St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

Guest bimpy474

I've not read the reams of pages since this news broke, but am I right to assume someone's pointed out that lassie from Virgin said 'it should be called SJP' or whatever a while ago?

They have mate, even posted a link to it too.

I've not read the reams of pages since this news broke, but am I right to assume someone's pointed out that lassie from Virgin said 'it should be called SJP' or whatever a while ago?

Yeah, a few times actually. From November 11th the article was, I think...

Was that the one where she said it should be called SJP rather than any other name ?

Those quotes mean nothing. If Virgin are buying the naming rights why wouldn't they put their name in it?

They might be going for the good publicity?

For a few weeks. As opposed to being mentioned in most forms of media every day, whether anyone likes it or not.

Not really a competition is it?

Those quotes mean nothing. If Virgin are buying the naming rights why wouldn't they put their name in it?

doesn't last too long though eh, nowhere near the amount of exposure as having their name on the stadium and it being referred to every week in the media

Guest bimpy474

Chronicle story doesn't even mention naming rights only shirt sponsorship, might be that they aren't interested in ground naming.

Would mean very little outside of NE1. If they're paying big money they're looking for national/international impact.

However if it were to happen I could see a future sponsor incorporating "St.James'Park" into their chosen name.

Would mean very little outside of NE1. If they're paying big money they're looking for national/international impact.

However if it were to happen I could see a future sponsor incorporating "St.James'Park" into their chosen name.

Honestly think it would have national impact if they changed it back - seeing as the original change made such headlines. 'Saint Richard did another lovely thing today' type stuff while providing coverage of the actual sponsorship itself which is the key aim of said sponsorship, of course.

Honestly think it would have national impact if they changed it back - seeing as the original change made such headlines. 'Saint Richard did another lovely thing today' type stuff while providing coverage of the actual sponsorship itself which is the key aim of said sponsorship, of course.

:thup: that's what I was getting at with my glass half full and that.

Yeah, see your point on a national albeit short term basis.

A "Virgin (or whoever) St.James Park" title could be the answer. Finding favour with fans while gaining biggest impact for the sponsor and even get the media off the hook.

I could see Virgin Money being on the shirt until the end of the season (afterall, Northern Rock have already paid until the end of this season). As for stadium naming rights and a long term shirt sponsor deal after that, I doubt it.

Some of you may not know but Richard Branson doesn't own most of the Virgin brands. He sets them up and then tends to sell them. Virgin Atlantic and Galactic (his spaceship company) are his. I'm pretty certain he doesn't own Virgin Media any more. He doesn't own Virgin Records or V2 records. He sold the Virgin F1 team after two poor seasons. Virgin Money only put in around £50m of the £747m used to buy Northern Rock. £250m was put in by a Wall St investor. Richard Branson gets paid by companies which use the Virgin name.

There is no way Richard Branson would buy NUFC.

I'd be content with Virgin (Money) tbh. Looks like "St. James' Park" will somehow find its way into the new stadium name too if Virgin do indeed take the rights. Hope so anyway.

Some great ITK from Rocker :thup:

I could see Virgin Money being on the shirt until the end of the season (afterall, Northern Rock have already paid until the end of this season). As for stadium naming rights and a long term shirt sponsor deal after that, I doubt it.

Some of you may not know but Richard Branson doesn't own most of the Virgin brands. He sets them up and then tends to sell them. Virgin Atlantic and Galactic (his spaceship company) are his. I'm pretty certain he doesn't own Virgin Media any more. He doesn't own Virgin Records or V2 records. He sold the Virgin F1 team after two poor seasons. Virgin Money only put in around £50m of the £747m used to but Northern Rock. £250m was put in by a Wall St investor. Richard Branson gets paid by companies which use the Virgin name.

http://shaigoldman.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/bubble-burst.jpg

Some of you may not know but Richard Branson doesn't own most of the Virgin brands. He sets them up and then tends to sell them. Virgin Atlantic and Galactic (his spaceship company) are his. I'm pretty certain he doesn't own Virgin Media any more. He doesn't own Virgin Records or V2 records. He sold the Virgin F1 team after two poor seasons. Virgin Money only put in around £50m of the £747m used to but Northern Rock. £250m was put in by a Wall St investor. Richard Branson gets paid by companies which use the Virgin name.

Most factual statements of the day.

Mind there hasn't been much competition - apart from the bit where the wifey said the stadium should remain named SJP  ;)