St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Can't imagine how it would work logistically or what capacity they can reach, but it would be interesting to hear the plans. 

say it louder for those in the back

probably another 6 month wait if it isn't going to be released until a new CEO is in place

The delay makes total sense. I'm not even convinced the feasibility study is 100% complete, it's a huge undertaking.

Much easier to build fresh on a new site.. there's all manner of surveys which need to be carried out so that a high level costing can be completed - which is what will determine their choice.

Then just say hypothetically a call is made in one direction or the other.. at this point a design team gets put together, even that process can drag on months.

That will need input from those currently in charge of operations at St James'.. this is where you need a chain of command essentially, for them to feed their input to the CEO who can be informed fully at these design team meetings (CS, Fire, QS, PS, M&E, Architects, PM's, PSDS to name but a few) and that's even before a construction contractor is tendered.

Any of the options also require traffic management, drainage management and a whole bunch of other considerations while the building phase is going on too, there's so many different elements.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Dumb question, but should we build a new stadium, what would people want it to be named?

It'd likely be "Newcastle United Stadium" like the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" but thats really boring :lol: 

The 1992'ers Flatpack Fuck The Traditionalists Megadome

34 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Need to see very good renderings before my mind is made up that an expensive renovation rather than a new build is the right idea

This. In my opinion it needs to be more of a rebuild on the current site with maybe an enlarged footprint.

A Gallowgate level 7 is no good. The whole stadium is dated, and we can’t get away with a capacity of 60k, with corporate facilities still lacking.

I don’t see how it is possible considering the site constraints, but if it is, then yes go for it.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Dumb question, but should we build a new stadium, what would people want it to be named?

It'd likely be "Newcastle United Stadium" like the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" but thats really boring :lol: 

In all honesty, I actually think SJP Metro Station should simply be renamed ‘Newcastle United’, much like the ‘Arsenal’ station on the Underground.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

£1bn for an extra 10,000 seats. [emoji38]

That has got to be the justification used for an all new stadium.

It’s like trying to get a 1st story extension over your garage for an extra bedroom, and being quoted the price of a new a 5 bed on Tynemouth Broadway.

If we do rebuild St James, it'll be really interesting to see what we do if we need to relocate temporarily, and where we play our games, as the nearest would be SoL and I highly highly doubt they'll let us :lol:

I can't see us taking an option where we can't play at SJP, because Sunderland is the only realistic alternative ground. 

More like an option to close one stand at a time. 

The whole thing is fucking difficult, mainly why I thought a new stadium is the most likely. Especially on a site that can be worked on without affecting SJP.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can't see us taking an option where we can't play at SJP, because Sunderland is the only realistic alternative ground. 

More like an option to close one stand at a time. 

The whole thing is fucking difficult, mainly why I thought a new stadium is the most likely. Especially on a site that can be worked on without affecting SJP.

We’re not playing at Sunderland like. I know the kid that owns them now has made decisions that have angered their fan base in the past, but this would be on a different level. Even they aren’t that stupid.

Just now, SteV said:

We’re not playing at Sunderland like. I know the kid that owns them now has made decisions that have angered their fan base in the past, but this would be on a different level. Even they aren’t that stupid.

Yeah exactly, that’s why I can’t see any option which involves closing SJP. 

Account with fewer than 500 followers claiming that we’ll pay £1bn to get 10,000 of the cheapest seats in the house added

I’ll take this one with a pinch of salt I reckon

If such an extension is feasible, it’s not going to be £1bn.  The issue is whether or not it is feasible - and it is a pretty extraordinary civil engineering challenge to extend the current Gallowgate.  I still don’t see how it’s done, given that the span is too wide for a steel frame to retain integrity, and you can’t put pile foundations in under Strawberry Place without causing the Metros a few issues …

46 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

The delay makes total sense. I'm not even convinced the feasibility study is 100% complete, it's a huge undertaking.

Much easier to build fresh on a new site.. there's all manner of surveys which need to be carried out so that a high level costing can be completed - which is what will determine their choice.

Then just say hypothetically a call is made in one direction or the other.. at this point a design team gets put together, even that process can drag on months.

That will need input from those currently in charge of operations at St James'.. this is where you need a chain of command essentially, for them to feed their input to the CEO who can be informed fully at these design team meetings (CS, Fire, QS, PS, M&E, Architects, PM's, PSDS to name but a few) and that's even before a construction contractor is tendered.

Any of the options also require traffic management, drainage management and a whole bunch of other considerations while the building phase is going on too, there's so many different elements.

You can cost plan based on assumptions, so you wouldn’t necessarily need to do ground investigation work.  In fact, given that the Metro is underneath, there aren’t as many latent in-ground condition risks as most projects of this scope and scale would have.  But that visibility doesn’t make it easier - I’d rather be worried about extra over costs for unexpected rock than be building over an underground train station

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Account with fewer than 500 followers claiming that we’ll pay £1bn to get 10,000 of the cheapest seats in the house added

I’ll take this one with a pinch of salt I reckon

If such an extension is feasible, it’s not going to be £1bn.  The issue is whether or not it is feasible - and it is a pretty extraordinary civil engineering challenge to extend the current Gallowgate.  I still don’t see how it’s done, given that the span is too wide for a steel frame to retain integrity, and you can’t put pile foundations in under Strawberry Place without causing the Metros a few issues …

Maybe the cost would involve filling in the current Metro tunnel, rerouting it and building a new St James' station, perhaps where the Stack now is.

It's still not worth spending the money on that though for an extra 10k seats that will still  not meet the demand for tickets and also make the stadium atmosphere even worse.

50 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

My order of preference:

New Stadium where we are/Leazes Park

New Stadium at the arena site

Expand SJP

New stadium at another site

Same with the caveat that any new site must be in or touching the city centre. Out of town stadium is absolute no. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo