St James' Park

Delima

Guest johnson293

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/toon_fans_concern_over_letters_removal_1_3734326

TOON fans have been stunned after a picture appeared on the internet showing a famous sign being dismantled at St James’s Park.

The picture, showing the ‘Newcastle United’ lettering being removed from the roof of the East Stand, was posted on popular fans’ website nufc.com today.

Newcastle United bosses have confirmed that the sign is coming down, but say it will be replaced with new, identical lettering.

However, a club spokesman said they were unable to confirm or deny mounting speculation that commercial signage promoting owner Mike Ashley’s company, Sports Direct, would be added to the stand.

Steve Wraith, editor of Newcastle United fanzine Toon Talk, said: “It is sad to see a piece of history being dismantled.

“It has been there for a lot of years and means a lot to the fans.

“I broke the news on Twitter six weeks ago that it was coming down.

“It will be interesting to see what they replace it with. I do hope it is nothing commercial.”

The ‘Newcastle United’ lettering has been on the roof of the East Stand for many years.

Last season, Ashley angered supporters by having a giant Sports Direct logo added to the roof of the Gallowgate End.

Steve Wraith, editor of Newcastle United fanzine Toon Talk, said: “It is sad to see a piece of history being dismantled.

Was he just as sad when the old Gallowgate and Leazes ends were replaced by the new stands?

'However, a club spokesman said they were unable to confirm or deny mounting speculation that commercial signage promoting owner Mike Ashley’s company, Sports Direct, would be added to the stand.'

:lol:

Gutless as well.

Guest johnson293

No surprise to see Wraith getting himself in the media again, but turns out he was right. Fancy that.

He's right about the signage coming down, but he also claimed it was being completely replaced with '[email protected]' or summit didn't he?

That bit has yet to be proved.

Guest johnson293

I think that's a bit different like :lol:

Maybe - but there's far more been changed at the ground a lot more historic than some signage lettering that's been there just under 20 years.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think that's a bit different like :lol:

Maybe - but there's far more been changed at the ground a lot more historic than some signage lettering that's been there just under 20 years.

It's what the text signifies rather than anything.

Blue Line taxis and InShops?

Like I said it another thread, it wouldn't bother me as much if SJP was covered in decent brands and sponsors, but you just know if it's going to be an advert it will be more Sports Direct logos. :(

Like I said it another thread, it wouldn't bother me as much if SJP was covered in decent brands and sponsors, but you just know if it's going to be an advert it will be more Sports Direct logos. :(

Indeed.

A black and white Nike/Puma/Adidas logo on top of the Gallowgate roof would have been far less awful.

Think its a disgrace there isn't ONE board dedicated to the Bobby Robson Foundation as well.

Indeed.

A black and white Nike/Puma/Adidas logo on top of the Gallowgate roof would have been far less awful.

Think its a disgrace there isn't ONE board dedicated to the Bobby Robson Foundation as well.

Exactly what I thought, the Puma logo on the roof would look pretty cool.

I don't get why he is putting Sports Direct everywhere to be honest, I was under the impression he was selling the naming/sponsor rights of the ground, so I was expecting another brand, what happened to that plan?

Guest johnson293

Indeed.

I don't get why he is putting Sports Direct everywhere to be honest, I was under the impression he was selling the naming/sponsor rights of the ground, so I was expecting another brand, what happened to that plan?

Maybe he is using the stadium as an 'example' of the kind of advertising possible - but we don't know what sort of figure they hope to achieve for that, and maybe sponsors aren't prepared to pay that price - hence we stuck with SD.com for the foreseeable, unfortunately.

As for the Puma on the roof - maybe it was offered and Puma declined - also, only one year of strip deal left - no guarantee we will renew yet.

Probably be made by Lonsdale or Dunlop though, the way its going!

He's using every space he can for his personal advertising. Robbing the club of money. It will be accepted as the norm though. No fight or solidarity to do anything. Just like he knows he could sell The first 11 players and still the crowd will turn up and spend. He's on a winner every time.

Indeed.

Maybe he is using the stadium as an 'example' of the kind of advertising possible - but we don't know what sort of figure they hope to achieve for that, and maybe sponsors aren't prepared to pay that price - hence we stuck with SD.com for the foreseeable, unfortunately.

As for the Puma on the roof - maybe it was offered and Puma declined - also, only one year of strip deal left - no guarantee we will renew yet.

Probably be made by Lonsdale or Dunlop though, the way its going!

He could at least do it with class, eg. the Sports Direct logo on the roof wouldn't look half as bad if it was in Black and White.

I live in hope some decent brand with a pretty logo buys the rights. :lol: