St James' Park

Delima

The ‘it’s on a slope’ line is my favourite.

The SJP pitch itself is sloping, there’s something like a 10 metre drop from the Leazes to the Gallowgate.  Photos of the old Gallowgate make it easy to see:

(also, this is what the Gallowgate looked like until 1994-95 - which is why plenty of us don’t get overly misty-eyed over the idea of leaving SJP.  We don’t play in the same ground as we did a few decades ago)

IMG_7429.thumb.jpeg.fcf30b7357881e0cc823a78b5d8e0465.jpeg

29 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The SJP pitch itself is sloping, there’s something like a 10 metre drop from the Leazes to the Gallowgate.  Photos of the old Gallowgate make it easy to see:

(also, this is what the Gallowgate looked like until 1994-95 - which is why plenty of us don’t get overly misty-eyed over the idea of leaving SJP.  We don’t play in the same ground as we did a few decades ago)

10 metres????? thats over 30 feet.

7 minutes ago, huss9 said:

10 metres????? thats over 30 feet.

The pitch was corrected many moons ago.  But there is still a slope.

But the ground itself is on a huge slope - which is why the Gallowgate looks far bigger from the outside than it is on the inside.

So we can see that building a stadium on a slope isn’t an insurmountable problem. 

20 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Tragic they knocked the Leazes down like. The stadium as it was for 3 years looks tremendous 

20 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I was going to say....the 10m slope was evened out over the years. West end were the first to deal with the slope, they leased a piece of land nearer strawberry place and evened out the land and eventually formed an enclosure.

Apparently the reason why there's still a slight slope from inside the ground is that it helps with drainage

27 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

The slope is 5m, 10m would make it unplayable.

For quite a time we played on the full slope - we were notorious for it :)

My original post wasn’t well worded - it reads like I’m saying that there is still a 10m slope on the pitch, when I just meant the site 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

The SJP pitch used to have a more pronounced hump running down it from goal to goal for drainage as well, when drainage was more natural. If you were stood at the bottom of the old stand and a player had the ball by the east stand you wouldn't see his legs below the knee.

Having had the pleasure of 'playing' on it with some good folks from here - back at the end of 09/10 when they rented it out for kickabouts - the only part of it I can vividly recall being uneven was in Strawberry Corner. 

42 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Having had the pleasure of 'playing' on it with some good folks from here - back at the end of 09/10 when they rented it out for kickabouts - the only part of it I can vividly recall being uneven was in Strawberry Corner. 

I'm talking before you were born kidda, well probably, it had the hump as late as the early 80s so probably a while before.

1 hour ago, madras said:

The SJP pitch used to have a more pronounced hump running down it from goal to goal for drainage as well, when drainage was more natural. If you were stood at the bottom of the old stand and a player had the ball by the east stand you wouldn't see his legs below the knee.

I used to stand in the west stand paddock as a kid, used to stand low down so so I was close to the action, and so my view wasn't blocked by adults or the older kids. As you say the hump on the pitch was pronounced, players only visible above the knee. Happy days though, watching football in that type of stadium/environment is long gone.

Edited by Bally21

8 minutes ago, sempuki said:

Darren Eales on Talksport now. Talking about the stadium and everything else. Interesting stuff.

Yes very interesting. So the first conversation on the recent fan survey is due tomorrow. They're currently totally focused on redeveloping SJP (mentioned Anfeld).

6 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

I used to stand in the west stand paddock as a kid, used to stand low down so so I was close to the action, and so my view wasn't blocked by adults or the older kids. As you say the hump on the pitch was pronounced, players only visible above the knee. Happy days though, watching football in that type of stadium/environment is long gone.

Pleased you could confirm my story. I'd often be in the paddocks when the crush for the Gallowgate go too much. Never really had a regular spot until I got a season ticket.

7 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

My earliest days as a supporter were in the old West Stand Centre Paddock.

Very fondly remembered.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Summary please. 

No plans to leave current site unless nothing can done to redevelop SJP and even then it would be after further fan consultation. I got the impression a move away is an option but only within city centre. 

Everything is focused on increasing revenue he did mention the need to remember local fans when the increased corporate seats were mentioned.

In summary the matchday experience and SJP will be changing. 

3 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

No plans to leave current site unless nothing can done to redevelop SJP and even then it would be after further fan consultation. I got the impression a move away is an option but only within city centre. 

Everything is focused on increasing revenue he did mention the need to remember local fans when the increased corporate seats were mentioned.

Thank fuck for that.

6 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Enjoy the game!

1 hour ago, frankpingel said:

Thanks for the summary. All in all good to hear.