Glenn Hopeful on Defender Decision

Skirge

I'll have to make sure I've got nothing on next Wednesday night.  I'd hate to miss out on the news of us signing another Willie McKay reject at half 8.  ^-^

We're playing Villa, so expect some real last minute transfers once Roeder has done the post match teamtalk.

Guest Gemmill

I'll have to make sure I've got nothing on next Wednesday night.  I'd hate to miss out on the news of us signing another Willie McKay reject at half 8.  ^-^

We're playing Villa, so expect some real last minute transfers once Roeder has done the post match teamtalk.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  Roeder is fuming.  "WHAAAT??  We're playing FOOTBALL on the last day of the transfer window?  Who's idea was that?  How the FUCK am I supposed to engage in last minute transfer buffoonery?"

And Dave.  ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  Roeder is fuming.  "WHAAAT??  We're playing FOOTBALL on the last day of the transfer window?  Who's idea was that?  How the FUCK am I supposed to engage in last minute transfer buffoonery?"

And Dave.  ;)

Willie McKay will be sitting on the bench whispering names in Roeder's ear during he game. :lol:

Guest Gemmill

Is anyone surprised at this after the shambles at the end of the last window?

The only thing that I find surprising is that people are still prepared to defend him on this.  I finally lost patience last time around a week or so into August when it became horribly apparent that he really didn't know what he was doing but there were people still prepared to defend him even as we ushered Olivier Bernard through the door :lol: .  I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

This is just the same sack of crap we were fed last time round. I don't know why I get sucked in every time. I think if this carries on, the atmosphere at the Villa game could get very interesting.

Guest Gemmill

If Roeder knows his transfer budget then he has to work within its confines.  I've no doubt Shepherd is being his usual useless self in all of this, but following Roeder's performance in the last window, I'm not about to absolve him of any responsibility this time.  He's had 4 and a half months to make enquiries about players.  Looks like he's left it til the last minute once again.

I'd say it's for the sake of improving a paper-thin squad personally.

You're a clueless idiot, it's obvious how to improve a "paper thin squad,"  reduce the numbers. :o  Signed, Graeme Souness & Glenn Roeder.

Think we should seriously look into a Director of Football who would deal with transfers, leaving Roeder to just look after the team. He's fucking clueless.

For me appointing SBR as a director of football would have been perfect for both the club and SBR, unfortunatley for us though i very much doubt that will happen !

Nevertheless, I'll repeat it, your idea that there is absolutely nobody out there that can improve the squad is just mind numbingly ridiculous.

After a desperate summer they have had plenty of time to draw their plans together and look a little less shambolic this time around. But sadly (and I really hope it is all an act) Glenn still seems to be fumbling around phoning around for opinions on players at this late stage, and aparently having trouble getting anywhere.

The fact is if a player is good enough he'll be playing at the minute and his club won't want to sell that where I get this idea that there is nobody who will improve the squad. It's a whole different story in the summer but at the minute if you want an unproven talent who might come good you have to pay £10m+ for them, in the summer you will get a great experienced player for the same price and the unproven talent for probably half the price.

I absolutely agree. If Roeder and Shepherd had followed that sage advice last summer we wouldn't be in this bind now would we.  ;)

However, they didn't, and your faith that they will suddenly wheel and deal in exemplary fashion the next time around, and the idea that because of that we can and should wait untill the next opening, seems utter madness to me.

I think this is all one setup.

Roeder doesn't intend to have new players playing at home against Villa on their debut as Gemmill (who was at the match) will criticise these players, and anyone's argument otherwise is invalid as Gemmill was at the match. Such posts on a forum would demoralise these players.

Instead, Roeder intends to blood them away at Fulham when Taylor27 is at the match, and as Taylor27 is more likely to post nice stuff on a players debut, it will be a permanent morale boost for the player, especially as Gemmill isn't able to comment as he isn't at the match.

See what I said about Roeder talking too much? Just shut the fuck up and say nothing until it's confirmed, it stops the building up of anticipation then the frustration that comes afterwards when it doesn't happen. Sir Bob was much better at this than Roeder is, he never said a thing until everything was confirmed.

Guest Darth Toon

I'm starting to get the same feeling I had around the last week of the last transfer window that Glenn is deliberatley taking the piss out of us with some of his utterings:

"We're in pole position"

"At least a couple of new faces"

"Definitely a couple on loan"

"No panic signings, no better than what we have etc"

"Just need to take a closer look.....what do you mean he's signed for Liverpool??"

We've absolutely limped through to January with insufficent cover both in terms of numbers and quality, and now it looks like we have an even smaller squad to tackle the second half of the season (Rossi gone, Shola out, Moore disappeared, possibly no Emre)

At least we'll have fewer fixtures to worry about next season, so the lack of a European place as a factor in attracting new signings won't be too big a problem....

if it was up to Glenn, im fairly sure we would've signed and sold a few bodies.

If it isn't up to him he should speak out or resign. Besides, he say's himself that there are 'significant' funds available and he is simply being cautious.

We needed new defenders at the start of the season and here we are even more desperate for new faces and still nothing. Its beyond a joke now and I think come the Villa games if we still have no signings the atmosphere will show how pissed of all the fans are.