender Steven Taylor from their time together with the England Under-21 squad, and the two strikers have often said in the past just how much they loved the atmosphere at St James' Park.

And The Chronicle can reveal that after Pardew said Bent could go, the striker told colleagues that Newcastle would be one of the clubs he would love to join.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=roeder-set-to-move-for-bent%26method=full%26objectid=18407444%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Would definately be a good move.  With Oba,  Owen and Bent,  we'd hardly have to play Shola,  too!

As said before, good player, very good goal scorer but thats a lot of money considering we have other areas to look at.

Still like the sounds of Martins, Owen, Bent, Shola. As much as people slate Shola he wouldn't be a bad 4th choice striker and the first 3 are quality!

Glenn Roeder will spend the weekend mulling over whether to ask his chairman Freddy Shepherd to enter the race for Charlton Athletic's England striker Darren Bent.

The Newcastle United boss is an unashamed admirer of the powerful striker, but at ?5m he was out of his price range in the summer.

However, despite the silly money being talked about after Charlton boss Alan Pardew announced yesterday that he was prepared to sell his prize asset, I understand that in the end Bent could eventually be bought for around ?2m - if not slightly less.

This is probably more than Roeder will get from Shepherd in the January transfer window but at the same time the United chairman has always come up with the money for all his managers.

Defenders are United's immediate priority in the January sales but, if Roeder and Shepherd could get in a couple on loan, then the money could be there for a striker.

And how Roeder would love Bent to form a partnership with Oba Martins for the rest of this season when he returns from a knee ligament injury next month, and also with Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi when they return.

Despite United's injury situation, Roeder is desperately trying to do things the right way and is not doing a bad job of it. He wants his signings to have their best days in front of them and Bent, who will be 23 next month, certainly comes into this category.

At 5ft 11in he has the power and the physical presence and also the right attitude to be the ideal foil for Owen and Martins and, with Liverpool insisting Peter Crouch is not for sale, the Cambridge-born striker would be a great acquisition for United.

As soon as Pardew announced that Charlton were going to cash in on Bent, the striker, with England caps against Uruguay and Greece, was immediately linked with fellow London clubs Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham.

But Charlton would prefer to see Bent move out of London and it does not get much further than Tyneside.

Spurs boss Martin Jol, who had a ?0m bid for Bent turned down in the summer, has already said he is not interested and may instead turn his attention to West Ham's burly striker Marlon Harewood.

And Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is determined not to be held at ransom for any player he buys in the future and quickly backed off when quoted ?8m by Charlton for Bent. Alan Curbishley, who signed Bent when he was manager of Charlton for a bargain ?.5m in the summer of 2005, has money to spend at Upton Park but West Ham is the last club the hierarchy at The Valley would like to see their man go to.

My information is that Bent was always heading to Old Trafford but Sir Alex Ferguson has his hands full trying to persuade Bayern Munich to let him have England midfielder Owen Hargreaves for less than ?0m.

Like Dean Ashton at West Ham, Bent is a big pal of United defender Steven Taylor from their time together with the England Under-21 squad, and the two strikers have often said in the past just how much they loved the atmosphere at St James' Park.

And The Chronicle can reveal that after Pardew said Bent could go, the striker told colleagues that Newcastle would be one of the clubs he would love to join.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=roeder-set-to-move-for-bent%26method=full%26objectid=18407444%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Would definately be a good move. With Oba, Owen and Bent, we'd hardly have to play Shola, too!

Don't bet on it. Odds on that all three of them will get injured a month into the new season, forcing us to pair Shola and Sib up front. :lol:

Guest nufc 4 life

bent says he would love to join us too

where's the quotes directly from him? I know his 'mate', 'close sources' and so on have said it

it says it at the bottom of the article

bent says he would love to join us too

where's the quotes directly from him? I know his 'mate', 'close sources' and so on have said it

it says it at the bottom of the article

Thats journalism, no real quotes.

Guy on SSN had me in stitches "Sources close to Newcastle have told Sky Sports News that the Magpies are considering a move for Charlton striker Darren Bent" Sources close to Newcastle? I think they mean the Chronicle  :lol:

Guy on SSN had me in stitches "Sources close to Newcastle have told Sky Sports News that the Magpies are considering a move for Charlton striker Darren Bent" Sources close to Newcastle? I think they mean the Chronicle  :lol:

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Guest Bellers

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

The source claimed: "It's my infomation that Newcastle United will make a formal apprach for Bent, however any other specualtion is wide of the mark."

Guest optimistic nit

this post should really be in the riddiculously large supathread that prevents anyone who wasn't around when it started from getting any bearing on the situation whatsovever unless they want to trawl through 6 1/2 pages of bullshit to extract the information that nothing is actually happening.

this post should really be in the riddiculously large supathread that prevents anyone who wasn't around when it started from getting any bearing on the situation whatsovever unless they want to trawl through 6 1/2 pages of bullshit to extract the information that nothing is actually happening.

7 pages, ridiculously large?

Jesus fucking Christ. :roll: At which point is it a mod's responsibility to close a thread which is getting too big for your liking and start a new one? One page? Five pages? Perhaps we should have a new thread for every single post eh?

And yes, that is where it's going. Tough fucking shit.