Top 5 Premiership Defenders

Stevie

I always hear it on the commentary...but the best defenders nowadays are the "new breed of defenders" who are hugely strong and extremely athletic...so people like

Toure

Terry

Rio

Vidic aand...probably

Gallas....dunno tho...

Toure for me is the best at the moment...really fast, really really strong and as someone else said intelligent..knows when to make the tackle and his positioning is generally exceptional.

Gallas - When fit, he is awesome, a great defender & a great athlete, and versatile, can fill any defensive role

Toure - Has everything, pace, strength, good on the ball, gets forward well, scores goals.

Ferdinand - Comes across as a complete prick, but he is a hugely talented footballer.

Terry - Solid, brave, the classic English lion heart.

Carvalho - Deceptively quick, good all round defender, also the master of the sly unpunished foul, always pushing, pulling, shirt tugging etc, but he is a great defender.

my opinion and in order when fit top 5 defenders in the Premiership

1st Woodgate - the best all round English centre half, on par with Rio with use of the ball, on par with Terry leap and heading wise and has the best anticipation out of the three -

2nd Terry - best leader from Centre back in the Premiership and absolutely dominant with ariel and one on one strength battles -

3nd Ferdinand - one of the best users of the ball from Centre back and arguably the best in defending the space in behind with his pace -

4th Gallas - great user of the ball in all back 4 positions, quick, reads the game well and the most adaptable defender in the Premiership -

5th Carvalho - great at covering and very clever in one on one battles but lacks the pace and being a athlete to be one of the best  -

-Toure, King, Vidic are also fantastic-

Guest durhamsmoggy

Woodgate looks to have lost a bit of mobility since his days with us, he no longer has an edge over the likes of Terry or Carragher.

;D

Can't believe that Vidic does not appear more often in these lists

1. Nemanja Vidic - Best premiership central defender this year. Win everything in the air and everything on the ground. Has an extremely good concentration and very impressive game reading. He lacks pace but this is easily compensated by his bravery and cynical foul. Many goals conceded by Manchester United happen either when Vidic isn't playing, or outside the penalty box.

2. John Terry - I am still critical of his intelligence but he really does have the aura on him that make teammates perform better and scare the shit out of opponents. His commitments, bravery and leadership are outstanding. These attributes easily compensate his other shortcomings such as lack of space.

3. William Gallas - I don't think he is the best central defender around, although a very good one. But his impressive versatility makes him an extremely valuable defender. Very atheletic.

4. Kolo Toure - He just does his job quietly and effectively. He has partnered many different defenders (Senderos, Djourou, Campbell, Gallas) yet he has always looked very competent. A very atheletic defender, he is the father figure of young Arsenal defenders yet we often forget how young he is actually at 26.

5. Jonathan Woodgate / Rio Ferdinand

Can't believe that Vidic does not appear more often in these lists

I don't think people have seen enough to truly rate him. For instance, we see Terry/Ferdinand for England on a regular basis.

Heinze is still better than Nemanja though :D

In order, and restricting to centre backs -

Terry

Gallas

Ferdinand

Vidic

Carvalho

Terry may not be the best in possession, but his game is ideally suited to the Premiership. His ability to get on the end of crosses at both ends, and time last ditch tackles, makes him stand out.