St James' Park: "NEWCASTLE UNITED" lettering on East Stand roof being replaced (Official)

Delima

Would we fill 10,000 more seats? Not like we sell out every match right now anyway.

Since mid Jan all apart from Norwich have been pretty much sold out or near enough.

Wolves - 52,287

Mackems - 52,388

Liverpool - 52,363

Bolton - 52,264

Stoke - 52,162

Man City - 52,389

Add in Chelsea - 52, 305 and Man United - 52,289 and almost half of home games have been near enough a sell out in normal areas of the ground.

If we keep improving and stay at this end of the table then expansion would make sense.

I think it would look great and ultimately I would love it to happen - but I don't think we need or would fill a 60,000 stadium on a regular basis.  It would be completely dependent on us being quite good.  Unless it will allow cheaper tickets to be sold to youngsters etc and make NUFC more accessible for more people.

If we are sitting in 10th place next year, I can't see us getting 50k+ attendances every game.

Would we fill 10,000 more seats? Not like we sell out every match right now anyway.

Since mid Jan all apart from Norwich have been pretty much sold out or near enough.

Wolves - 52,287

Mackems - 52,388

Liverpool - 52,363

Bolton - 52,264

Stoke - 52,162

Man City - 52,389

Add in Chelsea - 52, 305 and Man United - 52,289 and almost half of home games have been near enough a sell out in normal areas of the ground.

If we keep improving and stay at this end of the table then expansion would make sense.

maybe, is it cheap to build shit in the economy at the moment? 

that's about the only way i could see it justified...6,000 seats * 500GBP per seat per season = 3,000,000 per season extra on a very basic level, 10,000 extra = 5,000,000 say...would all depend what it costs to build surely?  can't see ashley gambling on that personally

Guest Craig-NUFC

I remember going on a stadium tour about 3/4 years ago now and the tour guide said there were plans afoot to expand the stadium to 60,000. Then we got relegated...

Guest neesy111

The cost of extending would be enormous.  Around the 40M mark for an extra 10,000 seats would be stupid IMO.

The cost of raw materials has gone through the roof since the last development, I can't see it being economically viable (whereas the numbers stacked up for the 2000 expansion as it also added significant extra capacity for boxes).

And why are people arguing about the debt (aka what Ashley's left pocket owes Ashley's right pocket). All part of the same pair of pants.

The cost of extending would be enormous.  Around the 40M mark for an extra 10,000 seats would be stupid IMO.

If those figures were correct (they are guess work) that isn't actually that bad a deal, would have paid for itself within 10 years.

If those figures were correct (they are guess work) that isn't actually that bad a deal, would have paid for itself within 10 years.

aye, if filled week in week out...big ask tbh

I'm sure it was looked into giving the Gallowgate an extension, however not only would it cost more, they'd have to build outwards too, leaving no road access via Strawberry place and also re-enforce the metro station structually.

That's what I'm let to believe anyhow.

I'm sure it was looked into giving the Gallowgate an extension, however not only would it cost more, they'd have to build outwards too, leaving no road access via Strawberry place and also re-enforce the metro station structually.

That's what I'm let to believe anyhow.

Yup. Also they don't own the street (just the land at either side) and the council would only let them build on Strawberry Place if they built a replacing through road. So you can add a couple of extra quid to the bill :laugh:

Wouldn't mind seeing the East Stand and Gallowgate roof replaced with a glass cantilever roof like the bigger stands. The metal roof is ugly. Keep the lopsidedness as i don't think we'll fill a 60,000 stadium, just make the existing stands beautiful. Like a giant, lopsided Green house.

Guest Roger Kint

Where has the talk come from of upping the seating capacity?

'Dell boi' took wiki to be a trustworthy source by the looks of it

Guest Craig-NUFC

Wouldn't mind seeing the East Stand and Gallowgate roof replaced with a glass cantilever roof like the bigger stands. The metal roof is ugly. Keep the lopsidedness as i don't think we'll fill a 60,000 stadium, just make the existing stands beautiful. Like a giant, lopsided Green house.

Prospect of not being freezing at a match

:megusta:

Where has the talk come from of upping the seating capacity?

'Dell boi' took wiki to be a trustworthy source by the looks of it

Well not really :lol:

Could someone photoshop the aerial view with matching roofs on the current stadium? Be interesting to see.

Could someone photoshop the aerial view with matching roofs on the current stadium? Be interesting to see.

Errr, do you mean something like this?

http://i46.tinypic.com/14d287l.png

Looks weird.

Errr, do you mean something like this?

http://i48.tinypic.com/152ewzk.png

Looks weird.

http://i45.tinypic.com/191grm.png

A better effort, not by much though  :blush: (sorry). Looks class and unique IMO and we would be able to fill it.

Would also keep that 'enclosed' feel of the gallowgate with the roof lower.