Anyone else worried about Martins...

tmonkey

Just like to remind everyone what NUFC.com said about him.

You could also argue that Mr Martins put in one of the most inept, clueless and woeful displays that the famous number 9 shirt has ever witnessed. He wasn't particularly fast, his first touch was poor, his second, third and fourth touches weren't much better and his strength on the ball was non-existent. A less equipped player for Premiership football is hard to imagine (Lord I hope I eat those words). And you know what, I think he was trying.

:lol:

What game was that after?

You could also argue that Mr Martins put in one of the most inept, clueless and woeful displays that the famous number 9 shirt has ever witnessed. He wasn't particularly fast, his first touch was poor, his second, third and fourth touches weren't much better and his strength on the ball was non-existent. A less equipped player for Premiership football is hard to imagine (Lord I hope I eat those words). And you know what, I think he was trying.

Fulham, his home debut, his second game and having just returned from injury.

the thing is that although id be shocked and disappointed if he went in the summer or in two/three seasons time i would understand it was for carear reasons and it is about time that we make a profit on a player and if someone came in offering 23/25 million i would snatch their hands off go buy a 15/20 million pound striker and then use the rest to develop the rest of the squad no one player can be bigger than the team. While saying that selling him on and not taking massive money would mean we would end up wasting it look at some of the prices seen on players either getting onto 30 or playing poorly and still being quoted as 12/13 million the likes of crouch who is playing in a class side making him seem good and the likes of bent that would cost an arm and a leg we may as well try and keep who we have and try our best to keep him happy and doing plenty of goal celebration back flips you only improve if you hold onto your best players.

guess ive just argued my own point with myself never mind  :pottytrain5:

Fulham, his home debut, his second game and having just returned from injury.

Ah right, remeber that.

Does Martins ever score a shit goal? All seem to be pretty special.

roeder or shepherd, for all their faults, should definatly get credit for signing martins. I cant remember a player whos adapted so quickly to the premiership, especially when you consider he was a young African playing a bit part role in a Italian team, and African and Italian styles of football are surely two of the most different to the Prem.

However we've also got to accept theres was a certain amount of luck in getting him - Inter just signed two new forwards becuse of the Italian football scandal and without that he wouldnt have requested a transfer and anyway, we could have the best scouting network in the world and we might not find another obafemi martins.

my point is weve found a gem, and we should fight to keep him. our aim should be to build the team around players like oba, not sell them, and were only going to do that strenghening the defense.

I think he'll stay. Players next season around him like Owen, Dyer, Duff, Milner, Given, Taylor etc we really have the foundations laid for a great team, if we can get the defence sorted then becoming a top 4 team again isn't an impossibility.

Miles away IMO.

Aye. Just cant see it. We need more players of Owen's, Nobby's, Dyer's and Emre's abilities as a minimum to reach that level, that needs to be the core level of players we have, with the Butt's and Milner's being on top of it.

Kind of like an egg.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:OXoU9pcgeXnA1M:http://www.incredibleinedibles.shoppingcartsplus.com/i/Breakfast/VC126710.jpg

The yolk, the main part of the egg, should be players with solid ability on the ball, whilst the other players around it should be ones with abilities that the team needs (Butt defensive steel, Milner end product) but players who can be erratic or inconsistent in the basic parts of their game.

Unfortunately, our yolk players are injury prone (Dyer, Emre, Owen), or getting on (Nobby) or long off the boil (Duff). I dont think weve ever had all of them playing together. The rest of the squad are all the white part of the egg, and were never going to get anywhere near top 4 with that calibre of player as wed be no better than the other mid table teams, some of whom are much more organised than us (eg Bolton).

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8559/scrambled20eggtc0.th.jpg

us tbh...

were lucky in the fact we have tied him down to a 5 year contract, he started really slowly but has slowly adapted to life in the Premiership. I believe that him and Dyer have been our best attacking players this season. Sibierski has scored a few goals and some crucial ones but to be honest i still dont rate him much at all. Milner has chipped in with a few goals but its hit and miss with im sometimes i feel.

I echo the comments that the fact that stands out is that he has left a team top of the italian league to come and play regular football. He is fond of Newcastle because of the opportunity he has been given and the fact he has exploded onto the scene but I find it hard to believe if he continues to grow and become better that he will fancy his chances at a club playing higher level football. For our sake I hope its later rather than later.

Martins was absolute class today. Like my dad said towards the end of the game; "We have one footballer on the pitch now, and he just made a terrific pass" (when he passed a high ball to Milner at the left wing). Martins would walk in any top club on current form, 10m was a bargain for him, especially considering our situation when we bought him.

I can see Martins being the worlds best striker in three years time, I just hope he still plays for the black and white when that day comes.

If we were to sell Martins we would have to sign his replacement BEFORE any deal went through otherwise the replacement would be stupidly overpriced anyway!

As if we would do anything as sensible as lining up a replacement early. Shephard wouldnt even start looking at potential replacements until the Monday after Martins has departed.