Theo Walcott

Delima

The Guardian

What do you guys think about Theo Walcott now? Wenger has been using him as wingers who could inject a sense of urgency into the team. He is still only 17, but do you think he would eventually convert to an electric winger like Aaron Lennon, or will he reclaim his original position as striker? Regardless, I think Walcott is definitely a gem in the making.

No net profit as Walcott is set to cost Arsenal another £1m

Jeremy Wilson

Tuesday February 13, 2007

The Guardian

More than a year after paying an initial £5m for Theo Walcott, Arsenal are nearing their next instalment of a potential total £12m outlay. The 17-year-old forward is understood to be three games away from costing the Gunners another £1m.

The deal which took Walcott from Southampton contained a number of clauses, and it is believed that Arsenal must make payments of £1m for every 10 competitive matches which he starts up to a maximum of 50 - £5m - although Carling Cup matches are understood not to be included in the calculation. Five substitute appearances in other competitions count for one start, however, which takes Walcott to just over seven games.

The remaining £2m of what was a world-record fee for a 16-year-old will become due if and when Walcott plays 20 competitive matches for England. Swindon Town, the club who discovered him, received only £2,000 when he joined Southampton although they were paid a one-off five-figure fee - thought to be £50,000 - when he made his 10th appearance for Saints.

Walcott's decision to join Arsenal rather than Chelsea hinged largely on the prospect of playing alongside Thierry Henry and the captain took him to one side for a quiet talk before Sunday's match against Wigan. Henry later said it is important that supporters are patient and realistic about his team-mate's development as a player..

"One thing about Theo for all of us to remember is that he is only 17," Henry said. "I know it is not easy for you guys because he is a great prospect for England, but I do think people have to remember he is 17. It is not an easy time when you are 17 - trust me, I was there. I was struggling at 17. What we need to do is let him mature and get stronger."

Although Arsenal's goals on Sunday came after Walcott had been substituted, Henry also praised his contribution. "He [Walcott] had a great game - all of the opportunities we had in the first half were coming from Theo." He has yet to score for the Gunners himself.

Bradford City have sacked their manager Colin Todd and placed the captain David Wetherall in temporary charge of the first team. The 58-year-old former England defender was appointed as successor to Bryan Robson's in June 2004 but he has seen the team slip to three points above the League One relegation zone after only one win in their last 10 matches, the last of his defeats being 1-0 at Gillingham on Saturday.

I think he's looked pretty shit really. Then again he is still really, really young. How many other players look quality at 17? Very few, the Rooneys, Ronaldos etc but there are plenty of top class players who didn't emerge til later.

He looks like a great talent, with both pace and good close control.

Having said that, I've noticed that he has the usual English impulse to try to go past his man at every opportunity, whereas Arsenal of course have a continental style where they tend to try to pass their way through. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts.

But somewhere, some time, this lad is really going to hit it big.

He is good,but at the same time REALLY overated

i remember hearing thing about him as being "The fastest player in England" or "The best finisher in England"

My ass

but he have shown some nice touchs,and have plenty of time to grow into a fantastic player

still not worth 12 millions in my opinion

He'll move up front eventually.

Players get more space on the wing, it makes sense to play young players wide when trying to intergrate them into sides.

Fabregas began on the right for Arsenal before he moved inside.

Who the f*** ever called him those things? Nonsense.

I remember people saying s*** like that about him when he was picked for the WC squad

I thought god dam this guy must be good..A world beater who  is surley worth 12 millions..

Better than a girl in my class who thought Henry was, when I mentioned Martins she had a look of "who?" on her face.

Clueless bint.

I remember people saying shit like that about him when he was picked for the WC squad

I thought god dam this guy must be good..A world beater who  is surley worth 12 millions..

Link? Most people were amazed and unhappy when he was picked for the World Cup.

I remember people saying s*** like that about him when he was picked for the WC squad

Srry mate i don't have a link,too lazy to search for i at the time

I myself was unhappy,i guess most people who said such stuff about him were Arsenal fans..

I remember people saying shit like that about him when he was picked for the WC squad

Most people were amazed and unhappy when after all the comotion stupid goggle eyed swede didn't throw him out on the pitch. Was a great decision to take him to the WC, shame about Sven being a backtracking fool.

There was a good article going about over the weekend stating that Walcott was an example of everything that is wrong with youth systems in our country.

All about pace but little technique. Walcott is exceptionally quick, but never seems to use skill to go past players and so far there has been zero end product.

The lad couldn't be at a better club to develop him as a player. He doesn't really stand out yet but I think Wenger is just bringing him on gradually - giving him more time and matches as he progresses. In a few seasons, I think he'll be shit-hot.

There was a good article going about over the weekend stating that Walcott was an example of everything that is wrong with youth systems in our country.

All about pace but little technique. Walcott is exceptionally quick, but never seems to use skill to go past players and so far there has been zero end product.

I disagree

he got fantastic passing/crossing abilltys,he had a decent number of assists this season

His pace is a bit overated,sure he is fast but he is not faster the the likes of Lennon and Dyer

Its just that his overall peformence has been bad,or maybe its the simple fact that he didnt live to the expectaions and predictons surrounding him/his peformence

He is showing signs of turning to a great player,but he needs to devolp himself more then that,agree with the post above this,Rooney,Milner,Owen were all better then him at 17..but he is still a good prospect to watch,just bad at the moment..

Guest nufc_geordie

well he aint no wonder kid,that's for sure.....at his age owen,rooniy,fowler and even milner were better.

People develop at different speeds. Just because your not a wonder kid at 17 doesn't mean you won't make it to the top top level. The kid has great pace which is a good start for the top level and under the watchful eye of Wenger and the likes of Henry, Gilberto etc. his knowledge of the game, skills and technique can't fail to improve.

A couple of years time with more games under his belt and I think he will be fantastic.

He is fecking 17, if he isnt playing well at 21 then theres a problem. We as a country put far too much pressure on any emerging talents and the press does their very best to break them before then.

Like mentioned he is at possibly the best club for development, rightfully has been dropped out of the england reckoning and given a chance to develop.

The press and public just need to back off and let him develop. Guess it wouldnt be a problem if the people in this country ten years older than him could string two passes together for the national team.