Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Over-analysis of manager/player quotes.

Particularly when people take everything they say as being exactly what they actually think, rather than to motivate/deflect pressure etc.

Also when they assume that they'll be saying the same things in the dressing room. The media line will obviously often be very different to what gets said behind closed doors.

Guest firetotheworks

Kinda on topic - best right footed goal scored by a leftie for me has to be Ben Arfa vs Villa.

Ginola vs Ferencvaros in terms of NUFC players.

Guest firetotheworks

Ginola's was left-footed against Ferencvaros wasn't it?

Robert's v Arsenal in the cup from Shearer's flick-on was sweet as a nut.

It was, but he's right footed.

Trust me, that post wouldn't have gone down well in the Pardew era.

And rightly so, because it's bollocks.  At best the tripe Pardew came out with was simply antagonising to fans and the comments systematically built up to play us down as a club so it made it look like he was doing a better job than he was.  At worst it gave the players an excuse to approach every game with trepidation and fear and performances would suggest that was the case.

If either of you fancy telling me how some of Pardew's worst quotes served to motivate or deflect pressure, or the same with McClaren's recent ones for that matter, then I'm all ears.

And rightly so, because it's bollocks.  At best the tripe Pardew came out with was simply antagonising to fans and the comments systematically built up to play us down as a club so it made it look like he was doing a better job than he was.  At worst it gave the players an excuse to approach every game with trepidation and fear and performances would suggest that was the case.

If either of you fancy telling me how some of Pardew's worst quotes served to motivate or deflect pressure, or the same with McClaren's recent ones for that matter, then I'm all ears.

It's bollocks that what a manager says to the press isn't necessarily exactly what he thinks? And also that what he says to the players might be different behind closed doors?

You honestly believe that?

And I do think he's said some daft things btw, particularly saying 'judge me after x games' which was just setting himself up for embarrassment if we had a bad start, and the 40 points party thing is weird.

Guest firetotheworks

Seriously couldn't tell what footed he was. :lol:

He'd take corners both footed, cross field passes out to Gillespie with either foot. Magician.

I know a few people that thought he was left footed, it's more a compliment to him than anything else, he was pretty much two footed but he always led with his right.