St James' Park

Delima

Maybe there is an incentivising people in Leazes Terrace to accept a loss of light.

Remembering clubs have bought streets to demolish them for new stands before, admittedly the street next to Ewood Park that Jack Walker bought and flattened was hardly Leazes Terrace standard.

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This mightn't be far off in the end then. 

image.png.e64f63a3196e99406da7a1946a9f0075.png

Yep, this seems looks very much how SJP will end up looking I reckon. They will do the Gallowgate when the club's profile & never ending demand for tickets justifies the costs.

12 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Not what most expected when it came to extending SJP. Be interesting to see the next move if it’s a non starter.

Also agree with this though. The feasibility study could be the catalyst for a new stadium behind Leazes Park.

Very interesting - if that is actually possible and then a future Gallowgate expansion could happen if demand warranted it it would mean there's a path to having the second biggest club stadium in the country, right?

7 hours ago, Heron said:

Love this pic but also feel a bit embarrassed about it for some reason :lol:

I’m more confused that you stand nearer a back row and it looks further down.

Was this taken during one of your poke people in the eye walkabouts? :lol:

Makes perfect sense to go for planning permission on the East Stand first. The Gallowgate may be more complex, but I think they know that can be done.

One of the biggest barriers to remaining is the state of the East Stand. PIF will want a world class stadium, you can develop the Gallowgate all day long, but if left with the East Stand in its current guise, it’s just not compatible with their aims going forward.

Another reason for developing the east stand is that its prime for executive boxes, which will massively increase commercial revenue.

If they can’t do what they want with the East Stand it’ll force a huge re-think, they want everything best in class, that doesn’t include a run down East Stand.

Very clever and calculated going for planning permission their first in my opinion.

Edited by Whitley mag

13 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I’m more confused that you stand nearer a back row and it looks further down.

Was this taken during one of your poke people in the eye walkabouts? :lol:

Aye, I believe I was stood on the wall of the middle tier walkway of the Gallowgate and this was vs Southampton.

49 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Makes perfect sense to go for planning permission on the East Stand first. The Gallowgate may be more complex, but I think they know that can be done.

One of the biggest barriers to remaining is the state of the East Stand. PIF will want a world class stadium, you can develop the Gallowgate all day long, but if left with the East Stand in its current guise, it’s just not compatible with their aims going forward.

Another reason for developing the east stand is that its prime for executive boxes, which will massively increase commercial revenue.

If they can’t do what they want with the East Stand it’ll force a huge re-think, they want everything best in class, that doesn’t include a run down East Stand.

Very clever and calculated going for planning permission their first in my opinion.

Tin foil hat time but they may also be thinking if planning is rejected it opens up an acceptable narrative for moving the ground to Leazes Park. 

5 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Tin foil hat time but they may also be thinking if planning is rejected it opens up an acceptable narrative for moving the ground to Leazes Park. 

I think exactly this and if we can’t develop the East Stand, I think that’s fair enough.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

I think exactly this and if we can’t develop the East Stand, I think that’s fair enough.

Agreed. Three monster stands and some pokey shed just looks daft.

They’re never going to expand the current patch of grass in any meaningful way, fwiw.  

They may do it temporarily or move us temporarily elsewhere butttttt. 

The new spot will be up the hill. Leazes Park style. At best. And I really really hope it stays in the same area. 

32 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

They’re never going to expand the current patch of grass in any meaningful way, fwiw.  

They may do it temporarily or move us temporarily elsewhere butttttt. 

The new spot will be up the hill. Leazes Park style. At best. And I really really hope it stays in the same area. 

What is it with people?

Just accept that our astute new owners agree with most Newcastle United supporters - we will expand St James' Park as much as all the money in the world will enable us to, and whatever we do we are staying at St James' Park !!! 

Edited by manorpark

49 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Can I ask why?

Atmosphere rubbish, too big usually, seem to be different people there probably because of the prices. People moan now about people leaving before half time, coming back late etc and it’s even worse at somewhere like Spurs with people sat eating doughnuts and fish and chips while game is going on.

The guy who owns St James' Terrace is interviewed here and all but admits he'd sell it to the club if they wanted to bulldoze it. He also believes it would be allowed to be demolished.

59 minutes ago, manorpark said:

What is it with people?

Just accept that our astute new owners agree with most Newcastle United supporters - we will expand St James' Park as much as all the money in the world will enable us to, and whatever we do we are staying at St James' Park !!! 

The fans want the stadium to stay in the city centre. That is the unnegotiable part. The vast majority of the fanbase would accept relocation to Leazes Park. And if this feasiblity study rules out East Stand redevelopment then I think it's nailed on that the move will be outlined to the supporters.

There may well be a point in the near future when the fanbase are going to have to decide how far they want this club to go and what sacrifices they want to make to get there.

If you move to Leazes Park not only can you build the most impressive stadium in the league without impacting FFP but you can also legitimately sell the naming rights which will significantly improve FFP. 

SJP can then be redeveloped to become the extended fan zone. 

Edited by Matt1892

Nah, there's no way on gods earth i'd want us to destroy leazes park for a football stadium, especially if we don't give the land SJP is on to be made into a new green space.

We'll find a way to get some more seats out of it.

1 minute ago, Joey said:

Nah, there's no way on gods earth i'd want us to destroy leazes park for a football stadium, especially if we don't give the land SJP is on to be made into a new green space.

We'll find a way to get some more seats out of it.

It wouldnt be destroyed. The vast majority of the new stadium would be on the land just behind the park. The park could then be extended, by converting the existing SJP land into parkland.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

The guy who owns St James' Terrace is interviewed here and all but admits he'd sell it to the club if they wanted to bulldoze it. He also believes it would be allowed to be demolished.

As much as I love football - it'd be a crime to knock down those buildings. Just wiping more history from the City.

Edited by duo