St James' Park

Delima

14 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Lets hypothetically assume there's absolutely no way can stay at SJP, too many headaches to fit a Megadome on the site and massively reduced attendances for a few years whilst we build will absolutely dry-fuck our finances leaving us floundering mid table for eternity

Where could we go in the city limits that you'd be happy with ?

Honestly nowhere :lol: which is sort of the point. Hanging onto the city limits thing, but also thinking that the arena site constitutes that, doesn't make sense to me as I've said 

I personally would rather stay smaller and hypothetically struggle until PSR gets fired into the sun. Happily it's not up to me :)

Edited by OpenC

12 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Think I'd struggle to maintain interest travelling to a ground at the racecourse 19 times a season like.

You expecting the ballot system to improve like?

Sacrificing the greatest ground location in the country for a few more pennies :suicide:

Honestly question the sanity of any ‘supporter’ who is willing to consider such a ridiculous solution to the stadium situation.

59 minutes ago, Decky said:

What are we expecting in the new year then? Either way will we see concept art or concrete ideas of the new SJP or stadium, or just a decision of what they're gonna do? I'm not overly familiar with planning like this so not sure if they cover all that in these stages.

~January we release 2023/24 accounts that will show how close we came to running foul of PSR, how much progress we've made on commercial revenue, but also making clear how far behind we are from the top 6 on match day / commercials. The next month is spent drip feeding various narratives about the reality of our financial situation and how the club's best asset is its supporters, many of whom are unable to buy tickets.

~ February/March we release an announcement that despite working with the best architects, the city, etc. etc. that there's no way to add more than 8-10k seats to SJP and at a blistering price tag, while explaining how this is not sufficient to compete in modern football. A nearby site has been secured that will support ~20k more seats and more details will be released soon

~April/May - Announce a location with initial concept renderings of a 70-75k seat stadium, plans for the existing site, and details on the women's team. We may and probably should do steps 2 and 3 at the same time.

This is assuming that a refurbish/rebuild on the existing site can't get to 70k+. If it can I still think we do that.
** I obviously have no real information; this is my guess.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s a soulless out of town location and nowhere near Newcastle. 

Also, isn’t Newcastle racecourse in regular use for racing? 

It's still part of Newcastle, what are you on about? :lol:

5 minutes ago, christ said:

Sacrificing the greatest ground location in the country for a few more pennies :suicide:

Honestly question the sanity of any ‘supporter’ who is willing to consider such a ridiculous solution to the stadium situation.

Or location. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I live 2 minutes up the road, it would be an absolute nightmare and already is.

Aye, Sandy Lane is an absolute bastard of a road, and it’s not just limited to rush hour either. It randomly just clogs up all the time.

Also, the racecourse is not the city centre, it will be a no go for many on that basis alone, and it is on the boundary of North Tyneside, and Northumberland.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I live 2 minutes up the road, it would be an absolute nightmare and already is.

Aye me too, it’s a complete non starter, two golf clubs there, a nature reserve and place of SSSI. 

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye, Sandy Lane is an absolute bastard of a road, and it’s not just limited to rush hour either. It randomly just clogs up all the time.

Also, the racecourse is not the city centre, it will be a no go for many on that basis alone, and it is on the boundary of North Tyneside, and Northumberland.

Ladies Day or literally anything on at the Racecourse and that whole area gets the worst traffic you'll ever see in the North East like, it's unbelievably bad.

31 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Think I'd struggle to maintain interest travelling to a ground at the racecourse 19 times a season like.

For what reason out of interest? The ballache of having to travel that far?

13 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

Echoing comments about the racecourse the traffic would be fucking horrendous, see also Kingston Park. 

This is going to be a problem if you relocate anywhere tbh, unless it's far enough out of town. The traffic grinds to a halt in the city centre on a matchday as well, including surrounding areas on the way in. I suppose it's mitigated somewhat by people being able to walk there as it is bang in the city centre.

38 minutes ago, christ said:

Should just go to Dudley or Cramlington and build a 200k place, think of the porples we'll magically be able to afford for a month or two until the league find another way to stop us spending anything after SJP has been bulldozed and turned into glass 'n chrome student accommodation. Nile Ranger House and the Boumsong Building

Edited by OpenC

The impact to the city centre businesses pre and post match would be nuclear. That will 100% weigh into this issue. Also for the club to leave the current site they'd have to break the current lease, which I am sure is costly as fuck too versus some sort of amicable trade / pay off that locks the club in the city centre in exchange for that breakage. 

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Nah, he had to issue a grovelling apology for letting us use a fucking bar in January. I genuinely think he’d be run out of town if he did that.

I think their fans would swiftly come round to the idea if we handed £25m per season to them. It would secure their FFP status for years.

We're in the fortunate position of there being huge swaiths of undeveloped land next to the city centre owned by the freemen or council, that are both likely to be inclined to help the club. We won't be moving out of central Newcastle.

Edited by Jackie Broon

44 minutes ago, christ said:

Perhaps the supporter in question has had no success in the ballot and is currently just as likely to see his/her team play in the flesh if they had a fancy stadium on the Moon?

If the new ground was 5min walk further North, would it still be "the greatest ground location in the country"? Or does that ⅓ of a mile make all the difference?