St James' Park

Delima

21 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Nope.

But if the basic premise of FFP was to ensure that clubs were not spending more than they earned and, in doing so, prevent them from falling into financial trouble which could threaten their existence.

Is spending a billion on a stadium not a threat to income and then their existence ? What if an owner reduces the size of a stadium ?

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

But if the basic premise of FFP was to ensure that clubs were not spending more than they earned and, in doing so, prevent them from falling into financial trouble which could threaten their existence.

Is spending a billion on a stadium not a threat to income and then their existence ? What if an owner reduces the size of a stadium ?

There are two elements to this I can think of:

1 - the positive one - a stadium is a fixed asset.  Once built, the club reaps the benefits - this is particularly the case if the cost is met upfront

2 - the cynical one - all the current big clubs are the ones who are truly protected by FFP.  However, facilities are expensive and required - so they won't want their FFP to be hit by building a billion-pound stadium

36 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Show me all of these online reviews of the SJP atmosphere from away fans who went and raved about it then, and I will concede the point.

I did this a while back and it got dismissed as people on YouTube/TikTok fishing for clicks, so I'll save myself the effort if you don't mind. You already know where to look.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I did this a while back and it got dismissed as people on YouTube/TikTok fishing for clicks, so I'll save myself the effort if you don't mind. You already know where to look.

A cop out if ever I saw one. :lol:

I'm not daft enough to believe anything would change your mind if you already think the Etihad is a better atmosphere than SJP. 

Here's that list for everyone btw. So literally just Arsenal from the soulless bowls list that are above us and no Etihad in sight. Case closed :lol:

Screenshot_20230810_081708_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc81a2336fc87be4879d8862095c50c1.jpg

Edited by Kid Icarus

32 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

If the atmosphere is bad now I can’t imagine moving stadium will make it any better @Wandy

See, I disagree with that. If a stadium was built big enough to let back in all of the noisy fans from the last 20 years who walked away, with well designed & symmetrical stands, then you would see a much better atmosphere.

The best option to improve the current SJP though is extend L7 to the Gallowgate to give it a horseshoe effect, then squeeze a new two tiered stand onto the East Stand plot, with a glass section taking its roofline up to match L7s. Your then keeping all of the sound in.

Level 7 isnt great for views but if it extended around most of the stadium then people in it would feel like your actually a part of the match experience. At the moment there is a feeing of detachment when your up there.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm not daft enough to believe anything would change your mind if you already think the Etihad is a better atmosphere than SJP. 

Here's that list for everyone btw. So literally just Arsenal from the soulless bowls list that are above us and no Etihad in sight. Case closed :lol:

Screenshot_20230810_081708_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc81a2336fc87be4879d8862095c50c1.jpg

The case isnt closed at all, you lunatic. :lol:

This was used to dispel the myth about the stadiums that get lazily tagged as "soulless bowls" by the likes of you. 

I look forward to you providing all of this evidence of the fantastic SJP atmosphere from away fans. ;)

45 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There are two elements to this I can think of:

1 - the positive one - a stadium is a fixed asset.  Once built, the club reaps the benefits - this is particularly the case if the cost is met upfront

2 - the cynical one - all the current big clubs are the ones who are truly protected by FFP.  However, facilities are expensive and required - so they won't want their FFP to be hit by building a billion-pound stadium

AFAIK infrastructure costs including stadiums does not count for FFP but the additional revenue does so the advantage of building a bigger stadium is there if you can afford it

6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The case isnt closed at all, you lunatic. :lol:

This was used to dispel the myth about the stadiums that get lazily tagged as "soulless bowls" by the likes of you. 

I look forward to you providing all of this evidence of the fantastic SJP atmosphere from away fans. ;)

I was being sarcastic because your point was such an own goal.

"All the stadiums that get dismissed as soulless bowls by the likes of you"

The only one that was called soulless that features on that list is the Emirates. No one gave that tag to Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge. It was Emirates, Etihad, London Stadium, Wembley and others, none of which feature on that list let alone above Newcastle in 4th. It's an own goal in terms of trying to make your point.

19 minutes ago, Wandy said:

See, I disagree with that. If a stadium was built big enough to let back in all of the noisy fans from the last 20 years who walked away, with well designed & symmetrical stands, then you would see a much better atmosphere.

The best option to improve the current SJP though is extend L7 to the Gallowgate to give it a horseshoe effect, then squeeze a new two tiered stand onto the East Stand plot, with a glass section taking its roofline up to match L7s. Your then keeping all of the sound in.

Level 7 isnt great for views but if it extended around most of the stadium then people in it would feel like your actually a part of the match experience. At the moment there is a feeing of detachment when your up there.

I agree with all of that.

Only trickiness would be to see whether the ‘noisy’ old guard could 

A) get back in

B) be more dedicated safe standing/singing sections. 

Because if they just increased capacity but it just meant that more ‘bodies’ were in the stadium, I doubt it would make much difference other than ‘locking in’ some of the noise that might escape out over the Gallowgate.

I am incredibly interested to see what the atmosphere is like on Saturday. I have a feeling @Wallsendmag Bolton Wanderers at home in 1996 could be more common throughout the season.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I was being sarcastic because your point was such an own goal.

"All the stadiums that get dismissed as soulless bowls by the likes of you"

The only one that was called soulless that features on that list is the Emirates. No one gave that tag to Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge. It was Emirates, Etihad, London Stadium, Wembley and others, none of which feature on that list let alone above Newcastle in 4th. It's an own goal in terms of trying to make your point.

So the Emirates is soulless, yet away fans rate it’s home atmosphere higher than SJP.  Remind me again about own goals?

40 minutes ago, Wandy said:

So the Emirates is soulless, yet away fans rate it’s home atmosphere higher than SJP.  Remind me again about own goals?

Well done, one of the stadiums mentioned is rated one higher than SJP following a title challenging season. Your medal's in the post :lol:

13 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

People were moaning about the atmosphere twenty years ago as well. 

If you're a loud passionate fan then it will always annoy you that everyone else doesn't make enough noise. Sadly when there are 70k people in the stadium, most of them will not be loud. 

Maybe it's a cop out from me, but I always think that what happens on the pitch is the biggest factor in the atmosphere. Maybe we can provide a spark at times, but the players really need to step up first and give the crowd something to shout about. 

In regards to atmosphere it's more about the seating of ground that stops making it better. We don't have an "end" we have too much of a spread of fans across the ground. You want the leazes and Gallowgate to both have big standing presence with game fans, and more tame fans in East stand and oppisite.

Our trouble is we have so many boring moany pricks who think they need to die in their seat.

No one is telling me it you had 4k even standing in both ends it wouldnt make a drastic improvement. Leeds Wolves and even Arsenal improved doing this.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Well done, one of the stadiums mentioned is rated one higher than SJP following a title challenging season. Your medal's in the post :lol:

Higher is higher, the rest is semantics. The stadium that you singled out as having a soulless matchday experience compared to SJP is, in fact, rated higher than SJP for that very thing by actual visiting away fans.

12 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Higher is higher, the rest is semantics. The stadium that you singled out as having a soulless matchday experience compared to SJP is, in fact, rated higher than SJP for that very thing by actual visiting away fans.

No, it wasn't singled out, it was one example on a long list of examples, that you've cherry picked and managed to find one list where it ranks higher while ignoring every other example. It's fine, I can see what you're doing and cba. Agree to disagree

Edited by Kid Icarus

Arsenal atmosphere in being decent during their first season challenging for the title in years shocker!! I went to our 0-0 last season and the atmosphere was decent - been over 10 times and 9/10 it’s been a terrible atmosphere.