Top 5 goalkeepers in the Premiership/World

Guest Deep456

Found this article: In which the West Brom second choice goalkeeper is 13th, and Mark Schwarzer also makes the list, still no Paul Robinson though! lol

IFFHS' World's Best Goalkeeper of the Year 2006

Award given by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS); the election is for the calendar year.

Top 22

1. Gianluigi BUFFON

2. Jens LEHMANN

3. Petr CECH

4. Iker CASILLAS

5. Edwin VAN DER SAR

6. ROGÉRIO Ceni

7. RICARDO Alexandre Martins Soares

8. Nélson de Jesus e Silva "DIDA"

9. Roberto ABBONDANZIERI

10. Fabien BARTHEZ

11. Oliver KAHN

Víctor VALDÉS

13. Pascal ZUBERBÜHLER

14. Grégory COUPET

Oswaldo SÁNCHEZ

16. Heurelho da Silva GOMES

17. Andrés PALOP

18. Igor AKINFEYEV

José María BULJUBASICH

Mark SCHWARZER

You do realise that shay Given is also not on the list?

As I'm not one of his biggest fans, I wouldn't expect him to be.

You rate shwarzer, barthez over Given? Even if you aren't a big fan of Shay, it's stupidity-it's not about being a fan of somebody or not, it's just ridiculous. I respect your opinion, but for me it's an absurd. that's all

I didn't say that I rate them above Given, if you read the post properly, you will indeed notice that I posted the results of a poll of an organisation that voted for the best keeper in 2006. Stevie Wonder can see that Shay Given is better than Schwarzer!

this thread is a joke. The best goalkeepers in the world have no noticible weaknesses. Shay does, end of conversation

Certainly, the best 'keepers have very few weaknesses. And Shay does indeed. He's in the top 5 in the Prem, no bother, but nowhere near the top 10 in the world.

Tell me 10 goalkeepers better than Shay Given?

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, and a mixture of home and world players, if I could have Given or any of the following players at my club, it wouldn't be Given: Cech, Buffon, Lehmann, Van Der Saar, Casillas, Abbondanzieri, Jaskalainen, Coupet, Foster, Boruc.

Don't get me wrong, Given has his definite strengths, he's a good keeper,  but - as others have mentioned in this thread, like all but the absolute best keepers - he has his weaknesses too. To suggest he's in the top 10 in the world is blinkered thinking.

Is this bloke the new Martin Jol?! :lol:

this thread is a joke. The best goalkeepers in the world have no noticible weaknesses. Shay does, end of conversation

Certainly, the best 'keepers have very few weaknesses. And Shay does indeed. He's in the top 5 in the Prem, no bother, but nowhere near the top 10 in the world.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, and a mixture of home and world players, if I could have Given or any of the following players at my club, it wouldn't be Given: Cech, Buffon, Lehmann, Van Der Saar, Casillas, Abbondanzieri, Jaskalainen, Coupet, Foster, Boruc.

Don't get me wrong, Given has his definite strengths, he's a good keeper,  but - as others have mentioned in this thread, like all but the absolute best keepers - he has his weaknesses too. To suggest he's in the top 10 in the world is blinkered thinking.

Not really, Brummie seems a good lad and doesn't often have digs at us or try and say in a subtle way that Villa are better than us. He disagree's with what some fans on here say but it doesnt mean he is a WUM he is just giving his honest view and thats fair enough. You may not agree with him but as said I don't think its a dig just his opinion.

Not really, Brummie seems a good lad and doesn't often have digs at us or try and say in a subtle way that Villa are better than us. He disagree's with what some fans on here say but it doesnt mean he is a WUM he is just giving his honest view and thats fair enough. You may not agree with him but as said I don't think its a dig just his opinion.

It's the 'MON the saviour' thing that sticks in my mind, telling us how great Villa would be when they were in their honeymoon period earlier in the season.

Shit club, shit fans tbh

1 david icke

2 pope john paul II

3 julio iglasias

4 albert camus

5 errr thats it

Seriously man, I wouldn't take any of those guys over Given.

1. The last thing NUFC needs right now is more rasicm controversy.

2. Always looked decidedly shaky whenever I've seen him.

3. Overrated and way past his peak. Plus Spaniards just don't seem to click with Newcastle.

4. Long-term health problems. We don't need another Dyer situation..

It's the 'MON the saviour' thing that sticks in my mind, telling us how great Villa would be when they were in their honeymoon period earlier in the season.

s*** club, s*** fans tbh

I said consistently at the start of the season that a top half finish would be considered good for us this season, and i stand by this now. MON is the best manager we could possibly have, something I said then, and something i firmly believe now.

Not that that is anything to do with me disagreeing that Shay Given is one of the ten best keepers in the world. I don't even understand why you've got such a hump. It's not as if I was saying Sorensen is a better keeper than Given (he isn't).

"shit club, shit fans"? And you're accusing me of being the wind up merchant? Oh well, just lash out when someone says something you don't agree with. That's very mature.

Don't take it to heart Brummie, it seems if someone disagree's with anything positive to do with Newcastle and they don't support us then they go on Baggio's hit list.

Don't worry, mate, I'm not.

I'd insert that thumbs-up smiley here, but I can't find it, and I'm a bit too drunk to search for it, but you know what i mean.

s*** club, s*** fans tbh

I said consistently at the start of the season that a top half finish would be considered good for us this season, and i stand by this now. MON is the best manager we could possibly have, something I said then, and something i firmly believe now.

Not that that is anything to do with me disagreeing that Shay Given is one of the ten best keepers in the world. I don't even understand why you've got such a hump. It's not as if I was saying Sorensen is a better keeper than Given (he isn't).

"s*** club, s*** fans"? And you're accusing me of being the wind up merchant? Oh well, just lash out when someone says something you don't agree with. That's very mature.

I haven't got the hump, I just think you're pretty clueless if you think Lehmann is better than Given, even the Arsenal fans I know don't think that and they see him every week.

Guest kingdawson

s*** club, s*** fans tbh

"s*** club, s*** fans"? And you're accusing me of being the wind up merchant? Oh well, just lash out when someone says something you don't agree with. That's very mature.

I haven't got the hump, I just think you're pretty clueless if you think Lehmann is better than Given, even the Arsenal fans I know don't think that and they see him every week.

As much as you can piss me off sometimes, i'd have to agree with you here. In no way is lemon a better goalkeeper then Given. The only thing that he has over Given is saving penalties. For every good save lehman makes, he'll make about 3 mistakes.

This brummie wank as booboo pointed out is the new Martin Jol.

I've said for 7 years Given is the best goalkeeper in the world, because he is.  It's not deluded it's just a fact.  Buffon?  When have we seen him in the flesh?  Oh yes when he fucked up Andy Griffin's shot in 2002.  Casillas is a good keeper but I watch him a lot and he flaps and panics more than Given.  Cech he dropped some catastrophic clangers last season.  Roeder is right, Given is number one.  Brummie yous have a reputation for being boring, no cunt is blamingh you for that, but fuckin talk some sense you idiot, fuckin Foster and Lehmann before Given.  It's like saying Thomas Sorensen isn't one of the Premierships worst 5 keepers.

The worst "being-rated-because-he's-at-a-good-club" case is definitely Victor Valdez. He looks shaky in the air and usually makes at least one mistake every season. Anyone who rates him over Given is mental, IMHO

This brummie w*** as booboo pointed out is the new Martin Jol.

I've said for 7 years Given is the best goalkeeper in the world, because he is.  It's not deluded it's just a fact.  Buffon?  When have we seen him in the flesh?  Oh yes when he f***** up Andy Griffin's shot in 2002.  Casillas is a good keeper but I watch him a lot and he flaps and panics more than Given.  Cech he dropped some catastrophic clangers last season.  Roeder is right, Given is number one.  Brummie yous have a reputation for being boring, no c*** is blamingh you for that, but fuckin talk some sense you idiot, fuckin Foster and Lehmann before Given.  It's like saying Thomas Sorensen isn't one of the Premierships worst 5 keepers.

With your convincing, cogently put argument, you've won me over, Given is the bestest goalkeeper in the whole wide world.

Feel better now?

OK Gejon nut some chimp coming on here saying Ben Foster is better than Given, and you're not allowed to respond.  The lad is either catastrophically clueless or the latter and more likely a WUM.  Ben Foster oh dear.  Given's been without the Premiership's best keeper since Schmeichel over a sustained period.

• 1 year later...
Guest rinaldo #18

PREM

-------

1) Given

2) Cech

3) Van der Sar

4) Friedel

5) Jaaskelainen

WORLD

-------

1) Buffon

2) Casillas

3) Given

4) Cech

5) Van der Sar

Guest Howaythetoon

If it wasn't for Shay today, we'd be looking at 10-1 not 5-1. He was immense and his so-called team-mates should feel unembarrassed to be in his presence. They owe him big time.