St James' Park

Delima

57 minutes ago, Wandy said:

This video is interesting. According to someone in the comments the Gallowgate land is going to be called "Sela City Zone" and they are even considering building a tunnel from St James Boulevard to bypass traffic away from that area.  Whatever happens, it looks like the land is going to be significantly different from the usual bog-standard fan zone.

Heres a prediction , the fan zone will be instead of enlarging St James Park 

7 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

No chance. It will all happen in one development I think, albeit maybe in stages. Jamie Reuben already stated in that recent podcast that stadium expansion was an important part of growing the club.

44 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

They’re definitely following the City route to a tee apart illegally breaking of ffp. The Ethiad fan zone is pretty decent but obviously it was needed due to there being absolutely nothing around that area. 

Whereas we’re right in the city centre. Hopefully it doesn’t take too much trade away from places in the town. 

I haven’t watched the video, mostly because I find that the people who do it, usually take something from an article, and come up with an answer that’s nowhere near.

Anyway, here’s my 2 cents.

I feel like you have touched on the need for a fanzone in regards to FFP. Having a fanzone where shirts are sold, food and beverages etc would increase our income, especially if it can be used outside of match days and in addition to having match going fans, we also have fans outside watching the match (where applicable).

On top of this, if we are extending or rebuilding SJP, then they will likely be wanting to host events, such as Champions League finals, and I’m guessing they will use it as pressure to take the FA Cup semi-finals back to neutral venues. For UEFA and FIFA competition finals, you are required to have a fan park outside the stadium. Currently we already have mini fan parks, but having a dedicated permanent space allows us to one up our competitors. In the case of Euro’s or World Cup bids, it’s something over the SOL. I can see many reasons why we would be interested in a fan park, and I don’t think one reason alone would be the reason why we do. 

1 hour ago, Likelylad said:

They’re definitely following the City route to a tee apart illegally breaking of ffp. The Ethiad fan zone is pretty decent but obviously it was needed due to there being absolutely nothing around that area. 

Whereas we’re right in the city centre. Hopefully it doesn’t take too much trade away from places in the town. 

dont think it will.

fanzones arent for everyone.

15 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

A fanzone that's open on away days seems like it would be a hit. Even better if the club can broadcast matches that aren't on TV (probably not allowed).

Nah, it won’t be allowed. They are only allowed to be shown at the stadium.

3 hours ago, Likelylad said:

Doubtful, be aimed more towards kids/families 

2 hours ago, Wandy said:

No chance. It will all happen in one development I think, albeit maybe in stages. Jamie Reuben already stated in that recent podcast that stadium expansion was an important part of growing the club.

Reckon the fan zone will count in their eyes as ' stadium ' expansion 

1 minute ago, Orphanage said:

Reckon the fan zone will count in their eyes as ' stadium ' expansion 

Will they get 6,000 to 8,000 people in to watch a match (that currently can't be shown) and paying for a season ticket for it and also ramping up the value of the club ? If not I don't  think they'll see that as kind of expansion.

The fan zone planned for the St James metro site will probably be a temp thing until the redevelopment get going.

Man United in 94/95 and Boro 89/90 (to the ground) and mackems away 96/97 (arena) were shown live.

Platinum club beambacks too showed live away matches. This sounds like an extension of that.

The place was drunk dry for a match at Bolton. That plus the price of tickets, probably made a fair wedge for them.

Wonder if something has changed with the rights.

*just sifted through my ticket stubs - Sheffield Wednesday in March 94 was £10 a ticket

Edited by Wolfcastle

6 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Man United in 94/95 and Boro 89/90 (to the ground) and mackems away 96/97 (arena) were shown live.

Platinum club beambacks too showed live away matches. This sounds like an extension of that.

The place was drunk dry for a match at Bolton. That plus the price of tickets, probably made a fair wedge for them.

Wonder if something has changed with the rights.

*just sifted through my ticket stubs - Sheffield Wednesday in March 94 was £10 a ticket

One of my first memories of following Newcastle was going there with me dad to watch a cup game versus Blackburn, Saha scored iirc. 

Just now, SteV said:

Fanzones are all well and good in half decent weather. Bit less attractive in February when it’s -2 and pissing down.

Depends if it’s covered.

However I have for a little while now, probably since the 2018 World Cup, advocated for changing the season to the summer and having fan parks dotted around the country.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Depends if it’s covered.

However I have for a little while now, probably since the 2018 World Cup, advocated for changing the season to the summer and having fan parks dotted around the country.

March till Sept ?

4 hours ago, Orphanage said:

I think expansion will happen, just not in the time frame most people are expecting. 

Unfortunately, even though I really want it to happen, I don't think it's on the priority list.  such a huge financial outlay wouldn't be practical right now. There's still a grey area whether FFP affects stadiums, some will say no, others will argue it does now. 

My hope is that a fanzone can be integrated into an expansion, that maybe you have access to part of the stadium underneath the new gallowgate rather than something that gets in the way of a rebuild.

St James will be a venue in euro 2028, there's no way they are going to start expansion in 2027 or even 2026 for that reason. 

I predict that they see expansion after then and the fanzone is more of a short term solution. 

Personally Im not generally excited by a fanzone, but if it makes more sense of the club to grow right now then I can't argue 

18 minutes ago, SteV said:

Fanzones are all well and good in half decent weather. Bit less attractive in February when it’s -2 and pissing down.

I won't see the appeal if it's fucking freezing and charging 7.50 for Madri and waiting ages in a queue. And the only view is the metro entrance. 

Rather go to a regular bar