St James' Park

Delima

12 minutes ago, jack j said:

For whoever wanted wor flags to make a statement...

Personally I wouldn't mind a new stadium. Just wouldn't want it to be in the middle of nowhere. Gotta keep it in the town somehow. Just keep thinking they'll put it near Gosforth Park or something mental

We are in the City Centre at St James' Park - and that is where we are staying.

With the new regulator coming in, they couldn’t move away from the city centre if the fan base opposed it. It’s not happening anyway, they know the city centre location is a dream spot. If anything, more clubs will look to get closer to their respective city centres if they are looking to relocate.

Just now, Wandy said:

If anything, more clubs will look to get closer to their respective city centres if they are looking to relocate.

I remember one time using Google Maps Satellite to try and find the Amex in Brighton and Hove. Cue my surprise when it was like a 30 minute drive out of town :lol: 

The fact that the survey asked how much more you'd be willing to pay and started the slider at 50%. [emoji38] No way to say 'actually it's already quite pricey, like'.

Was looking at Forest tickets and the cheapest is £47, with Category 1 being £62? I'm reasonably comfortable financially compared to a lot of people, with no dependents, but I think that is a lot for that fixture. It's a bit mad that this is probably the cheap end before they start hiking things up.

13 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

How corporate it's all getting is grim like. I don't give a fuck whether I can eat sushi in the ground.

My biggest fear is them wanting people on the stadium early, eating their overpriced food and shite beer. The best way to do that? Move away from the town. Would kill the club as we know it. Really hope that isn't the case.

Hopefully Stavely et al have a bit of nous about this. I don't want to leave SJP at all but I do feel like eventually, it may become inevitable. The arena site would the most ideal location. 

SJP's days are numbered I think :(

I agree that any new stadium needs to be close to the city centre, it's one of our more unique and appealing attributes. 

Would love it to remain at the present site, but I can't see it matching the ambitions. Leazes Park will be fought over. 

Get the Arena site and build something similar to the SoFi Stadium... or maybe not...! I dunno. It's tricky as hell. 

It may be their thinking that having a significant corporate presence will allow standard ticketing to be kept at a “reasonable” level. This might well be the reasoning given for binning off SJP in its current state. An all new stadium, pretty much in the same area but with the scope to accommodate all class of fans in large numbers. The current stadium will simply never be able to do that.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

If I'm being totally honest I've never been a fan of SJP since the extension in 2000. I've been unlucky enough to be put up in Level 7 three times so far this season and it's horrible. You just feel so detached from it all and there's more atmosphere on the moon. At the Chelsea game a dad and lad next to us trying to identify various landmarks from over the East Stand roof instead of watching the game. Says it all really.

Couldn't agree more.  Never liked the lopsided SJP, and the atmosphere is harmed by it.

If they're going to F5 everything then the best option is to move to a temporary stadium on Leazes for 2 years and rebuild SJP. That small rectangle of grass has been our home for 130 years and I'd quite like that to continue to be the place we played football if at all possible like

Moving 200m up the road isn't the end of the world but I'd like to stay put given the option

10 minutes ago, Billy Warthog said:

Behold the future... 😆

SoFiToon.jpg

I've always thought it would be rad to have the bowl of the stadium up on the Leazes Park hill and then something like the part (on the right) going down towards the new park where SJP was.

40 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The fact that the survey asked how much more you'd be willing to pay and started the slider at 50%. [emoji38] No way to say 'actually it's already quite pricey, like'.

Jesus wept.

Football sold its soul years ago.  I used to get very, very angry at this stuff.  All this in the poorest region of Great Britain. 

A lot of this is down to FFP.  All FFP seems to do is ensure that the ludicrously wealthy don't have to spend as much money on their vanity projects - the plebs just end up paying more.

30 minutes ago, midds said:

If they're going to F5 everything then the best option is to move to a temporary stadium on Leazes for 2 years and rebuild SJP. That small rectangle of grass has been our home for 130 years and I'd quite like that to continue to be the place we played football if at all possible like

Moving 200m up the road isn't the end of the world but I'd like to stay put given the option

Can't believe for a second that they'd willingly spend a couple of hundred million on a temporary stadium for a couple of years so that they can retain the same postal address, mind.

38 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It may be their thinking that having a significant corporate presence will allow standard ticketing to be kept at a “reasonable” level. This might well be the reasoning given for binning off SJP in its current state. An all new stadium, pretty much in the same area but with the scope to accommodate all class of fans in large numbers. The current stadium will simply never be able to do that.

Yep, I think so too - a new ground with extensive corporate areas.  SJP doesn't have the footprint to extend this.

St James didn't look like it looks like this in the 1980 or even more in the 1970. The place is scared but the shape of the stadium always use to be refurbished to give it the current look.

Hence I do like us to build perhaps the biggest and the most expensive stadium on the current lot we have. Make construction work as quick and as swift as possible and try to finsh it in a season or two.

36 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

St James didn't look like it looks like this in the 1980 or even more in the 1970. The place is scared but the shape of the stadium always use to be refurbished to give it the current look.

Hence I do like us to build perhaps the biggest and the most expensive stadium on the current lot we have. Make construction work as quick and as swift as possible and try to finsh it in a season or two.

Where do we go in the meantime?  Newcastle isn’t surrounded by close places with big grounds.  A temporary stadium of requisite size will be a no-go.  There isn’t the room on Barrack Road to do what Spurs did.

Pretty moronic of the club to send out a survey with questions relating to corporate clients to normal folks. Great way to get people’s back ups. 

That being said, we need a new stadium that can accommodate everyone, from the rich folks to the bairns.  

53 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Where do we go in the meantime?  Newcastle isn’t surrounded by close places with big grounds.  A temporary stadium of requisite size will be a no-go.  There isn’t the room on Barrack Road to do what Spurs did.

Share the stadium with the smoggies.

2 hours ago, Strawberry said:

Share the stadium with the smoggies.

It's a no go sharing grounds with another club for a season (maybe more). The only club that could invoke any discussion is Sunderland and that would never happen in a month of Sundays. Before you even look at talking to the FA, Premier League or another club's Executives; it would be blocked straight away by another county's police force, who are not going to accept multi thousands of Newcastle fans into their city on numerous occasions. The bill for that would also be stupid and make it non viable from the start. 

Edited by et tu brute

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

It's a no go sharing grounds with another club for a season (maybe more). The only club that could invoke any discussion is Sunderland and that would never happen in a month of Sundays. Before you even look at talking to the FA, Premier League or another club's Executives; it would be blocked straight away by another county's police force, who are not going to accept multi thousands of Newcastle fans into their city on numerous occasions. The bill for that would also be stupid and make it non viable from the start. 

The police will do it if the money is right, we've had a Tory government for 13 years, its how they role.

7 hours ago, Wandy said:

This.

If we are building a new stadium, be it new SJP or not, we are not going to be building a 60k stadium with 8k cinema sofa seats. It will be a 70k stadium with about 2k cinema sofa seats, and they will be placed in areas where the bars are located in anyway, plus the tunnel club that we’ll undoubtedly get.