Roeder - no signings

Paulie Walnuts

Someone should have broken the habit of not starting their coursework at 8pm the night before it has to be handed in..

tsh... when will little glenn learn?    :undecided:

:lol: Great analogy. Bet that's what he did at school like me. Difference is, I used to accept that I was a lazy arse, rather than blaming the teacher for setting a deadline.

Well it leaves the club with no excuses not to spend in the summer..

..although by that time Huntingdon and Edgar will be considered Premiership experienced and worthy cover for LB and RB.

We have enough to get by, I understand Roeders thinking in a way. But we dont have enough to get us up to where we Should and Need to be.

I don't think he can justify blaming the timing of the transfer window for lack of signings. He has had a long time to prepare targets. Surely he didn't enter 2007 and then start thinking about targets. I would hope he would have a long list a few months before and watch them up until January and decide whether they would be right for us or not. It was clear to everyone that we needed a new left back, centre half and striker. We didn't just need a LB or CF we were desperate.

I don't like the ruling out of the "30 year olds" they could have made a big difference to our club just because they are in the twighlight of their career doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer, it smacks in the face of what he done last transfer window when he sign Sibs, who to be far came in and did a good job at the start of the season,we are better off with him than we would have been without.

Roeders actions have been poor this transfer window, I applaud him for not going out and sign any old tom, dick and harry but we were/are desperate for players even if they are short term options to see us through until the summer. On the coaching side of things I have full confidence in Roeder but at the moment I would love to see a Director of Football type person coming in and sorting out transfers.

I'm sorry, but as has been said earlier in the thread, Roeder isn't to blame. Everyone knows how this club works.... and it all comes down to one man, Fat Fred.

IF anal is to be believed, Crouch, Bent, Warnock, Babel, Davies, Barnes, Bale etc... were all on Roeders list. What's the common factor in all of those players.... they all would cost £2m upwards.... and for some reason (maybe something to do with the takeover speculation) Shepherd has been reluctant to sanction any permanant deals.

But of course, people will be intent on blaming Roeder, just because he is the face of it.

I think you are completely right about this

Its all down to fat fred and it was obvious that he didnt give any money to Roeder

What pisses me off is the stupid way Roeder slamed the transfer window and because he had the game the same night is the reason why he didnt sign anyone :idiot2:

its just stupid

Guest Gemmill

We are in the unfortunate and unenviable position of having a manager AND a chairman who are both idiots.  That's the top and bottom of it imo.

We can only hope that if Roeder does a decent job this season then Fred will loosen the purse strings in the summer.

I can (kind of) understand Fred's point of view though, a large volume of badly thought out signings for big money have got us nowhere in the last few seasons really. Much better to bring in less players but really make sure they are the ones. I agree we could have done with a couple of stop-gaps though (given the current injury situation).

Overall, a few factors combining (Previous wasteful spending, takeovers hanging in the air, Roeder having not proven himself yet, better players become available in the summer etc) meaning we are reluctant to spend at this stage.

We can only hope that if Roeder does a decent job this season then Fred will loosen the purse strings in the summer.

I can (kind of) understand Fred's point of view though, a large volume of badly thought out signings for big money have got us nowhere in the last few seasons really. Much better to bring in less players but really make sure they are the ones. I agree we could have done with a couple of stop-gaps though (given the current injury situation).

Overall, a few factors combining (Previous wasteful spending, takeovers hanging in the air, Roeder having not proven himself yet, better players become available in the summer etc) meaning we are reluctant to spend at this stage.

Maybe you are right about this

But when i think about the summer i really doubt that we will spend so much money that you are suggesting

I hope im wrong O0

What is unforgivable is the lack of signing a left full back.  Roeder is hopeless operating in the transfer market. He is too indecisive but if that was his only fault I could support him. He is a poor manager, tactically naive, unable to change a game during the 90 minutes and has no idea how to use substitutes.....fill in any I have missed.  Any good points ? Well I'm told he is a nice guy.

Maybe you are right about this

But when i think about the summer i really doubt that we will spend so much money that you are suggesting

I hope im wrong O0

Hmm, don't get me wrong, I don't think we'll spend massively, but the opportunities and circumstances might be more favourable.

If I'm encouraged by anything it's the way we seem to be adding quality to the squad. I still believe Duff, Martins, Onyewu will be successes. So if we continue to do that I think we'll be OK.

All this is with the optimistic hat on though  :undecided:

We'll be fine. We didn't sign anyone because we've not got the cash for big signings, it seemed like we could stretch to 3 million or so to bring in Babel which would have been a bargain, but that was it. It was also clear by the end that we needed to move Luque on if we were going to bring in anyone on good wages - and we didn't.

I for one am glad that we've not got a panic bought 4 million leftback who will turn out to be the next Boumsong / Luque in the next few weeks, because you know that some of the clubs who've been shopping have and they'll be stuck with them for years.

The clubs who spent significantly were at the bottom end of the table and did it using money from sugar daddies that we just don't have access to. 18 million has been spent by West Ham! It'll be interesting to see how Blackburn's signings work out though - all cheap and mostly defenders. When Mourinho can't pick up a decent centre half to support his title challenge you've got to assume they're in short supply.

Right now things are looking a lot better. Nobby got a much needed rest yesterday but with him fit and Duff playing his way to fitness we've now got Milner, Duff and Solano covering two midfield slots which is better than it's been in a while. We've got cover in the centre of defence again, and three fit strikers all scoring goals. Left back is still a bit of an issue but at least it's now about which of Huntington, Ramage or Edgar plays there rather than starting all three.

Hell even Bernard managed to play for the reserves...

What is unforgivable is the lack of signing a left full back.  Roeder is hopeless operating in the transfer market. He is too indecisive but if that was his only fault I could support him. He is a poor manager, tactically naive, unable to change a game during the 90 minutes and has no idea how to use substitutes.....fill in any I have missed.  Any good points ? Well I'm told he is a nice guy.

Agreed 100%

Guest Gemmill

We'll be fine.

We started the season woefully short up front and that was with Rossi and Shola to pick from.  We now don't have them to pick from.  We'll be fine as long as Martins and Dyer don't get injured.  If they do we'll be completely fucked and will have to resort to taking the piss out of Shola by rushing him back.

We'll be fine.

We started the season woefully short up front and that was with Rossi and Shola to pick from.  We now don't have them to pick from.  We'll be fine as long as Martins and Dyer don't get injured.  If they do we'll be completely fucked and will have to resort to taking the piss out of Shola by rushing him back.

or play this guy who we bought for 9.5m called Luque

Guest Gemmill

We'll be fine.

Who happens to be fucking diabolical and disinterested?

We'll be fine.

He is but i cant remeber does he ever played 2 games in a row in the premiership

Roeder never gave him a chance

Guest Gemmill

We'll be fine.

He is but i cant remeber does he ever played 2 games in a row in the premiership

There's a Luque thread where all this is discussed mate, but there are a couple of very good reasons why he doesn't get a game.

1.  He's shit.

2.  His attitude.

We'll be fine.

There's a Luque thread where all this is discussed mate, but there are a couple of very good reasons why he doesn't get a game.

1.  He's shit.

2.  His attitude.

He defenitely will be sold in the summer so there is no point to discuss him anymore