St James' Park

Delima

Can't believe they're Grade I listed. They don't exactly stand out. But then I know nowt about why buildings get listed in certain ways. Only two grades has never made much sense to me.

Actually there are three: Grade I, II* and II. About 90% of all listed buildings are Grade II, about 7% Grade II*, Grade I is for buildings of exceptional significance. Architectural and historic significance come from more than just aesthetic value but you need new eyes if you think that Leazes Terrace doesn't stand out, it's a stunning example of Georgian architecture.

It's obviously a nice building but compared with Westminster Palace and York Minster, which are also Grade I, they're not really up to much. :laugh: That being said, I've absolutely no doubt that a building conservationist would recoil at what I'm saying because, like I say, I don't actually know what I'm talking about and obviously there's significantly more to such a designation than sheer appearance. :lol:

Grade 1 listed buildings are, in simple terms, a building that is deemed to be of exceptional interest and may also have been judged to be of significant national importance.

Grade 1 listing is usually reserved for much older and historically-important buildings, such as cathedrals, castles, towers and town halls.

There are around 6,000 Grade I listed buildings throughout England and Wales.

Here are a FEW examples of Grade 1 listed buildings in the United Kingdom;

Albert Dock, Liverpool

The Palace of Westminster, London

Royal Albert Hall, London

Royal Festival Hall, London (the first Grade I-listed post-war building)

York Minster

Blackpool Tower

Leeds Town Hall

Theatre Royal, Newcastle

Leazes Terrace, Newcastle

Albert Dock, Liverpool

Warwick Castle, Warwick (Warwickshire)

Dock Tower, Grimsby

Lilford Hall, Northamptonshire

It's not a case of whether its physically possible or not. The whole terrace is Grade I listed as a collective, with which the location, setting and historical context is all part of. You can not move it. And nor should you anyway.

Fair enough. I too think they are bloody stunning so wondered if there was a way of keeping them and expanding the East Stand. Especially thankful that T Dan Smith couldn’t get his hands on these buildings.

Guest chopey

They should never have been allowed to build a stadium in front of them really, the idea to move the stadium up a couple of hundred yards is a fantastic one IMO.

You would never have the car park that far away from the ground. It would be needed closer as its to serve officials, players etc.

If it's to serve fans I wouldnt even bother with that.

The car park was intended for bandstand/park users and only put in as an afterthought.

Bored, I knocked this up as a possibility. No green space lost, extra car park for around 80 vehicles.

St-James-Possible.jpg

Can just picture some geese making their way through the turnstyles.

:lol: lovely work.

If we build the whole Stadium from the scratch I am sure we can do a better design than this one. A futuristic one.

Guest The Little Waster

Bored, I knocked this up as a possibility. No green space lost, extra car park for around 80 vehicles.

St-James-Possible.jpg

Can just picture some geese making their way through the turnstyles.

:lol: lovely work.

If we build the whole Stadium from the scratch I am sure we can do a better design than this one. A futuristic one.

Stick it in the centre of the park then rework the trees , pond etc

Guest chopey

I'm 45 and have been to Newcastle city centre on a more or less weekly basis for 35 year and have never been to that park.

Leazes Park is also Grade II listed (oldest park in the city).

It's been altered over time but the pond and original layout is more or less as it was originally. The second pond shown on that link was added later and then filled in during the 40s to create the tennis courts. The Alderman Hamond bust located south-west of the pond is also listed at Grade II:

mCh4nqV.jpg

This makes any plan to completely reshape very unlikely, and even the one Mr Logic posted unfavourable.

That was the original plan if I recall.

Not really.

The proposal would have only slightly encroached on the original layout of Leazes Park, and adding to it significantly. As Manorpark posted earlier in the thread:

NewcastleUnitedFC-1997NewGroundPlan.jpg

This above would certainly be doable subject to again getting the approval of the Freemen as we had in the 90s.

Guest neesy111

Daft question alert.

Who actually are the 'Freemen' of Newcastle?

Is there a list of them, do they keep getting added to every year? If one pops their clogs is it passed on to an heir?

Ask LFEE[/member] as he is a freeman.

Daft question alert.

Is there a list of them, do they keep getting added to every year? If one pops their clogs is it passed on to an heir?

Trading guilds, like coopers and fletchers and upholsterers etc. Goes back a long time, used to only be sons of freemen but now daughters are allowed too. It’s not passed down, you can just sign up your children when they get to a certain age.

Ah I see cheers :)

Sounds daft for someone of my age not to know that, but always wondered.

Like some others I can honestly say I have probably been in some parts of Leazes Park/that area of Newcastle only a handful of times in my entire life!

My excuse is I have been away almost 30 years mind, but still so ignorant of the history of parts of my own city: shameful really.

Ah I see cheers :)

Sounds daft for someone of my age not to know that, but always wondered.

Like some others I can honestly say I have probably been in some parts of Leazes Park/that area of Newcastle only a handful of times in my entire life!

My excuse is I have been away almost 30 years mind, but still so ignorant of the history of parts of my own city: shameful really.

It's certainly different if you live in the city as opposed to only visit now and again. When I lived in the West End I went to Leazes Park pretty frequently as it was a natural way to walk into Town.

Daft question alert.

In short. A few families defended the City wall when under attack 100’s of years ago.

So every male from that day on in those families was eligible to become a Freeman of the City.

The reason only male was it was to keep the family name. Which in turn are part of “companies” which are basically old fashioned trades like Tanner’s and Cordwainer's etc

In the last several year due to the way the modern world thinks they decided to open it up to daughters also which unfortunately has diluted its meaning somewhat as due to marriage it then creates a different family lineage with the name if that makes any sense.

So in my lifetime my grandad was one as was my dad and brother.

It’s a very charitable organisation but after originally being against becoming one I decided to join just to keep numbers up as they were low at the time due to male only lineage and in turn keep the Council’s hands off all the land for as long as possible.

So one of the plus points of the admittance of woman is the numbers have swollen again and that should leave the land we own in safe hands for a long time to come hopefully.

Hope that helps.

Guest chopey

Daft question alert.

In short. A few families defended the City wall when under attack 100’s of years ago.

So every male from that day on in those families was eligible to become a Freeman of the City.

The reason only male was it was to keep the family name. Which in turn are part of “companies” which are basically old fashioned trades like Tanner’s and Cordwainer's etc

In the last several year due to the way the modern world thinks they decided to open it up to daughters also which unfortunately has diluted its meaning somewhat as due to marriage it then creates a different family lineage with the name if that makes any sense.

So in my lifetime my grandad was one as was my dad and brother.

It’s a very charitable organisation but after originally being against becoming one I decided to join just to keep numbers up as they were low at the time due to male only lineage and in turn keep the Council’s hands off all the land for as long as possible.

So the one plus point of the admittance of woman is the numbers have swollen again and that should leave the land we own in safe hands for a long time to come hopefully.

Hope that helps.

Can we have some of that land for a new stadium please ?

Like I’ve said numerous times on here at the time of asking The Freeman were all for the SJH plans using the Leazes Park etc as we could see the benefits and the facelift it would’ve brought to the City.

Doubt they’d think differently as long as capacity of stadium was bigger as NUFC pay us rent for SJP. (Not sure if you aware that a NUFC are one of the few big clubs that doesn’t own the land the ground is built on. It’s a long term leasehold). The history of the likely new owners might be a stumbling block possibly.

Like I’ve said numerous times on here at the time of asking The Freeman were all for the SJH plans using the Leazes Park etc as we could see the benefits and the facelift it would’ve brought to the City.

Doubt they’d think differently as long as capacity of stadium was bigger as NUFC pay us rent for SJP. (Not sure if you aware that a NUFC are one of the few big clubs that doesn’t own the land the ground is built on. It’s a long term leasehold). The history of the likely new owners might be a stumbling block possibly.

That's interesting. I always thought the club paid rent to the city council? And leased the land directly from them?

That's interesting. I always thought the club paid rent to the city council? And leased the land directly from them?

It’s Freeman land not Council land. The club pay us rent. Whether it goes to Council for them to pass straight to us I couldn’t argue either way as not 100% but I’m pretty sure it comes direct. Along with the Hopping’s it’s one of the two main incomes for the Freeman which is spent maintaining our land, properties and various charitable stuff.

Do you have cows, LFEE[/member] ?

I don’t but if I do I could let them graze on the land :lol: Sadly the livestock does get attacked quite often unfortunately. Some sick people out there unfortunately.

Guest neesy111

Do you have cows, LFEE[/member] ?

I don’t but if I do I could let them graze on the land. Sadly the livestock does get attacked quite often unfortunately. Some sick people out there unfortunately.

Bet lots of drunk people try to do cow tipping.