St James' Park

Delima

13 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, with you 100%.  Soft landscaping of the current SJP - effectively extending Leazes Park - always sounded good to me.

John Hall wanted to use the existing SJP for Newcastle / Gosforth Rugby Club when we owned them if I remember right?   Maybe a vastly reduced SJP could be used for the women’s side + youth teams etc

I think the womans side and youth teams will get a smaller arena at the new training centre.

The whole area is allocated for mixed redevelopment. The problem is it's difficult to deliver a masterplanned scheme because remediation costs are huge in areas, and the land ownership is a patchwork quilt (see within that document). So each landowner likely wants to maximise their own bit of the site. It's why there has been so limited progress to deliver it so far.

The fact it's on a slope barely matters, re-contouring it to deliver a stadium is perfectly feasible considering the level of remediation and groundwork that would be required anyway.

I don't want a modern stadium over there personally, but if PIF wanted to I don't think they'd have much issue convincing land owners to sell up all and consolidating the site - they certainly wouldn't have any resistance developing it from the authorities.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Is the Arena site even big enough?

image.thumb.png.0165460d81c30a3c9917943f90646896.png

Seems extremely narrow if the Arena is to also to stay there. 

There's a lot of empty land, as well as vacant or tertiary commercial/light industrial units adjacent to or in the vicinity of the Arena. If the desire was there to purchase pretty much every parcel of land all the way to Newcastle Business Park, it would get done. 

In the whole Leazes/Town Moor plan; imagine if the compromise was the existing SJP was converted to small public football ground where the local community could play; it had a massive nod to NUFC etc and generations of residents could “forever” play on the sacred turf; where their heroes played and where their families fell in love with the club. 

10 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Arena is going as far as I’m aware. 

Just buy up all this land. It’ll be enough. 

IMG_1068.jpeg

Opening game abandoned after Newcastle run out of balls after Fabian Schar boots the lot into the Tyne and Graeme Jones suggests playing without a ball ala Mike Bassett England Manager.

23 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Arena is going as far as I’m aware. 

Just buy up all this land. It’ll be enough. 

IMG_1068.jpeg

A new bridge over to Gateshead side also, plenty of land there for a car park/fans area, with easy links to A1

I'll give me vote to the old arena area for a new stadium, the old ground/land will end up used for student accommodation regardless 

12 minutes ago, BigValley said:

What about the river on the picture? What if the river floods and it goes up over a 1 meter or more.

I am from Norway and can not see the picture good enough. 

We'd be fine

image.thumb.png.f11395686adee3f4b64fd4db8c655929.png

13 minutes ago, BigValley said:

What about the river on the picture? What if the river floods and it goes up over a 1 meter or more.

Big floats [emoji38]

image.thumb.png.dc08110abe379595096cf8c7078af002.png

On 07/12/2023 at 11:06, ponsaelius said:

The fact it's on a slope barely matters, re-contouring it to deliver a stadium is perfectly feasible considering the level of remediation and groundwork that would be required anyway.

The slope ...

IMG_4239.thumb.jpeg.69184dffb8c88073d957b6984a5bb658.jpeg

8 hours ago, Izakaya said:

Is that old trainline running past the arena site still in use?

Technically yes but I don't think anythings been that far down for years. The portion of it to about the Redheugh bridge is regularly used.

4 hours ago, BigValley said:

Is it feasible the river could rise so high that it would leave the atmosphere ?