Michael Chopra

Nobby

Chopra has looked very out of place in the premiership let alone international football!

Has he? 7 starts in the Premiership and 14 sub appearances, a lot of them just for very few minutes. In European football one start and 4 sub appearances.

Not that I necessarily think that Chopra has it to succeed in the Premierleague, but I found it very hard to judge him on the very limited number of games he got at Newcastle.

Chopra has looked very out of place in the premiership let alone international football!

Has he? 7 starts in the Premiership and 14 sub appearances, a lot of them just for very few minutes. In European football one start and 4 sub appearances.

Not that I necessarily think that Chopra has it to succeed in the Premierleague, but I found it very hard to judge him on the very limited number of games he got at Newcastle.

When he has played he hasn't looked up to it. Yes I know he hasn't had numerous chances but he has also just not looked good enough.

He looked canny in his last ever home match for the Toon against Chelsea. Again, not saying he's good enough or whatever but Isegrim has a point.

He looked canny in his last ever home match for the Toon against Chelsea. Again, not saying he's good enough or whatever but Isegrim has a point.

Jamie McClen looked immense alongside Acuna up against Vieira and co at Arsenal, didn't stop him looking distinctly average the rest of the time.

Jamie McClen looked immense alongside Acuna up against Vieira and co at Arsenal, didn't stop him looking distinctly average the rest of the time.

But did he really look THAT average? His first ever start against Blackburn was decent (he would have scored if it hadn't been for an incorrect offside decision). And after his goal against the mackems he looked not too bad in his starts against West Brom and Chelsea. That are already nearly half of the games he actually started in the Premierleague. So I am somewhat amused about the "rest of the time" bit tbh. I don't remember Ameobi's first 20 games being real eye catchers either, in fact I don't remember Ameobi being more than distinctly average in most of his first 120 appearances...

I was just giving an example when he did look 'up to it'. I think, given sucessive managers didn't think he was good enough, he probably wasn't. For me, he lacked pace and a physical presence and if you're going to play upfront without either of those attributes you have to be one hell of a player*. That said, it wouldn't be the first time a club have fucked-up in selling a decent player.

Edit: *In the Prem.

If this is the game I think you're talking about (Gallagher handball, Ferguson bad injury), then the Chopra goal you're referring to was a mile offside.

You're right of course. I had a look at .com. It was just that Chopra started a second too early. I just remembered that the decision was totally unnecessary, although not the ref's but Chopra's fault. But I still think that he had a decent game back then, which was more my point.

I was just giving an example when he did look 'up to it'. I think, given sucessive managers didn't think he was good enough, he probably wasn't. For me, he lacked pace and a physical presence and if you're going to play upfront without either of those attributes you have to be one hell of a player*. That said, it wouldn't be the first time a club have fucked-up in selling a decent player.

Edit: *In the Prem.

I pretty much agree with this. Although I must say Ameobi did look a lot more comfortable when playing with Chopra which is a worry considering he isn't considered good enough. As you point out 3 managers opted for Shola even though on paper Chopra would be the more natural partner for Shearer. That also says quite a lot.

Chopra has looked very out of place in the premiership let alone international football! Do you think Rasiak is better than Nugent? He has scored quite a few more goals. Is Viduka better than Bellamy? He has scored more and got more assists this season...

And Nugent has looked very in place in premiership? Funnily enough you insist on damning Chopra based on the very few premiership games Chopra has played (which many of them out of position) yet you have concluded that Nugent is better than Chopra, without even seeing Nugent playing in Premiership yet.

Of course, say next year, both Nugent and Chopra are playing in Premiership and the former outshines the latter. So you will be proven right to think Nugent being a better player than Chopra. But your logic is very ridiculous to say the least.

Yeah, Viduka is evidently better than Bellamy this season. You must be really clutching on straws if you think otherwise. Rasiak has only scored 3 goals more than Nugent, so I would say they are on similar level.

Chopra has looked very out of place in the premiership let alone international football! Do you think Rasiak is better than Nugent? He has scored quite a few more goals. Is Viduka better than Bellamy? He has scored more and got more assists this season...

And Nugent has looked very in place in premiership? Funnily enough you insist on damning Chopra based on the very few premiership games Chopra has played (which many of them out of position) yet you have concluded that Nugent is better than Chopra, without even seeing Nugent playing in Premiership yet.

Of course, say next year, both Nugent and Chopra are playing in Premiership and the former outshines the latter. So you will be proven right to think Nugent being a better player than Chopra. But your logic is very ridiculous to say the least.

Yeah, Viduka is evidently better than Bellamy this season. You must be really clutching on straws if you think otherwise. Rasiak has only scored 3 goals more than Nugent, so I would say they are on similar level.

When he has had the chance Chopra hasn't looked up to it in the top level. People obviously see something in Nugent to suggest he can. He certainly looked a good player on his (very) brief appearance in an England shirt and didn't look out of place with seasoned internationals.

• 15 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 03/08/2022 at 00:58, toontownman said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62283858 

Ex-Newcastle striker Michael Chopra on gambling addiction and turning his life around

All forms of gambling advertising and sponsorship seriously needs banned from sport. I don’t gamble, but I know how destructive it can be. My mate lost 24k net in one year and that’s on top of some big wins. My sis who we recently found after years of trying to find her ended up in care homes and with foster parents because her dad (my dad) and her mum were addicted to slot machines, among other thing that contributed to her being placed in care! We’ve banned smoking advertisements and it’s about time we did with gambling. It will never happen though. It’s a mugs game. 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Gambling ads will be one of those things in the future that people won’t be able to believe were left to run rampant 

Future? I think it’s been the train of thought for many for a long time now.

1 hour ago, King HTT III said:

All forms of gambling advertising and sponsorship seriously needs banned from sport. I don’t gamble, but I know how destructive it can be. My mate lost 24k net in one year and that’s on top of some big wins. My sis who we recently found after years of trying to find her ended up in care homes and with foster parents because her dad (my dad) and her mum were addicted to slot machines, among other thing that contributed to her being placed in care! We’ve banned smoking advertisements and it’s about time we did with gambling. It will never happen though. It’s a mugs game. 

Everyone I know who gambles regularly on football etc is always skint and tight as fuck. Yet they think they are good at it. 

They never tell you when they lose, but love the attention when they get the odd decent win.

10 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Everyone I know who gambles regularly on football etc is always skint and tight as fuck. Yet they think they are good at it. 

They never tell you when they lose, but love the attention when they get the odd decent win.

I’m not against anyone gambling, it’s a free world, I smoke, I’ve taken drugs in the past etc. but it’s being massively promoted and forced on people in many ways and that’s not right IMO.  Gamble aware? Fucking bullshit, it’s a token little get out clause.

When, say I go to the shop with my boys, they have a few times now asked if they can get a scratch card and I’m like how the hell do you even know what such a thing is, oh, my school pal’s dad won x amount and shared it with his kid. No you can’t, when you’re 18 do what you like. but what message does it send to my boys when their football club’s top advertises gambling and to other kids?

Sadly a lot of kids get into gambling, and it’s easier now by doing it online or using someone else’s account set up for them. Chopra and Gillespie and Merson for example said they started gambling as teenagers.

Again as a none gambler I’ve never saw the fascination or could ever consider why anyone would just give their hard earned money away, but it can be an addiction, like alcohol, drugs and other things and can escalate to dangerous levels, costing people their lives, family and of course their homes and jobs and other things.

Just ban it from all sports in terms of advertising like they did with smoking, same with alcohol really. That needs addressed too!

Edited by King HTT III