St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Wouldn’t mind it hurting some of the pubs that wouldn’t help out during the MA boycott in particular the Spurs boycott. The Strawberry can get fcuked as far as I’m concerned ?

What happened?

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

What happened?

Was a handful of places that weren’t fans of having us handing out leaflets during the PardewOut/AshleyOut days or leaving them on the bar.

9 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

What happened?

I spent 2 full evenings going round every bar in Gateshead & Newcastle (central) handing out flyers and posters prior to Spurs boycott explaining the plan for fans to watch in pub and maybe offer drinks deals if they wish and to get it out on their own social media etc and in turn we would publicise them on ours etc. The Strawberry (manager that evening) didn’t want anything to do with going against the club and didn’t want to help in any way. Sticks in me a bit as they probably benefitted the most when 25k stayed away.

Edited by LFEE

That spurs game was fucking bleak mind. I remember being on a massive comedown on my way back to London from Tunbridge Wells of all places. It’s amazing to look back at how disengaged I was. It was on the radio I think. 

I still can’t believe how many fucked it off. Brought a tear to my eye. In a perverse way I do sort of miss the gallows humour and camaraderie of those bleak days. 

Particularly enjoying fucking over the wanker mouthpieces that normally speak for the fanbase.

Just now, Disco said:

I still can’t believe how many fucked it off. Brought a tear to my eye. In a perverse way I do sort of miss the gallows humour and camaraderie of those bleak days. 

What was the crowd? I just looked at the BBC report and they mentioned the boycott, so not an entirely wasted effort. How was the atmosphere around town?

4 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

What was the crowd? I just looked at the BBC report and they mentioned the boycott, so not an entirely wasted effort. How was the atmosphere around town?

47k I think officially as tickets sold but more like 37-38k from memory. Huge amounts of empty seats and we got absolutely pumped as well I think so it’ll have been a morgue in the second half.

A heady mix of defiance, deflation and anger as it always was whenever anything was tried during those days. 

Think an FOI revealed it as 31-ish thousand? 

Was a brilliant achievement but bringing this sort of stuff up just reminds me of the 31,000 (or whatever) who still went. :lol:

Couldn't even hack one game away. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Was a brilliant achievement but bringing this sort of stuff up just reminds me of the 31,000 (or whatever) who still went. :lol:

Actually that sounds about right. Council confirmed it didn’t they or something? 

Nowt like being called a wanker by fellow fans for wanting the club to be better. :lol:

They'll still see it as them heroically sticking with the club through thick and thin. Probably think they've facilitated the current situation. You can't cure thick. 

For clarity I've no issue with people who continued to go for social reasons or whatever but anyone who was a twat towards those of us who tried to force change once and for all can get to fuck. 

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

And they're the ones lapping it up now. Pricks. 

6 hours ago, Disco said:

Actually that sounds about right. Council confirmed it didn’t they or something? 

Nowt like being called a wanker by fellow fans for wanting the club to be better. :lol:

Was around 27-29k mark iirc as remember knocking around 20+k off the capacity.

Think we got the figures from police safety officer as they knew the true figure not tickets sold figure the club put out.

Got to laugh reading the chronicle and mag comments...all the twisty fuckers saying we got a fanzone called the city centre and it will be £6 a pint. Be the same fuckers who complained about safe standing, champions league ticket prices and wanted to sit at wembley. 

If anything back end of last season you could'nt swing a cat in a lot of pubs so can't see the issue. Club has to move forward.

Just watching a YT thing about the friendlies and a big piece on Atlantas stadium but I wonder how well that system would go down over here. I'm old school, love my pre match pub(s), walking up to the ground just in time for KO. Would UK football culture take on this change to spending more time (and money) in the ground ?

Obviously can't complain about redundant land being put to use, and even better that the club has final say over the intentions... but curious to know how much of a 'NUFC fanzone' it's going to be, as opposed to just Stack branded with Newcastle crests. I.e. if it's literally just another piss-up and bait option then it'd be a bit of a shame; like hopefully there'll be an 'event' aspect to it, for instance. Stuff for young fans and what-have-you; an environment that's attractive for fans rather than exclusively fans whose routine is to have pints before the game (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this routine btw, it is my own).

Anyway, it's undoubtedly a good thing and good to get the space used pending stadium expansion. Believe these sites are also good for young businesses and talent to get themselves noticed; certainly that's been the case with the York equivalent.  

15 hours ago, Disco said:

Ah nice. Didn’t know that. 

Yes in the old ballroom towards the car park. Think there was already consent to use for a similar use, but now Stack have taken it on and submitted amended plans.

Hopefully it will a decent venue, bring the club some money in, and have some match day events. If it is say £6 a pint I'd still be going to to the mile castle or elsewhere for a few pre-games pints, but I am sure a lot of people will use it, and enjoy it. 

It would be mint if they named it Stock or Stick or something like that instead in reference to the good old days of beoutQ. Could even paint on a few buttons/lights to make the shipping containers look like receivers. 

Might be a wee bit of a touchy subject but it would make me smile at least, which is all that matters. 

8 hours ago, Irish Magpie said:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/planning-under-way-for-strawberry-place-fan-zone/

I'm sure there will be a bigger image available somewhere. (Is there a way to embed an image link directly? Rather than saving and uploading?)

strawberry-place-fan-zone-3.jpg

Copy and paste the URL of the image into the message box and it'll auto embed if it's not yuge.

6 minutes ago, number37 said:

It would be mint if they named it Stock or Stick or something like that instead in reference to the good old days of beoutQ. Could even paint on a few buttons/lights to make the shipping containers look like receivers. 

Hire loads of Saffers  it's job done. Wilcum to Stick bru.

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

Copy and paste the URL of the image into the message box and it'll auto embed if it's not yuge.

Tend to think that a fanzone / park will be instead of extending St James Park

12 minutes ago, Disco said:

Hire loads of Saffers  it's job done. Wilcum to Stick bru.

Yes! Although we might be getting close to turning it into District 9 territory. 

As a compromise, a pirate themed kids play area should be fine or at the very least, a prominent portrait of Lord Westwood could do the trick too.