Newcastle 3 - 1 Aston Villa - Post match thoughts

Dave

Its at least the 3rd window in a row we have failed to bring any LB into the club when we have needed one.

Fixed.

I feel a bit dirty saying that though, even though Bernard doesnt really count he is blatantly trying to get fit enough to play for us through his hip injury.. shame he didnt fancy it 2 years ago.

As in its a long running joke? they play players that look like him in the reserves once in a while, then post dated pics on the official site pretending he is still at the club..

..whilst poor Olly is in a boozer laughing to be polite at the joke, before crying into his pint and going home?

Or just the fact it was a stupid signing?

Anyone who thought Bramble deserved a "7" and was "Solid" must see their respective optician to get their cataryx removed ... he was again shocking ... can't wait to see gooch ... he could not be any worse... the kid is a liability

What part of his game didn`t you like ? The clearence off the line maybe ? or the one where he dive headed it off carew`s boot?  Or maybe it was the clearences that actually past the halfway line and not straight to an opposing player like Ramage.  Maybe you didn`t like it when he did Hunty`s job and stopped Carews cross. Was just his and Taylor`s general mopping up after Carr kept missing the headers and getting muscled off the ball because Carr`s a midget too crap?  You have no concept of football. It`s because we have no RB or LB that our defence always looks a mess.

About the text speak I don`t use it , but to actually moan about it you have to be one hell of a geek or over 50 years old.

Guest Gemmill

Anyone who thought Bramble deserved a "7" and was "Solid" must see their respective optician to get their cataryx removed ... he was again shocking ... can't wait to see gooch ... he could not be any worse... the kid is a liability

What part of his game didn`t you like ? The clearence off the line maybe ? or the one where he dive headed it off carew`s boot?  Or maybe it was the clearences that actually past the halfway line and not straight to an opposing player like Ramage.  Maybe you didn`t like it when he did Hunty`s job and stopped Carews cross. Was just his and Taylor`s general mopping up after Carr kept missing the headers and getting muscled off the ball because Carr`s a midget too crap?  You have no concept of football. It`s because we have no RB or LB that our defence always looks a mess.

About the text speak I don`t use it , but to actually moan about it you have to be one hell of a geek or over 50 years old.

Bramble was alright for someone coming back from a lengthy layoff, but he did nothing to suggest that we aren't just getting the same old Titus Bramble back.  Has he got spinning rotor blades on his boots btw?  His propensity to slice clearances is something else.

I thought Huntington was poor, but I cut him a lot of slack seen as he should be nowhere near the first team.  That he is is a testament to Roeder's and Shepherd's inability to operate in a transfer window.

Question is will he drop Bramble or Taylor for Gooch?

and will he do the sensible thing and put Solano back at RB?

Agree with Hindu regarding Baba.. we need him back.

Id be tempted to put Taylor there on Saturday if Baba isnt ready to return, although it wouldnt suprise me to see Roeder play Carr there again.

Bramble and Taylor were alright. Carr was again shite, Hunty was only marginally better. Looking forward to seeing Solano back in the back 4. And, although people are quick to jump on Babas back, he's a much better LB than Hunty, Ramage, Edgar etc.

I agree in a sense but I'm still yet to see Edgar have a poor game for the first team, he shines above Huntington and seems to have a good footballing brain. Fingers crossed and that.

Question is will he drop Bramble or Taylor for Gooch?

and will he do the sensible thing and put Solano back at RB?

Agree with Hindu regarding Baba.. we need him back.

Id be tempted to put Taylor there on Saturday if Baba isnt ready to return, although it wouldnt suprise me to see Roeder play Carr there again.

Hopefully this will give us an opportunity to play whoever is in form. Taylor and Bramble are both known for having blinding games and poor games with no inbetween consistancy.  With Goon being 24 yrs old he will probably be inconsistant too. So this all works in our favour.

I thought Martins played quite well, but yet again did one or two unbelievably stupid things.  As for Bramble, he had a canny game.  I was well impressed with Carew and Young together though.

It was only a poor performance because Butt went off and dyer moved into midfield, and when sibber comes on Roeder and the team turn to long ball eventhough sibber never wins headers. We become one dimensional and predictable and villa just take it straight back and create more chances. Also we lose defensive cover because butt is wise and holds his position an breaks down opposition attacks and when he comes off we have no protection. This is why Dyer and Martins is the partnership for Newcastle. Bramble will be dropped on saturday, made more mistakes than Taylor and Taylor deserves to keep his place in the team. 

Btw Martins is friggen fast, couldn't believe it, i mean i knew he was quick but christ!!!

I agree Duff hasn't impressed so far since he joined but this was his first game back from quite a lay off. He is still settling into the club tbh and I expect him to get much better (before someone else says it, he cant get much worse). Unfortuntely for Duff he has missed the games when we have played quite well and if he was there for the times Pattison and O'Brien have had to fill in I reckon we would have looked a lot better.

Lets not write him off just yet, plenty of players have struggled to adapt straight away for their new teams this season. Duff has great ability and work rate so once he has settled im sure we will start to see a good player out on the left.

I agree Duff hasn't impressed so far since he joined but this was his first game back from quite a lay off. He is still settling into the club tbh and I expect him to get much better (before someone else says it, he cant get much worse). Unfortuntely for Duff he has missed the games when we have played quite well and if he was there for the times Pattison and O'Brien have had to fill in I reckon we would have looked a lot better.

Lets not write him off just yet, plenty of players have struggled to adapt straight away for their new teams this season. Duff has great ability and work rate so once he has settled im sure we will start to see a good player out on the left.

Good post, I havent written him off even thou he hasnt produced the goods yet. Im a little concerned over his injuries!

defensivly the midfield were non-existent,the defenders didn't actually miss much but if the midfield don't close down their men and stop the space 25yds out any defence will be put under too much pressure.

Guest Micktoon

Had a midweek break form DK to see the game. Stressful after a good start, Huntington was poor, some of Brambles clearances were "entertaining", we still at times seem to have a total inabilty to pass the round thing from one black and white shirt to another, Duff showed in short bursts what he coiuld be capable of with more games under his belt, fuck me Martins is quick and finally in the words of Jeremy Clarkson Stephen Carr is a complete waste of blood and organs.

Above and beyond all that had a great time at the temple on the hill and in my beloved Toon.

defensivly the midfield were non-existent,the defenders didn't actually miss much but if the midfield don't close down their men and stop the space 25yds out any defence will be put under too much pressure.

Because we lost the only capable holding, defensive midfielder after 20 mins  :(

Guest TampaToon

I don't understand what has happened to Duff. I really hope it's just a confidence thing. A few years ago he was voted in the the FIFA team of the year and was consistently superb. Mourinho tried to change his game and wouldn't let him take people on (he doesn't like to play wingers) and I fear he has lost his spark.

I used to love watching Duff, as an Irishman. He would always have a fantastic game. Under Ranieri he was Chelsea's best player by far. If he didn't beat his man he was obviously fouled. He just didn't lose the ball. Now he's a shadow of that player.

when i first saw him play, he was one of the most exciting players i'd seen with the ball, and have been looking forward to the possibility of him in a black & white shirt for years, so i'm not ready to declare him damaged goods just yet.

you don't just forget ability like that, and he's certainly not too old, i'm confident he gets back in the habit...right now he's just not forcing defenders to pay attention to him like milner does when he gets the ball or like zog did last season out wide.  if he can start doing that again, the whole team improves. with duff stretching them one way, martins yet another, owen turning them inside out and dyer turning them upside down, we've got the makings of one of the league's most dangerous offensive teams right around the corner.

with less skilled competition like zulte-(sumthinrother, UEFA opponent), charlton, and wigan on the way, hopefully duff can get his taste for taking people on and build a little confidence.

You're full of shit mate.

Bad peformence today,but its the result that matters..

My Ratings:

Harper 8- Kept us in it with a couple of fantastic saves from Carew and Young,Didnt miss Given today

Huntington 6-lacked conentration,Average peformence

Bramble 7- Good game,looked Solid,would still try Gooch over him

Taylor 7-Our best defender today

Carr 6- Poor

Carr and Huntington both got sixes, yet you've worded it that Hunty's performance was actually better than Carr's?

Parker 7- Good peformence,not as solid as he used to be

Butt 6- Played well but got injured in the first half

Milner 8- MOTM,a quick goal and an assist and a very good peformence throw out the match

Duff 7- Was poor the whole 90 min,but he played a huge part in the Sibreski goal

Martins 7- Still can't understand why he was chosen as the sponsers MOTM,didnt have the best of games today

Didn't have the best of games, yet gets a seven?

Dyer 7-Well taken header for the goal,didnt do alot besides that

Subs:

Sibreski 7- Nice touchs,glad to see him score like he said he will do  8)

Overall team peformence 7 Team performance a seven, yet you say previously that it was a 'bad performance'...?

Total tripe, mate.

7= Average/not good yet not bad

Fixed carr's,was going to give him a 5,my bad

7 is average?? Qhats the top score then, 14???  bluelaugh.gif

Guest Geordiesned

Sorry if this has already been covered but I've only just got round to watching the Match of the Day highlights.

It wasn't mentioned on either MOTD or Sky's coverage but the corner that led to Villa's disallowed goal wasn't a corner. At first look it appears that Taylor heads the ball over the bar from on the line. However, the ball had actually gone over the bar already and he headed it from inside the net so it should have been a goal kick. I suspect that the referee might have realised his mistake (possibly alerted by his assistant) and decided that he was going to award a free kick to us whatever happened. Unfortunately for him, Villa scored from the corner and made him look a bit foolish since the incident was then scrutinised on TV and showed if anything it was Siba who was doing the fouling.

Of course Mosley will tell you that a Premiership referee would never do such a thing.  ;)

Steve Harper - 8 - Keep us in the match.

Stephen Carr - 5 - Poor first half, but improved in the 2nd half.

Steven Taylor - 6 - A vital clearance, nothing much else.

Titus Bramble - 6 - Some harmless errors as usual, Otherwise a decent performance.

Paul Huntington - 5 - Intelligent, but technically limited.

James Milner - 8 - Lively, hardworking, intelligent.

Nicky Butt - 6 - Off early.

Scott Parker - 8 - Patrolled the midfield, protected our defenders, kept possessions, and threatening going forward.

Damien Duff - 5 - Poor. Doesn't see much of the ball however.

Kieron Dyer - 7 - Good.

Obafemi Martins - 8 - A threat throughout. Missed 2 easy chances though.

Antoine Sibierski - 7 - Scored a good goal, otherwise an average performance.

Overall verdict: We just can't keep the ball, or is it due to our game plan? We seem content to absorb the pressure and rush fast and furious when going forward. Counter attack has become our theme of play. With pacy, athletic and skillful players such as Milner, Dyer, Martins, N'Zogbia and Duff (the old version) we can afford to do this and we are reaping the rewards in games that aren't in our control (eg against Villa & Tottenham). In defensive players with fierce fighting spirits and full blooded commitments such as Parker, Butt, Taylor, Huntington/Edgar, Solano, Given and Harper we could afford to expose ourselve to oppositions' assault for prolonged period. But the limit of half baked and error prone players such as Carr, Huntington, Ramage and Bramble will be magnified in such situation. We have acquired Gooch, we are in desperate need of a reliable left back to hold the defensive line.

Huntington has got the intelligence to make vital interceptions or tactical fouls, but does not have the skills of Solano to duel well with attackers.