St James' Park

Delima

3 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

There were grand plans afoot in the 70's to modernise the rest of the ground, but they ran out of money and the East Stand was the only modern bit that was completed. 

20210214_102249.jpg

20210214_102224.jpg

20210214_102238.jpg

20210214_102233.jpg

20210214_102243.jpg

Good stuff, I used some similar diagrams and photos on Skyscraper City - See this LINK . . . 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/newcastle-as-it-might-have-been.1009531/post-53665235

59 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

At 50 years old and counting is the East Stand the longest consecutive running stand in the history of the club?

Or does it still have a good few years to beat the Old West Stand?

I think the West Stand stood for 83 years.

35 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I think the West Stand stood for 83 years.

A lad I know went in the Directors Box before they tore it down and said it was the most splendid thing you’ve ever seen. He wished he had a camera with him that day!

3 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Going in the paddock and sitting on the edge of the pitchside walkway

Gallowgate stinking of piss all the way up the steps

Portaloos in the barren, demolished, Leazes end

Jumpers for goalposts

Just reading that made me here Alan Price's "Blaydon Races" and "Get Down On It" by Kool and the Gang, and for the Paddock "Suicide Blonde".

Pretty much the same, players warming up right in front of you. The curvature of the pitch. Cables for televised games and a menacing red light at night games from a chimney or something in Leazes terrace, like something off the Mothman prophecies. Consiering our plight at the time, it pretty much was.

saw the below on Facebook (link wouldn’t embed so have copied the text of the post below and attached the image) 

Think this would be the most ideal outcome if we were to relocate.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nufctoonarmy/permalink/10161107949178072/

Just for discussion. Possible location for New St James Park? Obviously it would need to get the go ahead from the City Council but if permission was granted we could build a 75,000 stadium close to St James park without moving. Phase 1 (white) would be built while the club played its fixtures unhindered. Phase 2 would see fixtures played at the new stadium while the present one is knocked down. This would have a capacity of around 50,000. Phase 3 would see the remaining part of the new stadium (yellow) being completed. Maybe a one stand “home end” that would hold a safe standing area of 25,000 and on par with the Yelliw Wall at Dortmund? The area in green would see a state of the art parkland that accentuate the listed buildings of Leazes Terrace. The new stadium could be sunk into the ground and designed in a way that would be in keeping with the landscape so it’s totally unobtrusive. The whole stadium could even be under a roof.  Not saying it’s the right solution but worthy of discussion?

4D6638F1-87D7-4E3A-850D-3D6892018253.jpeg

18 minutes ago, NWMag said:

saw the below on Facebook (link wouldn’t embed so have copied the text of the post below and attached the image) 

Just for discussion. Possible location for New St James Park? Obviously it would need to get the go ahead from the City Council but if permission was granted we could build a 75,000 stadium close to St James park without moving. Phase 1 (white) would be built while the club played its fixtures unhindered. Phase 2 would see fixtures played at the new stadium while the present one is knocked down. This would have a capacity of around 50,000. Phase 3 would see the remaining part of the new stadium (yellow) being completed. Maybe a one stand “home end” that would hold a safe standing area of 25,000 and on par with the Yelliw Wall at Dortmund? The area in green would see a state of the art parkland that accentuate the listed buildings of Leazes Terrace. The new stadium could be sunk into the ground and designed in a way that would be in keeping with the landscape so it’s totally unobtrusive. The whole stadium could even be under a roof.  Not saying it’s the right solution but worthy of discussion?

I like it 

10 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

It’s a shame they didn’t have the foresight back when they built the ground to move it 100 metres or so away from Leazes Terrace. Seems from that video above that they had the space to do it. 

What happened is that they did just that but then Leazes Terrace was replaced brick by brick one hundred metres closer to the the ground.

I really hope an uber architect can come up with a solution to sufficiently increase capacity where it is. 

I don't want to lost SJP, I don't want to lose the Gallowgate End, I don't want to lose the Leazes End, I don't want to lose the Strawberry Corner or the spectacular Level 7 view, even the away fans (despite being 8 mile from the pitch) love it.  It's ours and it's unique man. 

edit: as I read this, it's fairly contradictory, if the Gallowgate is increased, we lose a lot of the view.. but so.  In that scenario fuck the view :lol:

Edited by Wilson

23 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

What happened is that they did just that but then Leazes Terrace was replaced brick by brick one hundred metres closer to the the ground.

So when folk have previously joked about moving Leazes Terrace it really wasn’t as outlandish as it sounds.

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

I really hope an uber architect can come up with a solution to sufficiently increase capacity where it is. 

I don't want to lost SJP, I don't want to lose the Gallowgate End, I don't want to lose the Leazes End, I don't want to lose the Strawberry Corner or the spectacular Level 7 view, even the away fans (despite being 8 mile from the pitch) love it.  It's ours and it's unique man. 

edit: as I read this, it's fairly contradictory, if the Gallowgate is increased, we lose a lot of the view.. but so.  In that scenario fuck the view :lol:

There was an article way back when in the Chronicle and the chief architect of the Spurs stadium, Christopher Lee, said it would be possible to extend SJP. I’ll try and find it. 

edit: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-spurs-st-james-stadium-23912502

edit edit: the man has a serious resume, get on the phone Mandy https://populous.com/people/christopher-lee

Edited by Jack27

5 hours ago, Wilson said:

You seen Neom and The Line? 

They could easily design the best stadia on the planet during their lunch hour man ?

7 hours ago, NWMag said:

I like it apart from the bit about the stadium being sunk into the ground to be unobtrusive.  I want to be able to see SJP from anywhere in the city, I want it to be the first thing people see when they come over the bridge.

The cathedral on the hill.

56 minutes ago, loki679 said:

I like it apart from the bit about the stadium being sunk into the ground to be unobtrusive.  I want to be able to see SJP from anywhere in the city, I want it to be the first thing people see when they come over the bridge.

The cathedral on the hill.

That bit got me as well.

I'm not totally averse to a new stadium at all other than to have it within walking distance of boozers. 

Having said that I absolutely love seeing the ground up there wether travelling to the town from Felling, over the bridges or coming North from Blue House. 

It's a thing of beauty, has always been the heart of the city and, given heightened success, will be more so. 

I also admire old buildings so Leazes Terrace is nice too ?

11 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I think that’s a great solution if the land is available to do it. The fact the league cup tie with Palace is already sold out shows the level of demand is already there for a far bigger stadium.

Demand for Premier League football as at an all time high, and the demand at Newcastle is even higher than it was in the Keegan and Robson years. We could have sold 60k v Palace in the cup and that's with virtually no away fans. We could sell 70k+ for every league game right now.

I think it's something the owners are looking at but I reckon even they will have been shocked at the demand there is for tickets. Selling out a 3rd Round League Cup tie v Crystal Palace 2 weeks beforehand is crazy!

No doubt their original plan would have been to try to get SJP up to around the 60k mark of possible but I wouldn't be surprised if they are maybe thinking this is too low. 

Edited by Wallsendmag

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

'People buying tickets for a cup match means we they'd all be fine with moving away from St James' Park' is a huge leap in the dark like.

I never said that though. An interesting post a few up about basically doing what Spurs have done was interesting and every avenue will be looked into no doubt.

12 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

The fact the league cup tie with Palace is already sold out shows the level of demand is already there for a far bigger stadium.

6 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Think you’ve misunderstood never said the majority wanted to move from St James read it again.

If I have fair enough, but I think all you can take from that is that there's demand for tickets.

22 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

It’s a shame they didn’t have the foresight back when they built the ground to move it 100 metres or so away from Leazes Terrace. Seems from that video above that they had the space to do it. 

There's more than enough Georgian architecture in Newcastle. Leazes Terrace is in any case massively overshadowed. They should dismantle it carefully and rebuild it somewhere more appropriate.....Beamish possibly?

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If I have fair enough, but I think all you can take from that is that there's demand for tickets.

That’s my point the level of demand for tickets currently supports an increase in capacity, not as you suggested that I meant the majority wanted to leave St James, big difference.

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

That’s my point the level of demand for tickets currently supports an increase in capacity, not as you suggested that I meant the majority wanted to leave St James, big difference.

Alright, it's just that this was the context. If you were making two separate points fair enough :thup:

12 hours ago, NWMag said:

12 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I think that’s a great solution if the land is available to do it.